American , wanting to move to Valencia, Spain !

Hey everyone ! I am an American girl wanting to move to Spain. I am super confused on how to make this happen. I am 21 years old and want to move there after I finish 4 years of college, which I will be starting 2015. I have questions that I need answers for :(

Such as ,

1. How can I live in Spain ?
2. The cost ?
3. Job ?
4. Will being an American be hard while living in Spain ?
5. What are the best areas of Valencia ?
6. Bringing a pet to Spain ?
7. Life in Spain ?
8. What kind of career could you get in Spain if you move there as an American with a Spanish literature degree ?
9. Learning the language ?
10. How diverse is Spain ?

Just a whole bunch of questions lol

you can leave with skype to contact family :p the cost little bit expensive, i dont think it's gonna be hard for you since you know the language (they dont speak english here, just a few people), you can bring a pet there is many areas for pets, and yes its diverse

Hi Dollie, I lived in Valencia for 6 months after I got out of the Navy and have visited Valencia over the past 30 years. It's my favorite city in Spain. To answer some of your questions;
I believe that you can only stay for 6 months on a tourist visa, but if you visit a Spanish consulate in the States, you can get info on how to get a work or student visa that allows you to stay much longer.

The cost to live there will be relatively cheap. The real estate housing bust has created thousands of foreclosures and cheap rent. You can rent an apartment in Valencia for around 500 euros fully furnished. Obviously the nicer areas will cost more, but this isn't the States where you have poor areas that are dangerous. The entire city of Valencia is very safe. There are many areas around Valencia that are great to live in and it depends on what you want. The Valencia city beach area of Malvarrossa and Las Arenas has lots of small apartments that are within a 5 minute walk to the beach. The Barrio El Carmen area is great with very old residential apartments and a great maze of narrow cobblestone streets that remind me of Rome. Lots of nightlife and restaurants. The Blasco Ibaniz area by the University is good as is the Ruzafa district by the Gran Via. The City of Arts and Sciences area of Valencia is very new and modern, but has no metro stations close by. If I were you I would find an apartment that is affordable and within a 5 minute walk of a metro station.

Finding a job will not be easy. Unemployment is high in Spain. Try to teach English or find a job in a restaurant or club. I believe there is a program in Spain that brings foreigners in to teach English. Check with the consulate

Being an American in Spain is great. You will bring back (that's even if you want to come back) many great memories. Spaniards are very warm and fun loving people.

Life in Spain is awesome. You will need to learn the times to eat. Everyone eats 5 times a day at certain hours. Breakfast (desayuno) when you first get up. Usually coffee and toast. Amuerzo about 2 hours later consists of usually a bocadillo (sub sandwich). Lunch (La comida) is usually served around 1:30/2:00 PM and is the biggest meal of the day. Lots of "menu del dia" deals served at every restaurant. When people get out of work they will stop at a pub or bar and have a snack (merienda). This can consist of a tapa with a glass of wine. The dinner (la sena) is served late, around 9:30 or 10 PM. Usually a small meal. Valencianos love seafood, many types of fish, shellfish, rice dishes, lamb chops, some pasta, and of course the worlds best ham (Jamon Serrano and Jamon Iberico). World famous paella is from Valencia.  Not too much beef tho in the Valencian diet. The people of Valencia love to stay up late and dance all night. The nightlife is incredible. Lots of museums to see and great architecture. The cathedral in Plaza de la Virgen has the Holy Grail. Valencia is a great walking city. The river Turia park area is a long winding park that cuts thru the city. Great place to stroll, jog, ride a bike. Valencia also has a bike sharing program where you can just hop on a bike and go to another bike station. The aquarium there is Europe largest.

Learn the language. Not too many people that speak English like you would find in Madrid or Barcelona.

It use to be that Valencia was just Caucasions and a few gypsy's, but over the past 30 years you will now find Chinese, Latin Americans, Africans living there. There are also Russians, Croatians, and other Eastern Europeans that have moved there over the past 20 years.

Awesome! What a great description… I'm impressed!! Congrats Gifted!! Just have in mind that San Francisco it's a nice and beautiful city aswell… :)

Hola soy senegalese de 39 años y vivo en españa dsde 2000.soy auxiliar clinica y busco expat para compartir experiencias ,y lo que surge,he leido tu perfil,y me gusto un saludo,soy de lengua francesa y hablo perfatamente ingles

doudou
As this is an English speaking forum could you please post in English so that others can understand your post a offer advice or assistance. Thank you

bonjour

Je suis viviane j'espere vivre à Tenerife bientôt...je suis Infirmiére à la retraite.....mais j'aimerai passer un mois voir deux avant de me fixer définitivement....à bientôt viviane

Salut vivi,merci de m avoir accepter l amitie,vous ne regretterez pas d avoir choisi tenerife comme destination,vous serez la bienvenue,tu t amuseras bien et savoureras du soleil,de la plage et la bonne bouffe,si vous etes tenter on auras le temps de mieux nous connaitre ainsi s echanger de coodonnees ,salut

@ viviane and Doudou > Can you please post in english only on this anglophone forum please? I'm afraid that english speaking members don't understand french and can't participate.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com

Ok sorry.then.just i have a very low english.but will try to do it.sorry if i disturb somebody self

I also plan to move to Valencia this coming fall.  Did you get answers to your questions?  If so, would you pass on the info.  thanks, greatly appreciated

disregard my previous message - I found the info   thanks anyways