Best Mobile Phone Brands & Where To Buy Them

LG is a good brand for appliances in the US, but I see here they also make cell phones.  Anybody have any experience with this?

I'm going to buy a new phone and I'm not really sure what I want and where to get it.  I saw a ton of mobile shops in Batha--is it really worth my while to go there or are the prices all basically the same?

Thanks for your guidance :-)

PS.  I was looking at them last night and it's like buying a car.  You walk in wanting something simple and cheap (a Hyundai) but after looking at everything, you now want a Lincoln Town Car with all the bells and whistles lol

I think I'd like a touch screen--any recommendations?

If you are just talking with it !  Motorola..
If really utilize full functions, I-Phone ...
If the algorithm is important and you are already familiar with NOKIA ! go with it..

Where to purchase... Sure, from USA :)
Always ask for the SAR value if you are using it too much !

** SAR (specific absorption rate) is a measurement of how much electromagnetic radiation is absorbed by body tissue whilst using a mobile phone. The higher the SAR the more radiation is absorbed.

I have had several brands of phones, all over the world:
Nokia is a leader for a reason.  It's a solid product.
Samsung and LG are both good phones, but all the features seem a little to "Korean-ized" for me. (Maybe that's only in Korea.)
Motorola is a solid phone for talking, as noted in an earlier post.

What do I own?  I have two Nokias; one for work and one for personal use that I carry from country to country.

If you like the gadgets...and have the coin...go Iphone.  All my friends that have them LOVE them.

So far, NOKIA has been my fav

Oh God,No Batha,they r thug..just go to Axiom ,almost in every mall or go to Jarir,they got  quite a few,if u want touch screen and dun wanna spend alot,go to these new range of samsung,it has good options plu beautiful colors.

isn't it Axiom?

I'd like a cheap second hand i-phone if anyone has one spare. The cheapest I can find in the shops is SAR 2,500.

For too many years than I care to remember I have been Nokia through and through - can't sing their praises high enough.  However, I recently bought a Blackberry Curve and have not regretted any aspect of it yet.  So depending on what you need a phone for, how often you use it and whether diary and / or internet functions are key to you - will dictate which phone.  Nokia has everything and I am finding so does the Blackberry.  Only thing with the Curve model I have 8520 the camera function has no flash - which seems a little bizzare but then again, if I want to take pictures, I use my camera! As for the most cost effective for new or used phones - no idea but put it up on Expat Classified-Riyadh (Yahoo Group) and see what comes back to you.

Hello,
You may also use Riyadh's classifieds > Buy and sell! :D

By the way, there are Chinese version of Blackberries and I-Phone in Mursalaat area, available very cheap. But there is risk if you visit a developed nation, and caught with pirated version of these smartphones then, they may fine you.

By the way, there are Chinese version of Blackberries and I-Phone in Mursalaat area, available very cheap. But there is risk if you visit a developed nation, and caught with pirated version of these smartphones then, they may fine you.

Or if they break/just stop working, you're SOS, aren't ya?

Alliecat wrote:

Or if they break/just stop working, you're SOS, aren't ya?

Then you use it as paperweight and impress visitors

There is no warranty of these Chinese version smartphones, once you step out of the shop and it does not work, then, it is just a paperweight.

My suggestion go for NOKIA from Axiom, as long as you want to use the phone in the Middle East. NOKIA has a local service center in Riyadh, and provides extremely efficient service.

Nokia has always made the most robust phones IMO, but robust is boring!!

I am now the proud ownwer of an iphone 3gs :) love it

I ended up buying a Samsung .  It had everything I wanted  (most notably a touch screen key pad!) at a reasonable price.

The Ten Commandments of Cell Phones Usage

1. Thou shalt not subject defenseless bystanders to cell phone conversations.

2. Thou shalt not set thy ringer to play a repetitive musical clip piece every time thy cell phone rings.

3. Thou shalt turn thy cell phone off during public performances, in theaters, during speeches and meetings, family dinners, at weddings and funerals and on first dates.

4. Thou shalt not wear more than two wireless devices on thy belt.

5. Thou shalt not use thy cellphone while driving.

6. Thou shalt not wear thy earpiece in the presence of thy friends and coworkers.

7. Thou shalt not speak louder on thy cell phone than thou would on any other phone.

8. Thou shalt not love thy cell phone more than thy spouse.

9. Thou shalt not display thy cell phone on a restaurant table.

10. Thou shalt not attempt to impress others with the make and model of thy cell phone.

Speaking of cell phones - I need some help! 

