Much ado about nothing. Health care on Malta/Gozo.

For the last six days I have been in hospital on Gozo and had a day at Mater Dei. Released on good behaviour early :D

I originally went to get some medication put on ‘yellow card' but when the doctor saw my ECG he was convinced that I had had a heart attack, three valves were not functioning correctly and so I was immediately admitted.

To say I was stunned is an understatement as I had always been fit, (ex military, judo, athletics, all the usual sports and running marathons, (sub 4 hours) cycling, cross training, swimming, hill climbing, road marching, competition shooting etc.) Also I did not feel ill or have any pain. However, he insisted and so there I lay dosed up on valium and other ‘dolly mixtures'.

A few days later taken to Mater Dei for an angiogram, a most amazing experience; I saw inside my own heart!!! I was given a guided tour and could see everything working and the surgeon explained everything to me. Very weird sensation when they pumped the fluid in, it was all quite surreal.

The conclusion is that all the valves are working correctly, but one part of one artery is partially blocked. It did not require any surgical intervention or that would have been done whilst I was there. However, I have been told to make a lot of changes to my lifestyle and modify a lot of the things I do and have been used to doing. I also now have to take a cocktail of 7 drugs 3 times a day.

Lynnder has been as wonderful as she ever is and now she gets to care for me even more than she has always done. I sometimes wonder how on earth I would ever be able to cope without her by my side. I also know that Alexa, Steve, Kyra, Sam and Luke have been concerned and their messages of support have meant so very much.

Also, as circumstances would have it our other daughter Susan and partner Steve arrived to stay with us for a holiday the day after I was admitted. Some holiday they've had but they have been so kind and supportive to Lynnder and coming in to visit and smuggle in a couple of ‘goodies' for me. Several planned activities have of course had to be cancelled but they will be rearranged and put back on the agenda for a future visit.

To all those who sent me wishes of good luck and offers of help, I thank you; sincerely.

I have been very moved by human goodness. Something, which apart from being given by a very few, has been absent from my life for many many years. I have spent my life fighting, not just physically but authority usually, to benefit others who could not fight for themselves.

On these islands I have learned that most people can be kind without seeking anything in return; they have a selfless generosity of spirit, compassion and concern. (Not quite everyone mind, some people have been spiteful, sarcastic or shunned me, but they have not been Maltese or Gozitan. (They have either been or will be dealt with in due course.) Some people in the village here, because word soon got round, were stopping to ask Lynnder how I was and if they could do anything to help; genuine offers. Facebook ‘friends' also and others on the mainland offered to visit and do whatever they could to help, including offers of transport and accommodation for Lynnder in case I was held in at Mater Dei.
I won't name you all, far too many :thanks: but you all know who you are.

My very sincere thanks and gratitude go to all the staff at Gozo and Mater Dei Hospitals. What wonderful people they are and we had quite a few laughs, especially between myself and the nurse in charge of Men's General Ward; what a character!!

Anyone here who has any doubts about the quality of health care here, DON'T!!!

Mater Dei is the most modern hospital I have ever seen and though Gozo hospital needs some structural improvements the quality of care is amazing.

To those who may whinge and moan about waiting times, just remember there is probably someone in a worse condition than you who may well need immediate attention. Yes, it may be frustrating but at least you can feel the frustration and do something about it. Remember, they are all doing their best!!!

Congratulations on therelatively good outcome.
Good to read that you had such a positive experience with the healthcare system here.

:top: Great to hear you are back on your feet! Nice to hear good things about the hospital and care given too.

Nice post mik! good to hear they sorted out and let you out.
I know of friends who went to register with a local doctor and ended up having a full health check that resulted in him having to go to the hospital for investigation of a serious illness but had no symptoms.

Good to read that you had such a positive experience with the healthcare system here.

"Thank you too" from me, another mosaicstone that confirms my decision to move to the island.

Sparkie wrote:

Nice post mik! good to hear they sorted out and let you out.
I know of friends who went to register with a local doctor and ended up having a full health check that resulted in him having to go to the hospital for investigation of a serious illness but had no symptoms.

They are nothing if not thorough here.
The PS to all this is that I had an ECG before I left the UK (January) and was told there were no anomalies!!!!
I am going to have that print out examined as I have a copy and if I was misinformed then I will take action.

We are so glad to hear you are out, good behaviour!!:D. Now remember relax and enjoy life. Take care.

Glad you are out of hospital and on the mend, its nice to know the healthcare is good here and thankyou for letting us know about your experience, take care

Yeah, yeah, yeah.........

look, just fill me in on this nurse in charge of the men's ward.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/sleazy-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think you make a very important observation there Mick with the scan in the UK not being picked up. As you know there is a right slating of the NHS going on at present with countless hundreds (if not thousands) of patients dying unnecessarily in hospitals around the country.

You are truly blessed to have been looked after by fantastic clinicians and a fabulous people..........after all that is what the people of Malta and Gozo are really famous for.

Take care buddy

Mike

MikeInPoulton wrote:

[img align=l]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/sleazy-smiley-emoticon.gif[/url]

He is one of the funniest men I have met and his powers of subtle persuasion knock Socrates's into a cocked hat.

redmik wrote:
MikeInPoulton wrote:

[img align=l]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/sleazy-smiley-emoticon.gif[/url]

He is one of the funniest men I have met and his powers of subtle persuasion knock Socrates's into a cocked hat.

Ooooooooohh!!! he sounds nice.........

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn247/androide42/smilies/013.gif

Hi all,

Please note that some off topic posts was removed from this thread

Thank you

Maximilien