Spirit Possession Rituals in Vietnam

Okay, I am curious and would like to know if anyone knows anything about spirit possession rituals in Vietnam? Has anyone  ever witnessed or participated in one? My extended family in Vietnam participates in them every time a family member passes. They also use mediums. I heard that those rituals are outlawed in Vietnam??? I am not interested in participating in one but I am intrigued and would like to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Alright, Lan, who or what do you want to sacrifice now?  Just tell us.  Maybe one of us will be able to perform the ritual...

Wild_1 wrote:

Alright, Lan, who or what do you want to sacrifice now?  Just tell us.  Maybe one of us will be able to perform the ritual...

Howie

:dumbom: You didn't answer my question about Spirit Possession Rituals!!!:lol: Not about sacrificing but communication with people that have passed over through a medium. :lol:

Wait just a minute...  I thought all of those guys (the "thay phap," the medicine men, even the snake oil salesmen) were cut from the same mold, no???

Anyway, so what are you looking to say to the spirits?  Will texting do???

Hello there are two types of spiritual possessions and both have medium. One is semi-legal, the other one I think is still illegal but everyone turns a blind eye on it.

The one you talked about is most likely "gọi hồn"; during the session family members talk with the one that passed away through a medium. Keep in mind that a medium could be anyone in the crowd. Quite a few stories I have heard the possessed one turned out to be one of the family members, e.g. the granddaughter, the daughter-in-law. I personally find those stories most intriguing. I have never attended one though it's quite common. Since no one in my (extended) family has passed away yet, I don't really see the need to check it out to see how valid it is.

The second kind of ritual possessions is called "lên đồng." This is the illegal one though it's gained a lot of ground especially in the past 5 years or so. Before it was mostly considered superstition and people had to practice and attend sessions in secret. Now it's seen more and more as a cultural tradition and are very popular among the older population. I have never attended a session either. A session can last several days and can be quite pricey. I, however, watched a ton of videos. My mom got them because she was kinda into them for a while. And I'm in general interested in music, dance, and folk religion. If you truly want to understand the religious life and history and Vietnamese, then this is something you should look into. And I highly highly recommend you watch the documentary "love man love woman" (ái nam ái nữ) on one of the leading practitioners (cô đồng) in Hanoi. Characters featured in the film talk about why they turned to lên đồng, how they become practitioners, what they see as their responsibilities and what it means to their spiritual life. Very insightful.

Lan, you should meet my fiance and the both of you can go to these spirit rituals. Just make sure they leave the lights on.

Wild_1 wrote:

Wait just a minute...  I thought all of those guys (the "thay phap," the medicine men, even the snake oil salesmen) were cut from the same mold, no???

Anyway, so what are you looking to say to the spirits?  Will texting do???

Howie, this is for you :dumbom::lol:

freshair wrote:

Hello there are two types of spiritual possessions and both have medium. One is semi-legal, the other one I think is still illegal but everyone turns a blind eye on it.

The one you talked about is most likely "gọi hồn"; during the session family members talk with the one that passed away through a medium. Keep in mind that a medium could be anyone in the crowd. Quite a few stories I have heard the possessed one turned out to be one of the family members, e.g. the granddaughter, the daughter-in-law. I personally find those stories most intriguing. I have never attended one though it's quite common. Since no one in my (extended) family has passed away yet, I don't really see the need to check it out to see how valid it is.

The second kind of ritual possessions is called "lên đồng." This is the illegal one though it's gained a lot of ground especially in the past 5 years or so. Before it was mostly considered superstition and people had to practice and attend sessions in secret. Now it's seen more and more as a cultural tradition and are very popular among the older population. I have never attended a session either. A session can last several days and can be quite pricey. I, however, watched a ton of videos. My mom got them because she was kinda into them for a while. And I'm in general interested in music, dance, and folk religion. If you truly want to understand the religious life and history and Vietnamese, then this is something you should look into. And I highly highly recommend you watch the documentary "love man love woman" (ái nam ái nữ) on one of the leading practitioners (cô đồng) in Hanoi. Characters featured in the film talk about why they turned to lên đồng, how they become practitioners, what they see as their responsibilities and what it means to their spiritual life. Very insightful.

Freshair, thank you for taking the time in giving me a lead. I will definitely check out the documentary you suggested!

Lan

khanh44 wrote:

Lan, you should meet my fiance and the both of you can go to these spirit rituals. Just make sure they leave the lights on.

I would bring my rosary just in case...:D
I wouldn't mind meeting your fiancé even if we didn't go to these rituals.  I had the chance to go when my uncle passed but it was somewhere in the jungle (a secret place). I didn't go but my mom, female cousin, and aunt went. She said it was performed by a woman who spoke Cambodian but the spirit that possessed her spoke Vietnamese. They do this every time a family member passes and believe me they are many!