Can anyone tell me how I get the browser turned on on my phone?  I just recently purchased a new BB phone with post-paid service through STC and have yet to get the browser to work, can't receive incoming SMSs from my daughter, nor can I download applications.  Not sure what the problem is?  Im sure its operator error:dumbom:   What can I say, Im Technology Challenged!  :D

When I purchased the phone, I requested that they make the phone international ready, which for me, means that it comes with all of these features!  Obviously the phone guy and I were not on the same page of the play book that day!  LOL

Should I go online and establish an account and manage my phone from there?  I know in the states, we can do this. 

Your assistance is appreciated!  Thanks!

I would suggest that if you are using the BB service from STC to call over at one of their retail customer service outlets at one of the big malls in town and have it configured.

The CEO at my clients office has an iPod and wanted the same done for him to be able to access his office email through the company exchange server and we had to pay SR 1,500 to a private networking company to configure his mobile as well as the network server to be able to use this function.

Good things no cheap, as the old Chinese saying goes....

has anyone tried HTC smart phones?

I want to get the HD2. :D

The HTC is very much a clone of the iPhone at almost half the price, I believe.

We were discussing the Ten Commandments of Mobile Phones over dinner last evening and my grand daughter loves Commandment #8

nooo MM...HTC is way better than iPhone and quiet old too...
HTC had an agreement with imate to make phones just for them...after the agreement was over, they made phones for many different companies such as Treo, Acer, Google, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Dell, etc. and it has many models...

i personally like HTC as we can upgrade, modify, hack or anything with it unlike iPhone where u cannnot do much stuff.

so as HTC's first phone was introduced in 2002, it CANNOT be a clone of iPhone which was introduced in 2007

Ok, so is Blackberry going to be history here soon. My understanding is that emailing and texting to a Blackberry will be blocked and friends with Blackberrys will not be able to email or text in to KSA.

Is my understanding correct?

Sparrow - based on the news, it doesn't look too good for us BB users!  :sosad:

I was thinking of buying one because they are so cheap here - luckily its off the christmas list.

Probably Facebook next!

BB has been marched to chop square.
R I P

I am firmly in the HTC camp as I have a desire, blows away the iphone and blackberry, but then the saudi authorities have already done that to the BB:D

Hey, newbie forum user just chiming in here. Kind of a tech geek as well.
I'm on the Diamond 2 right now (HTC) and I like it (not love it, like it). It acts up sometimes, but this is mainly to me trying to customize the crap out of the system and over clocking it. My brother has one, and so does a friend at work. They work flawlessly, but when you install arabic on it (as a friend did), it just rapes the system speed.

Best bet if you want to buy a new phone (I already know the original poster bought one) is to wait on the new Windows Phone 7's coming out Christmas time. There should be a handful of them, and the videos right now show some really amazing applications, implementations, and a beautiful interface.

Oh, and as for location. My friend took me a place called "Moore-salat" (if I recall correctly). Just a huge plaza for phone shops. They sell both new and used, with really good prices (but you have to haggle, so it's best to bring a local with ya)

I would Recommend Sony Ericsson Satio or iphone

IPHONE
IPHONE
IPHONE

paying in any other phone for the time being is a waste of time and money!

I am Looking for SLR Nikon D3000 camera use or unused for a low cost. So please help me to find.

Hmm ... Nokia is a thing of past...
You can opt for Blackberry which are said to be great mobiles however since you are looking for touchscreen go for IPhone.

My personal recommendation is to take a mobile with Android OS in it which is available in Samsung, LG, Motorola etc. Just check out Samsung Galaxy S2.

try Samsung GALAXY PRO, Not that much expensive but has almost same capability of SAMSUNG GALAXY SI. It includes Android market which is not available  in SAMSUNG GALAXY SII. So u have to download it from internet. Through android market, u can download a lot of stuff like the software that will u to open document,excel file,etc. It costs only 700sr. It is touch screen with keypad. CHECK IT OUT GUYS! GOOD LUCK!

Looks like LG did not like HTC and Samsung brand is so hot, but it looks good.When I visited smalltao.com's seen the LG, you can go and see.

Masha'al Al-asima is the main whole sale distributor for all the cell phone brands in KSA. Their Head office is located on 2nd floor in Al-Rajhi Building batha.
No one can beat their prices, literally NO ONE!

This is the price list on their website:
http://www.m2telecom.net/mobilerates.php

and prices are even lower once you visit the store.

lack of english is lacking

iPhone is recommended due to free annual sofware update which brings lots of new features to iPhone. Android software update is dependent on manufacturer and network.