Confused about residency

My husband is entertaining a job offer from a tech company in Malta. It's pretty much too good to turn down, but in my reading I've turned up some things that have left me confused and worried.

Will we (our children and I) be allowed to move with him, if he accepts the offer? Some of the information makes it sound like that wouldn't be allowed, and that he wouldn't be able to apply for us to join him for two years. I really hope I've just missed or misinterpreted something.

Any insight?

Do either of you have a passport from an EU country?  Even if nt, the 2 year gap wouldn't apply to you, it only applies to asylum seekers, but as long as your husband's new company can get a work permit for him (not easy) then you three have a right to join him.

It's important to bear in mind that a non EU work permit is generally only for 12 months and is very difficult to get for more than 4 years in total.

Thank you for clearing that up. I felt it must work that way, but, well...too many hours of reading foreign legal code will confuse anyone. Or maybe I was having a blond moment. Either way, I'm reassured.

Understood, about the work permits--that's a question he plans to ask already. We're not averse to staying only four years, but would rather it be through choice than necessity. The company in question already has quite a few US citizens (which we are) working there, so they're doing we'll enough with getting permits so far. They would be bringing him in as a "Highly Skilled Person". I suppose we'll see how it goes!

Thanks again!

I'll message you a link covering the following

Non-EU citizen moving to Malta Q& A

1. Uniform residence permit for 3rd country nationals ("3rd Country National" = a citizen of a non-EU country)
2. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
3. do I need health insurance ?
4. can I work in Malta ?
4.1 How much is income tax ?
4.2 How much are social security contributions ?
5. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
6. where do I apply for my ID card ?
7.1 buying a property FAQ
7.2 selling a property FAQ
8. renting a property FAQ
9. Importing a vehicle FAQ
10. Do I need a visa to enter Malta, and where can I apply for one ?
11. What's the procedure for exporting/importing a pet ?
12. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
13. Long term residency permit
14. High Net Worth Individuals scheme
15. electricity/water bills - domestic v residential 

Hi Foyfyre,

welcome to the form and hopefully to Malta too.

For someone in your situation (Highly Skilled Person) and tech company you should not have a problem with getting the resident permits for your husband and the whole family.

I would advise you to get the future employer to give assistance with applying for residency although you do have to apply in person.

As already stated the difficulties will start after about 3 or 4 years as Malta likes to deter non-EU citizens (including US) from staying 5 years in Malta as that gives you the right to apply for permanent residency.

One point to mention for your own situation is that you will most likely not be allowed to work during the stay in Malta. The 'writer' part is probably ok as you can do that from anywhere from home.

Check out the schooling and language issues for your children although given the 'good' job offer you will most likely be using a private school.

Feel free to ask any questions , even ones that have been asked before. It is always good when the title of the post refers to the context of the question -))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Foxfyre and welcome to the forum

Just a little to add to Ricky's post, have a wee look at this (Expat forum sponsored)site:

An American In Malta

Ricky can be a little 'shy' in promoting his partners work sometimes.........some of the stuff there may take away some of your misgivings.

Good Luck

Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome and the excellent resources! George, that link you sent does ease my anxiety considerably. Great information.

I'm not concerned about working in Malta. The compensation for my husband's potential employment would make anything I did redundant. That's already the case--so at least I'm used to it!

I've been reading the blog An American in Malta. She's immensely helpful. :)