Motorbike Insurance Claims

Just curious, has anyone, Expat or Expat friends, ever file a claim with a Vietnamese insurance company for their motorbike or car damage?

During last Sunday's orphanage trip, I noticed several young people standing by the side of the Hà Nội Highway selling motorbike insurance for a measly 10,000 VND (less than 50 cents).  I think it's a scam.  Probably just to sell the piece of paper so you don't get fined by the Traffic Police when they pull you over.

But that got me into thinking about my own insurance company.  I paid 90,000 for mine but never made any claims on it.  Would I find out when I do make a claim that it's a scam as well?

Has anyone made a claim and did the insurance company pay you anything or just gave you the runaround?  Do insurance companies, at least for motorbike/cars, just sell you a "don't fine me Traffic Police" card or do they actually deliver when you do get in an accident?

Hello,

I think for car, many people can claim to insurance company, because it's costly.
But with me, I havent claimed yet and in fact, I dont know how can to be indemnified

i bought mine at honda showroom, never claim.....i remember i paid 80,000 for it,. i ride honda cbr 150r.....dont know how to claim it also.....have that pcs of paper for a safe mind when riding....

mine is expired, never mind to buy one ^^

Article about it in the news this afternoon:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/business/13786/mo … in-vietnam

As i know, it only indemnifies for Third party.

thanhmai296 wrote:

mine is expired, never mind to buy one ^^

Well, going on the Đà Lạt Highway sometime earlier this year, I was stopped by the Traffic Police (CSGT) and one policeman looked over my three pieces of paper: driver's license, owner's registration, and insurance card.  He actually NOTICED my insurance card had expired and was about to fine me (he was fining everyone else).  But after realizing I was a tourist and maybe not aware of the insurance validity, he let me go with a warning.

Since I didn't have to donate to the Policemen's Retirement Fund I drove down the street and bought a new insurance policy.  The owner of a coffee shop (yah, how does he get to be an expert in insurance right?) sold it to me for about 90K.  I then went back to the same policeman and showed him my new insurance card as a way of thanking him for his professionalism.

Don't drive with an expired insurance card....just go buy one for 10,000 VND on the Hà Nội Highway.  :P

Budman1 wrote:

Awesome...a source!

jimbream wrote:
Bigjeff wrote:

i bought mine at honda showroom, never claim.....i remember i paid 80,000 for it,. i ride honda cbr 150r.....dont know how to claim it also.....have that pcs of paper for a safe mind when riding....

As I understand it,the insurance paper is only legitimate for the person who's name is on the 'blue card'.
Hopefully I am mistaken on this.When I bought my bikes,the insurance was written out to the name of the person on the 'blue card'.
Anyone have updates?

Because the name on the blue card is the owner of the vehicle, they have to sell it since it covers the vehicle, not the person (like a health insurance card).

So I'm sure if you didn't register the motorbike, even if you bought it used, the insurance company will give you the runaround for not being the "insured".  Or you gotta go find the guy whose name is on the blue card to get a claim.

Budman1 wrote:

Selling the motorbike insurance, meanwhile, has emerged as a lucrative business for the insurers as there is little chance that their customers will claim compensation....Drivers deem the procedure to claim compensation complex ....

Since motorbike insurance brings huge revenues but has a relatively short term, a number of insurers have ‘jumped' into the field, and are now raking in billions of dong per month, a chief officer of an insurer told Tuoi Tre.

So...it reads like a scam to me.

Can I claim anyone for this insurance?
I got an accident last year, my motorbike was damaged, but I dont know how and where to claim.

thanhmai296 wrote:

Can I claim anyone for this insurance?
I got an accident last year, my motorbike was damaged, but I dont know how and where to claim.

Not sure but I do know you need the police investigative report.  I've seen people just fall over on their motorbikes and seeming looks fine but they'll leave the motorbike IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD (so as to cause more accidents I guess) and wait for the CSGT to arrive to make a report.

Do you have that report?

jimbream wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

So I'm sure if you didn't register the motorbike.

Buddy,
You lost me on that one. Didn't register the bike?
As for the hold ups with bikes laying on the road,I've only seen that after a presumed fatality because the bikes were not expensive looking.
Back to the OP re. insurance claims,if your name isn't on the registration paper and the insurance paper,you will have to contact the owner who OF COURSE will have to declare that they were driving 'your' bike during the said time of the accident.And of course as you mentioned,gotta get the boys in beige to investigate the scene.

The blue card is the owner's registration card.  If you register the bike (again) after you bought it used, then your name appears on the blue card.

When you buy a used motorbike, you hand the owner cash and he/she hands you the keys to the motorbike as well as the blue card (owner's registration).  You can then go to the District-Level police and re-register the motorbike in your name.

Most people don't bother with re-registering the bike after they purchase it because of the red tape.  You also need to find the person whose name is on the blue card to write a sales agreement...good luck tracking them down!

It's true that you are entitled to claim for compensation in case of accident and the Insurance Companies are liable to allow the claim if everything is okay. For that first you need a valid insurance. When you met an accident you or your agent should inform the nearest police station and the insurance company without moving the vehicle to make report and take photographs.
But who cares? All are busy! So most of us try to escape from the scene as soon as possible and pay money from our pocket to repair. Nobody want to involved in 'red tape'. As a result, insurance company get more benefit :D And we know well that it's not easy to get claim from insurance companies! In short, MV Insurance is a 'show card' for CSGT!