Scams

They're everywhere, con artists, frauds, crooked taxi drivers, and such. When you're an expat or aspiring expat, they're particularly daunting. Lack of knowledge of local prices, rules, and customs can make you an easy mark.

Perhaps, if we share our experiences and stories, we can learn from each other's mistakes and help each other identify scams before it's too late. We can also explain and share stories about things that look and sound like a scam, but really are legitimate ways in which things are done here.

I'll start with a taxis...

I take taxis enough to know the prices between point A and point B at different times of the day and different traffic levels. Normally, I feel relieved when I find a taxi that has a functioning meter, so I don't have to overcome the gringo price bump taking a taxi across Quito. Unfortunately, some taxis are getting more sophisticated with their scams. On more than one occasion I've seen "fast" meters where a $2 ride came to $5 or more on the meter. Not a huge deal, but if you're taking a longer ride, it could really add up. So far I haven't seen anything as scandalous as the taxis in Istanbul, where a bump of a radio knob might also bump the fare $20.

My advice in Quito is to try to stick to the black and yellow cabs, as they seem to be the least shady. If a taxi has no meter, negotiate a price first. Also, if you try to hail a taxi, and you get some random guy driving a car that is obviously not a legal taxi, don't freak out. Use your judgement. I've taken many not-a-real-taxis and paid reasonable prices. I also recommend trying to  quickly get a feel for and memorize what a $1 taxi ride is. If you ask the price for a short ride, you're letting the driver know you're new to the area, and inviting him to overcharge. It's better to assume the ride is only $1 and confidently hand the driver just that. If it's short, he'll let you know.

jessekimmerling wrote:

Are there street addresses in Ecuador? Not in Costa Rica. The legal descriptions are expressed in meters from some known landmark, like a famous tree, (famous perhaps because the virgin Mary appeared)

For 30 sec of the discussion you discuss where it is you are going, and by what route, closing with a fixed price.

James-Esq wrote:
jessekimmerling wrote:

Are there street addresses in Ecuador? Not in Costa Rica. The legal descriptions are expressed in meters from some known landmark, like a famous tree, (famous perhaps because the virgin Mary appeared)

For 30 sec of the discussion you discuss where it is you are going, and by what route, closing with a fixed price.

In Quito, yes, for the most part. Typically, you can write down and show a taxi the nearest major intersection. Outside of Quito, Ibarra, and Tena I don't have much experience with Ecuadorian taxis and the address system.

It took me a while to get used to the taxis here. At first, I would opt to walk for miles rather than deal with the frustration. I've still got a chip on my shoulder after dealing with the Istanbul taxi drivers.

I didn't find Quito bad at all.

Of course there were plenty of people looking to extract our $$$ but their manipulations were not so terribly overwhelming, and by and large they were relatively fair-dealing people.

Get out more often sir, where counterfeit currency is a constant risk, where getting into a transport car is menace to survival, where vendors sell known toxic foodstuffs from every stall.

Ecuador is a -0 on the ripoff scale.

I'd be happy to refer you to many far worser places. Just ask for references, I can think of plenty.

gardener1 wrote:

I didn't find Quito bad at all.

Of course there were plenty of people looking to extract our $$$ but their manipulations were not so terribly overwhelming, and by and large they were relatively fair-dealing people.

Get out more often sir, where counterfeit currency is a constant risk, where getting into a transport car is menace to survival, where vendors sell known toxic foodstuffs from every stall.

Ecuador is a -0 on the ripoff scale.

I'd be happy to refer you to many far worser places. Just ask for references, I can think of plenty.

Yes sir, I'll try to get out more often sir. I can't wait to experience these "far worser" places you speak of.

Since you brought it up, counterfeit $ is another good topic. There's a lot of it going around Ecuador. You'll notice people scrutinizing even the $5 bills. I'm yet to get burned, but I watched a scene unfold when a lady got given a fake $10 on a bus in Otavalo, and my gf said she once had a clerk for a utility company switch out her $ for counterfeit twenties and then try to claim that my gf was the one using the counterfeit bills. I've been told to watch out for people who handle a lot of cash because if they get stuck with a counterfeit bill they will try to pass off the hot potato.

Not sure if this is a particular problem in Ecuador or not. Tend to think probably not, but if talking about taxis a scam that comes to mind is the driver will stop and pick another passenger up while you are still in the car, and then they will rob you. Can't say have heard this being a big problem in Ecuador, but if happens to you, may be best to tell the driver no, and or get out. Also note this usually occurs with non marked taxis, and later at night.

I was told by a friend that she always, always keep one dollar coins in her pocket. She takes the taxi, takes what she knows the ride cost and runs away before the driver start complainting!

I like it so much!! haha

Im from Guayaquil, (I look diferent than someone from the highlands) and always they ask me more money for a ride. I negociate. But, I think I will start keeping $1 in my pocket and runing away like a wild cat!!