Pay as you go internet/TV/phone???

Hi all :)

I'm new to this forum (and very new in Malta!!!), so appologies if this has been answered somewhere... Did have a look through previous posts, but couldn't see any.

I'm trying to get internet/TV/phone for my house in Birgebbuga, but GO says without an ID card I need to pay €1000 for deposit!!!!! I mean Good Grief!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on which provider will assist? I really only need the internet, so happy if its not a package deal.

Thank you!!
Nadine

this is a common problem and one that really shouldnt exist - a deposit yes but €1000 is outlandish - it seems to differ from one Go outlet to another and also seems to depend on the package you want....

I was under the recent impression that Go charged refundable deposits which would be refunded once you got your ID sorted.

€1000 - what is their justification for that.... the equipment and service offered isnt worth it IMHO

you could try a vodafone dongle for internet and use that for www.filmon.com (which is free in SD) all UKTV and then some.... of course it all depends on what you want to use it for

or you could try for a smart mobile phone (like the iphone) with apps for tv etc....... and plug that into a tv for viewing - unless things have changed dramatically with Go offering phones with internet packages etc - our mates got two of these without id cards .... just passports and lease agreements.

Thanks for all the info!!! :-D Hopefully I'll come right with one of the provider's...

Hi Nadine,

€1000 deposit asked...OMFG!!! It's getting worst day by day! Oh well, I have paid €200 deposit with Melita when they installed my TV/Internet/Phone, and I already thought was quite a lot. Go to a Melita reseller shop and make an esquire there, IMHO, they're not too bad. They're internet it's faster than GO, they're much quicker installing the services and they also have quite good packages as well. I have been with them for about 6 months now, and a part of few small issues, I am quite happy with their services.

Best of luck!

Antonio

Go did not want any deposit from me. Sounds like someone trying it on.
Also suggest you contact rooikat, she is from SA, speaks Afrikaans and can help you with anything.

Thanks Antonio

Tried Melita and they'll charge €175 deposit. So it seems to totally depend on who you speak to!!! One would think they have a fixed deposit charge...

Thanks Redmik! Will probably try a different Go outlet... Luck of the draw it sounds like :)

Melita (Naxxar) charged us a €250 deposit (for an internet package, 2 x 3G mobile phones and mobile contract) When we received our IDs they credited our Melita account, would not pay back cash - not a huge problem as we don't have to pay monthly rental for a couple of months until the credit is exhausted.

we got our cash back - its wrong of them not too refund.

We tried arguing - it didn't get us anywhere and it hadn't been recorded in the contract that it would be paid back as cash - we were pretty new here at the time, we have become much sharper in checking this type of thing now ;)

Again, seems that the information provided, is different from person to person. I was told recently by a melita shop's assistant that I could chose from use the deposit towards my monthly bills, or get it paid directly to me by cheque. I got this info from a melita shop in Valletta, the one inside Harvey's shopping mall.

Looks like I'll be shop-crawling till I strike it lucky :-D

Good thing its month-end. I have a feeling those who weren't asked for deposits got a sales guy who needed to hit monthly sales target...

that is a distinct possibility........OIM

mantonas wrote:

Again, seems that the information provided, is different from person to person. I was told recently by a melita shop's assistant that I could chose from use the deposit towards my monthly bills, or get it paid directly to me by cheque. I got this info from a melita shop in Valletta, the one inside Harvey's shopping mall.

That is the shop that told us Melita wouldn't give us the deposit back in cash. We use the Valletta shop frequently as they are very helpful, so we believed what they said.....They accessed our account details online and told us we couldn't have cash/cheque as a refund and they then started the process to credit to our account - I don't think they could have gained any commission on that. However, perhaps the reason for us not getting our deposit back as a cheque is because we do not have a bank account in Malta and we did not have our own 3G mobiles when we took out the contract (we had the old fashioned type without 3G that we had bought in London about 7 years ago!) Melita is probably protecting themselves as we could have walked off with their phones and cash and there was no way they could recoup their money. That's not to say that we couldn't still do that when the credit is exhausted :) but they have trusted us so far. All in all we got a good deal from them but have found that the sales person (not Melita) is the one that makes the difference. We were not impressed with the Naxxar sales person, whereas the Valletta sales people are very efficient and helpful.

rooikat wrote:
mantonas wrote:

That is the shop that told us Melita wouldn't give us the deposit back in cash. We use the Valletta shop frequently as they are very helpful, so we believed what they said.....They accessed our account details online and told us we couldn't have cash/cheque as a refund and they then started the process to credit to our account - I don't think they could have gained any commission on that. However, perhaps the reason for us not getting our deposit back as a cheque is because we do not have a bank account in Malta and we did not have our own 3G mobiles when we took out the contract (we had the old fashioned type without 3G that we had bought in London about 7 years ago!) Melita is probably protecting themselves as we could have walked off with their phones and cash and there was no way they could recoup their money. That's not to say that we couldn't still do that when the credit is exhausted :) but they have trusted us so far. All in all we got a good deal from them but have found that the sales person (not Melita) is the one that makes the difference. We were not impressed with the Naxxar sales person, whereas the Valletta sales people are very efficient and helpful.

seems to be the way

rooikat wrote:

That's fair enough rooikat :)

It is heartening to observe that most contributors to this particular thread have successfully claimed and received their deposit refunds in full for internet/telephony/Pay TV service provision.

However, primarily for the benefit of new members of the forum, please see the following: 

Claim your deposit refunds in full for internet/telephony/Pay TV service provision. 

Att: Non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens:

1)  In March, 2012, ‘...A spokesperson for the Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority said the authority is aware of measures imposed on EU nationals living in Malta including the requirement to pay deposits for the provision of telephony and internet services but said that the measures are "not discriminatory."

The spokesperson said "service providers impose deposit payments on foreign residents as a safeguard in case the foreign customers leave the island without paying for any pending bills.",,,,,,,,,,,'

Source: Maltatoday, Friday, 9th March, 2012: Consumer authority - foreigners not being discriminated against

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … d-20120309

2)  However, following a formal complaint I registered at EU institutional level, the European Commission wrote to and informed me on 19th December, 2012, as follows: 

‘….With regard to deposits, the Maltese authorities have informed us that GO plc does not request deposits for its services, either from Maltese or EU nationals…..'

So, if - in the past - whether as a tenant or an owner-occupier - you paid GO plc (or formerly Maltacom / Telemalta Corporation) a deposit for telephony/internet/Pay TV service provision - claim your refund in full now.

On the other hand, Melita plc may require a deposit from non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens who:

A) Do not have an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card.

B) Have an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card, but fail to meet Melita's credit conditions or fail to make due payments.   

The position in respect of Vodafone Malta was not specified.

Nevertheless, in March 2011, Vodafone Malta was reportedly requiring deposits from non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens.

In this regard, please see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70883

In conclusion, I can also confirm that the European Commission has - in the meantime - commenced procedures against the Maltese authorities regarding these illegalities.