Parasites!

Here is what the State of Washington says about purifying water:

Purifying by boiling

If your tap water is unsafe, boiling is the best method to kill disease-causing organisms.

If tap water is unavailable, the following may be considered as potential water sources. Water taken from these sources should be boiled before drinking.

Rainwater
    Lakes
    Rivers and streams
    Natural springs
    Ponds

Caution: Many chemical pollutants will not be removed by boiling.

Cloudy water should be filtered before boiling. Filter cloudy water using coffee filters, paper towels, cheesecloth or a cotton plug in a funnel.     

Bring the water to a rolling boil for at least one full minute.
    Let the water cool before drinking.
    Add two drops of household bleach per gallon to maintain water quality while in storage.

Purifying by adding liquid chlorine bleach

Treat water by adding liquid household bleach, such as Clorox or Purex.
    Household bleach is typically between 5.25 percent and 8.25 percent chlorine. Read the label.
    Avoid using bleaches that contain perfumes, dyes and other additives. Be sure to read the label.
    Cloudy water should be filtered before adding bleach.
    Place the water in a clean container. Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.
    Mix thoroughly and let stand for at least 60 minutes before drinking.

Treating water with household bleach containing 5.25-8.25 percent chlorine
Volume of Water to be Treated     Bleach Solution to Add
1 quart/1 liter     5 drops
1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters     10 drops
1 gallon     1/4 teaspoon
5 gallons     1 teaspoon
10 gallons     2 teaspoons

Caution: Bleach will not kill some disease-causing organisms commonly found in surface water. Bleach will not remove chemical pollutants.

DOH Pub 821-031
Revised - July 2013

This is not Washington. We dont treat water here we BUY filtered drinkable water for less then a dollar for the big blue jug!!!

All this does is confuse things. We dont use water from streams and treat them as many locations dont have sewers and everything goes into the river or stream. We dont have water treatment plants or enforced regulations for pollution either.

Xavier_Onassis your post really has nothing to do with reality here. As planner said we all use the big blue bottled jugs of water.  Cost here about 91 cents for a 5 gal jug that in the Washington would cost you $6-$8.  So no wonder why they use chlorine.

Bob K

Having lived in Washington State for three years, where I never bought bottled water for anything but my steam iron, I think that they posted this for campers and for emergencies. I posted this because someone mentioned purifying water with Clorox. It is better to know how much to use and not need it than it is to not know and need it.

I would imagine that people who treated water with bleach in the DR would be people who found it was unavailable for one reason or another at the colmado or perhaps could not carry it home.5 gallons does weigh around 40 lbs.

People buy a lot of bottled water here in Miami, but I don't because all you have to do to eliminate the chlorine taste is to let it sit for while uncorked. The bottled water business has been one of the greatest triumphs of the advertising industry ever. 50 years ago, the only people who bought bottled water did so only because they didn't want to clog up their steam irons, or were severely paranoid. I used to work in a drugstore, where we poured distilled water from 5 gallon jugs into 1 gallon jugs and sold them for 35¢. We sold about ten gallons a week, about half for people who used it in steam irons, and half to a couple of resident hypochondriacs.

I did not post this to offend anyone. I just thought it was useful to know.

When I am in the DR, I  also drink purified water from the 5 gallon jugs.

Absolutely no offense taken.  Only did not want to confuse those moving here or visiting.

Bob K

I decided to post this under "rainy season", since it does not deal with parasites.

As for carrying  5 gallon jugs - colmados deliver.....LOL  Everything and anything gets delivered.......

yeah I used cloro or iodine word in my post, but I should let you all know that is for DESINFECTING the fruits and veggies, that is how they teach you in the culinary school or restaurants.
in case of you do not have water tank chlorine tablets, you should consider using chlorine to disinfect your veggies and fruits.
so first you wash the leaves finely to remove dust and dirt.
after that ,you leave them in a correct proportion of water iodine or water chlorine combination.
I am a person who always used to believe that it was not necessary to disinfect,i always believe that it was enough to wash them. and as humans we should create defenses.i used to eat at the streets,played with stray dogs and cats.
in my country of origin the water comes directly with chlorine(I remember when I was a lil kid)so I did not have to desparasitar.
but ,incredibly 2012 November in Cancun,2013 November and 2014 may-june(the last one was so horrible took me 40 days) I had parasites.
so, I ,Selen, chef, try to disinfect if I don't trust the water tank where I live.

Non offense :) but hope you people understand that I am not talking about drinking water. I am talking about foods that should get cleaned and disinfect, specially lettuce-parsley kind veggies.
if you have a purification system added to your tap, or if you can wash your veggies with drinking water, that is perfect.
and please don't get scared, it is not only DR, it is all Central America and Caribbean I guess(as I lived in different parts).
My greetings to all. hope we do not get more pets and anacondas inside of us :)

No one here has Iodine but everyone has  Clorox bleach or Cloro!!  That is why we use it, or vinegar. 

So all that advice about Iodine was not helpful and actually confuses some.  (cant remember who talked about it)

Yup with veggies and fruit if you don't peel it wash it.  I routinely use  vinegar in my water to wash them.  And I am still here.....LOL 

I also take a parasite killer preventatively every  3 or 4 months. It is inexpensive and doesn't hurt anything good.

yep yep :) remember vinegar is not a disinfecter. it just elevates the acidity of the water so your apples of lettuce leaves don't get oxidated. but what they teach us, vinegar doesn't kill the microbes.
yes, we should get parasite killer every 3-4months,that what my gastro doctor told me in Mexico.
please do not get confused with iodine :) I take it back. hahah
( I look like working,writing emails to companies,but I am responding the forum. :))

Ok,  well that is what I use and it is working but thank you!!!!   I will start adding a touch of cloro.............

Yep one chloro tab in the cistern every month and a small amount for washing veggies and such.  This is even though our well has been tested and the water is actually potable.

However still only drink bottled but will cook with our tap water.

Bob K