Hi Everyone!

Hi All

I am new to this blog and thought that I should drop a quick note to the members to say hi. Coming over to Ireland in November to investigate a few 'moving over' issues and will then be back again in January 2011 (and basically hit the ground running)in a manner of speaking.....

Is there anything I need to know apart from the 'slower' pace of life and weather:)or even some useful advice. I would appreciate any contact from Ireland.............

Chow Chow for now

Welcome on Expat.com Doublesixguy !

Doublesixguy ~

Why are you thinking of moving to Ireland? This country is, basically, a third world country with bad weather and its best frock on.

It's expensive. The standard of education is low and the healthcare is appalling. You could be waiting several months to see a consultant - and that's if you go private.

I lived abroad for 10 years and returned 5 years ago. I feel I have given it my best shot and am keen to leave again.

Unfortunately, Irish people are not as friendly as people who live in other countries have been led to believe. Irish people will (eventually) invite you out for a drink, or whatever but as my German neighbour pointed out 'You never get over the threshold'.

I am sorry I am painting a negative picture, but I would hate for you to have the idea of Ireland as a fabulous place to live and be disappointed.

For more about Irish issues, you can visit: ladyscribbles.wordpress.com
There are far, far better places to live than Ireland.

Hi

Is Ishkah's opinion the general opinion of all?

keen to know........

of course it's not! A few friends spent a couple of years in Dublin and they were pretty happy with their life there !

Thought so... You based in SA?

We have  frieds who are  from Sweden, Uk , USA...etc Everybody is happy with their life here. Irish people are friendly , if you need help they are ready for it. Dublin is a lovely city

Hi M

Thanks for your take on Ireland. I thought as much!

am just new on dis site. thinking how i can make a friends

Hello and welcome to Expat.com,
For a starter it would be nice to tell us more about you! :)
Arlette

Have to agree - the Irish are pretty decent bunch. Sense of humour takes some getting used to but it's there all the same. Weather crap at times but when you do get a decent day you can't beat this place. Beautiful. I was born and bred in Jozi then moved here ten years ago. Haven't regretted my decision. I'm up North now where the education is better and the health care good.And it doesn't get as cold as it does in the US or Canada. Oh and finally if my frontdoor is un locked whilst I am out (or asleep) I'm not fussing. Nice and safe. My two cents worth.

;)

As expected. I am finding SA VERY expensive (Electricity, medical aid, fuel, food etc..)and general services (Government. Being a single parent (ooops ..forgot ..middle aged)in SA has a bad downside and I firmly believe after thinking about it for 3 years, should now make a move (Will miss the weather and people though:()I am an Irish citizen since 1988 and am just waiting to sort out my son's papers and I will be coming over. I am keen to start fresh and give my son the freedom that he does not have here. I will also try and open a small business so that I do not rely on anyone :)

I must say that overall, all reports of Ireland are exceptionally good. I think the guys that are negative about Ireland should come and live in SA and try and survive with 35% unemployment, crime, terrible government service delivery, bad transport system etc ... After that, maybe they will change their mind.

Just to say thanks to all that have replied. Hope to see you guys soon!!