Input/Advice Needed for Temporary Housing Locations Bukit Peninsula

I'm pulling the trigger! Making the move in 2014 to Bali. I work as a Merchant Mariner & will finish my next trip out to sea in April 2014 & will go straight from my ship to Bali. I don't know anyone there & I have no idea where I will stay. I'd like to rent a room for a couple of months while I shop around for a decent place for long term living. I will have money for the annual rent, not a problem there. My ideal place would be somewhere I can wake up, grab my board & walk down for a surf. I don't need or want anything fancy, a clean room with a fan and my own toilet would be just fine. Also kitchen privileges! What are some good areas I should be looking for? I am 43 & single, I don't drink or party but I don't want to be isolated either. I enjoy socializing & being around other people just not into partying all night. I'll be flying into Denpasar & my plan is to get a room in a nearby hotel for a couple nights until I can find a decent room to rent. I've read through these forums extensively, am I going about this the right way? I plan on staying a couple months at least & hope to make some new friends to help me in my transition to life in Bali. Surfing is my passion so being close to quality waves is a must! I'm also a classically trained Chef so having local markets nearby is also desirable. Should I just rent a room for long term? (annually) Is that even possible? Would an apartment be a better idea? I'll be buying a couple of surfboards upon arrival & would like to have a safe place to leave my things while I work. I typically work four months & then off four months. I've searched around for an idea on prices but it seems to be all over the place. Is it possible to find a nice room for under 30 million annually? I know internet prices are always high so I'd like a realistic idea of what to expect so I don't get burned. Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

“I've read through these forums extensively, am I going about this the right way?”

Jason, the truth be told, there really is no “right way” to take the plunge and give life on Bali a try.  Either things work out, or they don't.  Your age and maturity as well as having no family obligations will both be to your advantage.

A couple of suggestions for you from this “old Yankee dog.” 

-When you first arrive have a good look at both the Kuta area and Canggu.  Both of those areas will offer more in the way of budget long term accommodations, and both are popular with surfers. 

-Try to mix in with the locals as best you can.  Surfing is a life style which has been embraced by many locals, both Balinese and non Balinese who live in those areas.  In addition to knowing the best areas for surfing, they also will be your best source for finding long term accommodations well within your budget.

With that in mind, on your next “cruise” use as much of your down time to learn bahasa Indonesia which is the national language of Indonesia.  One particular school that you can study with via the internet and that is excellent is Cinta Bahasa:  http://cintabahasa.com/    You'll find that living here within a modest budget is far more achievable when you know the local language. 

-Lastly, be sure to keep up with the visa requirements necessary for long term stays here in Bali. 

Oh, and one more thing…don't completely cut your ties to the US…and in particular, keep a bank account open there.  Once you have been staying on Bali a while, you can get a KITAS or residency permit and open bank accounts here, but even then, keep a US bank account active. 

Cheers, and good luck!

Thanks Ubud, I really appreciate and respect your opinion here in the forum. I was hoping you would respond because I know from reading your replies that you offer realistic "no BS" advice. I feel like I am going about this in a sensible manner & wanted to make sure of that. I do have a good friend in Singapore who frequents the Kuta and Canggu areas to surf. He has offered to help me get established as he has contacts there. I'm definitely over the party scene & I prefer to be away from the really touristy areas. The whole idea in my move is to live a different lifestyle than I have here in California. I have simplified my life here in the U.S. as much as I can, few possessions, nothing financed, no ties to anyone or anything. I will keep my Navy Federal account as it's the way I receive my pay when I'm shipping and I can easily transfer money to my daughter in college when she needs it. The house in California is in the family trust so that should always be there as well. I will definitely maintain my ties here after I make my move. I will also learn the language as soon as possible. I do have ample time when I'm working on my ship to read/study although internet is not always available. Maybe I'll spend the money & get the Rosetta Stone program if there is one for Bahasa. I hope to mix in with the locals, be a part of a community, live a simple life. I need to keep up on the visa requirements as well, don't want any unnecessary headaches. I feel very grateful to have this opportunity, to have a career that allows me to live anywhere I choose. I considered many countries, thought about this for years, talked with a few of my shipmates who already live abroad. It all came down to surfing QUALITY waves, warm weather & water, affordable & comfortable lifestyle, and of course, beautiful women! I'm ready to go right now! If I didn't have school next month, I would already be there :D Thanks again Ubud, see ya in a few months!

Jason, a somewhat odd and useless, although truthful fact, is that the vast majority of American expats on Bali are from California. 

It seems that in general, Californians are far more suitable to the lifestyle here, and surely are less prone to “go postal” when they find out that everything here isn't like it was back in the states.

The best choice I ever made was to move to Bali years ago…and everything that's current in the US has only solidified my resolve to that decision.

I keep hoping that one day I'll run into Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity in some bar or restaurant here in Bali.  Oh boy!  What fun that would be!!!  Of course the likelihood of that ever happening is next to impossible, as Bali would be the last place on either of those guy's minds as a place to visit.  Yet another reason to keep thanking the Gods!

Cheers, Roy

That's interesting Roy, and it doesn't surprise me. I'm a blue collar man with a solid work ethic, common sense, tax paying, law abiding American. Many like-minded people I know & associate with here in the states are fed up with the direction this country is headed, particularly here in California. There is a large percentage of people like me who are just tired of the BS. I'm being taxed to death here & the cost of living just keeps rising. People are leaving for places where it's easier to live than California. I live in what I consider the last part of the California coast that hasn't been ruined, but it's still too much too handle. Every time I return from a voyage, I ask myself, what am I still doing here? I love being out on my ship, far away from all of this, where I am completely out of touch with news and happenings back home. I think Californians are more laid back in nature & therefore adapt easier to things that may be different than back home. I know I am. I just can't keep paying the income tax in California. It costs me thousands of dollars a year just to reside here & I'm only here for maybe one third of the time. Just doesn't make sense to me. I tend to lean toward the conservative side so definitely in the minority here in California. I guess all of this may be off topic but good information nonetheless.

Hear hear Jason, and just one more thing.

Once you've arrived and found a place, and you're relatively sure you're going to be living on Bali for several months, if not permanently, or semi-permanently, be sure to register yourself at the US Consular Agent's office in Denpasar: 

http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/bali_consular.html

There are any number of very good reasons to do this, and among them:

-Able to maintain your voting status back in the states as this is where you can file your absentee votes.

-Periodic invitations to “town hall” meetings held on Bali for US residents of Bali.  This is particularly enjoyable as the US Ambassador to Indonesia, or the Consulate General in Surabaya (and sometimes both) will often attend these meetings to discuss issues of vital importance to US Citizens living abroad, and in particular, Indonesia.  As an aside, the US State Department has sent some incredibly talented and capable people to Indonesia over the years.  These periodic “town hall” meetings are also a great venue to meet other fellow American expats.   

-E-mail receipt of State Department notices and advice when appropriate and deemed necessary.

-Passport renewals and emergency passport replacements for lost or stolen credentials.

-Marriage and birth registrations (in case you meet that “right” woman here!)

Anyway, enough advice for one day from this particular “old salty dog,”

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … 100150.jpg

Cheers, Roy

Thanks Roy! I will bookmark the links you have provided & use them when I get to that point. I would love to attend town hall meetings & be involved with other expats as well. What a great way to network! And yes, I am hoping to meet the future Mrs. Baker! Simple life, beautiful wife. After all the stuff I've been through, I deserve some quality living :D