Driver license

When visiting Thailand can you use your country drivers license, or do you need a Thai driver license to rent a scooter or car?

I appreciate your answer on this subject.

I used my US drivers license to rent.  No problems.

Get a international driving license before coming to Thailand in you country.

As you normal driving license is NOT enough in Thailand (yes i do know many have no problem use the normal one) If you have a accident and only you home country license it can give you big problems, a mate of mine have big problem because of this.
Remember if you in Thailand long time to get a Thai driver license, it is very easy to get and cheap.

Price for international driving license in Denmark is around 283,28 THB and that license is valid for 12 month.

Things to remember, this is Thailand, not all policeman know about what a international driving license is, So if plan to be here 2-3 month or more get the Thai license, very cheap and easy, first one you get is valid for 1 year, when renew valid for 3-5 years.
I write 3-5 years, because i got 5 years, but i hear Thailand change it to 3 years, so not sure if that correct or not.
Some office want you on a NoN O Visa to give you a driving license, other do it on a Tourist Visa, up to area..

Edit: Price is 283,28 THB for the international driving license in Denmark as today price.
I got the numbers mix up, sorry mate..

I appreciate this information I believe this answers my question.

Always better to be safe than sorry, especially in Thailand.

Thanks a bunch,

Hi - I'd like to add a question to this string - if that is ok. 

I am moving to Thailand on November 4, on a one year non-immigrant B visa.  I do not have a drivers' license here in the United States - and am wondering if I can get a motorcycle license in Thailand without showing a license from the States.  Would I have to take a drivers' test?  Or should I hurry and get a Washington State DL before I leave for Thailand? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

If you have no foreign license you will be required to take the written, driving and eye test to obtain Thai license.  It should not be a problem if you have rode motorcycle before.

The written can be a problem because some of the translations to English could be better.  Link below will give you a heads up on written test.

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearn … rning2.swf

buddhaland wrote:

Hi - I'd like to add a question to this string - if that is ok. 

I am moving to Thailand on November 4, on a one year non-immigrant B visa.  I do not have a drivers' license here in the United States - and am wondering if I can get a motorcycle license in Thailand without showing a license from the States.  Would I have to take a drivers' test?  Or should I hurry and get a Washington State DL before I leave for Thailand?  International licence in Australi is $30.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes you will, if you have an o'seas licence you can get a 1 year licence first up here then after that a 5 year licence, if you dont have an o'seas licence then you have to go for one here same as anywhere else, riding test(they hire you a motorbike at the testing facility) and answer the road rules questions, also they do a depth perception test and light colour tests, usually takes a day to do it all sometimes more.

its either 1 year or 5 years after the first year, I just renewed mine after 1 year and had the option of either as I live here now(have a thai home address). Cost for car and bike licence including all necessary cost was just shy of 1,500 baht
(confirmation of thai address, doctors certificate, photos, and both licences).