What can we do (utilities)?

My son (aged 2) and I have been living here since end of July, my husband since beginning of June.

We were recently sent a utilities bill, for June-August.

We don't have our residency cards yet, so we knew the bill would be at the higher rate.

However, our issue is with the consumption.

Our landlord gave us the password to the account online, so we could check, and it seems that our meter is indeed recording exactly what the bill (a read bill, not an estimated one) has claimed.

But it's claiming we used 109, 000 litres of water. We find this hard to believe. For June and July, my husband was here alone, and for half that time was working abroad. All three of us have been here for only one month, but even if we had been here for the whole three months, 109.000 litres of water seems almost impossible!

We have asked around, and no one seems to understand how we could use that much. The electricity too is high. Our water is solar-powered, we have never, not once run the A/C, at most we take two showers a day (between us) and maybe four a week for the kid (no baths). We run the washing machine maybe three times a week. No hair-dryer. Two lap-tops, one of which is running for two hours a day, the other for two hours in the evening. We have a TV but it's never turned on. We never use microwave or dishwasher.

Our neighbours, in the same building, same-size flat, have seven adults, run the A/C a lot, seven showers at least a day, loads of washing, computers running all day,  etc etc. Their consumption is a fraction of ours.

I just want to check: does it seem possible that we could be  using that much? (Our suspicion is that our meter is somehow account for others in the building, which is full of the landlord's family, but we aware that we may be getting ahead of ourselves.)

So, does it seem realistic to be using that much water in that amount of time?

Just checked the electricity consumption, and apparently, during the same period (and same situation) we used 3991 KWh

We expressed concern to our landlord, who told us to be more careful of consumption. Careful to not use 109, 000 litres of water?!!

Hi slanted,

the readings are probably correct but you should check out when the previous reading was done and what period you are being billed for!

109 cbm water in 3 months is way to hi unless you leave taps running day and night. If other flats  with more occupants than you have a fraction of your consumption then something is wrong !

Do you have access to the meters? If so check the readings yourself as well, just to make sure.

If you have suspicions try to check out where the water pipes lead to and if there is a meter for every other flat in the building.

If you have the password for the account you can also check previous bills and compare.

Cheers
Ricky

I don't have much to add, except, good luck. I had a similar problem back in Holland where my electricity provider told me that I'd used 400 EUR worth of electricity in 1 month. It's just not possible. But the provider wouldn't budge, just telling me "that's what the meters say".

So, good luck. I really hope you get this sorted! It would be nice to have a happy story to hear about this sort of thing.

Hi Slanted,

Keep us all posted of the outcome..

Ken

It's impossible to get 109 m3 in 3 months. It means using 2 full water tank (500 l) per day. Unreal

The same for electricity - usual family is using 150-300 kW*h per month

Check the date for prior reading. And you should have the initial reading in your rental agreement

BTW, if you want to check the 'illegal' connection to your meter - it's easy. In the evening, switch off everything in your apartment (preferably - by the main input switch) and then go downstairs and check the meter.

I agree with spiridonov on this one - i too had this suspicion here in my present place, but we traced it to a leak underground - sadly on my side of the meter.

also when you switch your mains elec off see if you can spot anyone elses going off at the same time - or leave it of and do without for a little while and see if their are any complaints.  - same for the water turn the water off run as much of your own water off from your supply (usually 500L tank)over a few days or hours....

take a reading and date and then log your usage for elec and water daily, do this over a period of a few days or a week and then work it out..

but there is no way you can use over 1000L per day unless you are leaving your taps running or you have a major leak your side of the meter or someone else has access to your supply....go to the meters and follow the pipes see where the go.... i had to do this and gain access to the locked garages..!!!!!! 

its not unheard of here for the landlords to tee off and have you unwittingly pay for their water and electricity usage.

BTW our usage for three is approx 350-400units of elec per month and about 5-6units (5-6000L) of water per month......

Thanks all.

We're clearly going to have to do some investigating.

We looked for the meters last night, and have identified our water meter but it's not clear which electricity meter is ours.

Will find out and look into this further.

Thanks again for all the advice- really very helpful. I'll keep you updated.

on your bill assuming its the two page arms issued bill then the meter numbers should be quoted on it -

Thanks!

Dear slanted,

Given that you have a 2-year-old son, please see the following -

Save money on your water and electricity consumption tariffs by registering your children as householders with ARMS Ltd:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274440

Thanks Byron,

Will definitely do that - but presumably it requires the ID card (residency card)? It seems that applications are taking forever . . . . .

slanted wrote:

Thanks Byron,

Will definitely do that - but presumably it requires the ID card (residency card)? It seems that applications are taking forever . . . . .

and you need a landlord that will let you!!

I have 3 children and all the water and electric that goes with them, my bill was high this time compared to my others but nothing like yours. Mine worked out at 100/month (usually 70/month.)

Dear slanted,

Yes, your son will require an ‘e-Residence Card' too.

In his specific regard, please see: ARMS Ltd. - Declaration of Place of Residence of Minor Children:

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

Re: Eligibility for the much cheaper ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs in respect of owner-occupiers as well as those renting their accommodation:

To ascertain whether or not you are paying the much more expensive water and electricity consumption tariffs, check the top right-hand corner of your bill.

