What's there to do?

I'm ready to escape the rat race of either working like a mad man or looking for the next job that will require me to work like a mad man. Haunting these boards and investigating other Belize related web sites has me just about convinced that heading south is the thing for me. But, I remember my grandparents when they retired to Florida many years ago. Their days were pretty much, 1) Wake up and talk about what they wanted for breakfast, eat and read the paper. 2) Clean up breakfast and talk about what they wanted for lunch. 3) Clean up after lunch, maybe take a nap, talk about what they wanted to do for dinner. 4) Fix dinner, clean it up, watch some TV, and go to bed.

NOT my idea of a great time! I'm 62 but just completed a 340 mile ultra marathon. I like getting out in my kayak as much as I can and usually ride my bicycle about 60 miles a week. My wife and I both volunteer for a non-profit and are active in our church. We enjoy going to a movie once a week and getting together with friends.

Looks like San Pedro has a lot to do but I'm leaning toward either Corozal or San Ignacio. What's going on in those communities? What do y'all do to keep busy all day? This retirement thing will be a new experience for both of us but we're not ready for the barco lounger!

Thanks,

Ned

If you are self motivated, no end to active sports on water on sea or inland rivers or lagoons.  Inland offers grt hiking, mtn biking and trips/activities for adventure tourism.  Plenty of outlets for helping others and projects you can join or mount.  You just have to do it, as you would anywhere

Thanks for the reply. I'm not so much worried about the sports side of it as I'm interested in the people. What are the active charities that need another warm body down there? I'll sweep floors, stuff envelopes, whatever is needed. Anything to keep me off the couch. But, I don't hear much chatter about that side of life down there.

Ned

Life here is what you make it. There's plenty of adventure, its just a matter of how adventurous are you?

Lots of people get around on bicycles here, and I thought you and I talked about the Bay and you kayaking on it.

I would say you have to cross into Mexico to go see a movie. That's not happening here, and buying the knockoff films hasn't really worked for me.

I still don't get tired of just strolling around down town. After awhile everywhere you go, you'll run into friends. There are also some active artists here, if you are into that.

Corozal I have found is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of being in a hurry.

Hi Ned,

One caution, until you have been here for 6 months, you cannot apply for a work permit.
You will need a work permit to do any volunteer work and you have to apply through the Dept of Labour in your local town. They can sometimes take a month or two to process, depending on the town.

Once you have your Permanent Residence, the volunteer work is no problem, or any other kind of work.

There are different rules if you come in under QRP, but you cannot take the job of a native born Belizean.

So you will have to plan other activities for the first few months here.

Thanks Nichi and Hawk,

We can wait to get involved in volunteering on a formal basis. Heck, I'll walk around the park and pick up trash once in a while just to be useful! And I do plan on bringing the Kayak - I'll be out there on the water and have already looked at the maps, Chetumal is just around the corner and even San Pedro looks to be within striking distance in my boat.

I was just asking because it seems most of the discussion revolves around places to eat (nothing wrong with that) and places to drink (I've been known to tip a few) and questions about relocating. I hadn't seen a whole lot about what the daily life is like there.

I'll continue to lurk, with your permission, and we'll hope to see you in a year or so. Meanwhile, if anyone from there ever gets up to the Dallas area please get in touch. I'd love to visit with you and I'm sure my wife will have a ton of questions.

Ned

white rock.   great questions.  I too am very interested in the answers people post.   here in Corozal there is a womans group that does some volunteer work.  a struggling Rotary, a childrens sailing club.   Masons fellowship.  I think we need a little Humane society.  I have not been here long enough to really know much on this topic.  I have been very busy just trying to get settled..

White Rock...the obvious thing is SCUBA...do you dive. They have the second largest reef in the world here.

10 minutes from the Maya...we could go wrestle some Crocodiles. But sometimes its easier to just go get a pizza and a beer lol.

I have my dive masters card, and if that's something you might be interested in...I'll point you in the right direction.

Its a 45 minute drive to Orange Walk...they have these great river trips into the heart of darkness.....lol.

You can also visit Mayan ruins in a lot of places, or cross the border and go see Chichen Itza my favorite pyramid.

Thanks to all for the fast answers. Sounds like boating, snorkaling and scuba diving, the Mayan ruins, swimming, eating and drinking, bird watching (at least in the interior), and walking are all possibles. I'm not interested in working for pay but would like to stay active in the community. Looking for things to do like volunteering at church (I'm Catholic), or at the local schools, the library or museum (if there are any in Corozal), or the hospital. Are there any areas of society there that need an old guy who's ready and willing? And, my wife's an R.N. so she's available for anything where she might help. Of course, she probably wouldn't be licensed in Belize but still has all her nursing skills.

Think about it and let us know. We're ready to retire from the 9 to 5 grind but still want to contribute to the community.

I am not familiar with Corozal. But here in the South  Belize Schools and churches are always looking for volunteers. there are many clinics  in Belize  run by volunteers.