If it says: No. of residents ‘0' or ‘Zero' and the Consumer Scheme is  ‘Domestic', then you are unnecessarily paying among the most expensive water and electricity consumption tariffs in the EU and should convert to ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs without delay.

Whether an owner-occupier or a tenant, those non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens in possession of an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card as well as Third Country Nationals with Long-Term Residence status are eligible for the much lower, ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs - according to ARMS Ltd. regulations.

Please note that:

A) The ‘domestic' electricity consumption tariff is 30% more expensive than the 'residential' one. 

B) The ‘domestic' water consumption tariff is at least 56% more expensive than the 'residential' one. 

C) Unlike the ‘residential' scheme, eco-reductions are not applied to the ‘domestic' electricity consumption tariff.

D) Unlike the ‘residential' scheme, one-off energy allowance cheques are not payable in respect of the ‘domestic' water and electricity consumption tariff.

In order to convert from ‘domestic' to ‘residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs, one must register the correct number of household occupants with ARMS Ltd.

To do this, one needs to download, print, fill in and submit a ‘change in number of persons declaration' form as well as any other requisite documentation (specified at the bottom of the form) to ARMS Ltd.

If you live in rented accommodation and are liable for energy bills issued in your landlord's name, his / her signature (as account holder) and certain personal details are also required, but only in order to endorse the ‘change in number of persons declaration' - to include all household occupants, that is, adults, minors and infants - a simple formality.

You are also required to include a photocopy of both sides of your landlord's (account holder's) identity card. 

Please note that this procedure does not necessitate transferring the meters or the water and electricity account from the landlord to the tenant/s, nor significantly, does it entail the payment of any deposit by the household occupant/tenant or the landlord.

Once you have submitted this form and requisite documentation to ARMS Ltd, ensure you receive either a receipt or written confirmation of its receipt - via e-mail - from them within 24 hours.

This receipt is essential in order to avoid any possible misunderstandings with ARMS Ltd. about 'lost' or 'mislaid' applications by the time you receive your next water and electricity bill.

In this regard, you may wish to write to Sean Barbara - Policy and Strategy manager of ARMS Ltd, at: [email protected]

In this connection, your attention is drawn to section D - Documentation - on the ‘Change in number of persons declaration' - which can be accessed by clicking on the following internet link.

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

As cooxf0001 said "only if the landlord will let you"

Not likely if he is not declaring his full income or getting cash.

I understand that we are paying the higher rate, and we have applied for the residence cards for all of us, but regardless of whether the landlord will let us, it's still going to be months before our cards come through.

that bit sadly is 100% true.. but make sure once you get your cards that your landlord will allow you on the account so that you can be charged at the lower rates from the next issued bill.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

that bit sadly is 100% true.. but make sure once you get your cards that your landlord will allow you on the account so that you can be charged at the lower rates from the next issued bill.

As stated above, better to start the conversation with the landlord now (assuming you haven't done so) so that when you receive the EID cards things can move quickly. Our application with our EIDs and the form signed by the landlord took only 10 days to action through ARMS.

must admit to ARMs Ltd acting much faster now to process the changes forms.

OK, all sorted.

The landlord didn't ever write the meter readings in our contract. He kept saying he would, but he never did.

We were basically being charged for the previous tenants - don't know how far back. Most of the bills were estimated, and the reading in August was the first actual reading in a long while.  It seems the previous readings were underestimated. The landlord had also tried to get us to pay an estimated bill dated from February - we didn't move in until June!

We met with the landlord today, who agreed that we couldn't have used that amount of water and electricity. We have found our meters, and since the reading in mid -August, we have used 10, 000 litres of water, and 400 units of electricity, which seems about right.  So we have agreed with the landlord that of the bill we were given, we will pay for three months calculated based on the usage we know of since the official reading. He will pay the rest.

We won't pay any estimated bills that might be sent in the future  - only ones based on actual readings.

He will also let us register ourselves with ARMS once he have our residency cards - in fact, when we first moved in he was the one who told us that that is what we must do.

Thanks again for all the responses and advice - all very much appreciated!

well done  - shame on the landlord for even trying to con you though.....

Congrats with this resolving :)

BTW, you can pay even estimated bills, the actual ones will be decreased on these payments. Of course, it makes sense if you have long term rental agreement and have no intention to leave the apartments earlier

Spiridonov wrote:

BTW, you can pay even estimated bills, the actual ones will be decreased on these payments. Of course, it makes sense if you have long term rental agreement and have no intention to leave the apartments earlier

Yes, that's what I do and it is quite accurate.

coxf0001 wrote:
Spiridonov wrote:

Yes, that's what I do and it is quite accurate.

That's fine provided you do check that they are close to the actual readings before you pay.

it can still be fine by the time you get the bill you have probably used more anyway...

i used to pay the lower estimates but never pay the too high estimated ones...

Doesn't anyone know if both residents need to have the e-residence card? My partner has it, but I'm still waiting for mine.

dzakarta wrote:

Doesn't anyone know if both residents need to have the e-residence card? My partner has it, but I'm still waiting for mine.

you're replying to a post from 2013, best to start a new one.

For Form H a passport is fine