Wow, there is a language barrier in the after-life too, huh?  Khanh, you better sharpen up on your language skills:  you don't want to be "way over there," and not being able to get yourself understood.

I wish that I can see some 'original' :D
Fed up with Korean and Chinese 'ma' movies even though they are beautiful.

Your spirits are talking to me.  They want you to close out your bank account, sell everything you own and send the money to Howie or maybe me.  To be safe, send it to both of us...

Hi Mia,

It's believed that there are some dimensions that normal people could't see. Those dimensions might be a world that dead people or may be god and saints are "living".

And some special people have a super energy they can see those hidden dimensions.

Based on that "theory", people believe that superman aka psychic can "communicate" with passed people or even God!

In recent years ago, Vietnam had a well-know and also controversy psychic: Phan Thi Bich Hang. She is very famous in looking dead solders in Vietnam war because she can "communicate" with them (dead solders). Some people said that is jugglery, I'm not sure :-)

You can search "phan thi bich hang psychic" for more info.

Goodluck!

Eric.

Thank you Eric!

lan

AncientPathos!

This is for you and wild :dumbom::lol:

Lan,

You are approaching the realm of witchcraft...  And you know what we do with those, right?  Well, if you do what Ancientpathos said, then we might reconsider.

Wild_1 wrote:

Lan,

You are approaching the realm of witchcraft...  And you know what we do with those, right?  Well, if you do what Ancientpathos said, then we might reconsider.

Howie,

I just want some cerebral stimulation o.k.:Gloria Anyways there's a book from SOUTHEAST ASIA PROGRAM @ Cornell University that I gonna get. Again, this is for you!:dumbom:

Lan  :lol::lol:

well i'm not sure about these rituals but I did experience something like this. It happened when I followed my girlfriend back to her hometown in Quy Nhon, Binh Dinh.

Her family always approaches this master for fortune telling to get lucky days and see whats coming up in the near future. I decided to follow her and they house was like way way way deep deep deep in the outskirts. Then I decided to give it a try with the palm reading and telling the future. Well he started talking some language but I had no idea whatsoever language it was. Then he told me he had talked to my ancestors and told me somethings about my past and stuff like that. Some of it were true or most of it were. It wasn't really exactly true but it did kind of freaked me out a little. Anyway, never gonna try that again.

Lan,

I didn't know that they teach shamanism at Cornell??? 

Sure...  Keep at this, and in a few years, you will become a great shaman (Do they have shawoman?) yourself.

Can someone please insert an image of a great shaman for Lan, to use as visual???  Somehow I just can't do it with this old laptop of mine.  Thanks.

wish I could find a decent picture............

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Hamatsa_shaman2.jpg
I got your back Howie.

jakejas wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … haman2.jpg
I got your back Howie.

Hey!!!! Who gave you my high school pictures? :lol::lol::lol:

Jakejas,

Thanks, bro.  That is exactly the image I wanted to show Lan.  Now, you didn't talk to the spirit of my long-lost godfather, did you???

Did he also tell you that the woman from Voodooland still has a way to go to get "there"?

Lol, it looks like that guy got a little too excited when making a Christmas wreath.

Man, in Voodooland, just like in shamanism or MLM, EVERYTHING is exciting.

Cult leaders would probably make a lot of money in MLM.

same old, same old.  Nothing new. Move along. I've investigated at least 6 of these "supernatural Medium".  While some are very good at telling about your PAST (remember, I said PAST), they couldn't predicted CRAP (excuse my "french") about the present or future. I see soooo many people (mostly housewives and gullible young folks)taking in by this...A lot of them ended up emptying their bank accounts.  Chasing dreams that never fulfill. 

They are true medium, but the entities that possessed them are NOT from "higher beings", the entities are simply roaming ghosts / spirits who are more mischevious than helpful.

A lot of them from VN came here and are here in the Houston, Texas area...where I live. 20 yrs ago, Vietnamese often visited these "mediums", now, you only see Mexicans and blacks as customers.  Aparently, once Vietnamese folks see the truth, they stop coming.

Your spirits are talking to me.  They want you to close out your bank account, sell everything you own and send the money to Howie or maybe me.  To be safe, send it to both of us...

:lol::lol:

Hi, I am a professional astrologer and psychic, I can help to know this  . . . .

May I ask which university you obtained your degree?

I herd that black majic or voodoo is on the rise in Vietnam. This is not a new thing, i dont know the word for it in Vietnamise, but my wife tells me Cham people practice this alot. She goes to a fortune teller quite often, some old women who goes into a trance and predicts alot of stuff. Im a christian so in my book it tells us that no one can predict whats going to happen ahead of time. I got to say that this women knows names of freinds and family that live miles away. My wife s just told me the name is bua nam ong. It can be used for luck, and it can be used to give people bad luck. I dont think its leagle, and i know alot of people who are very scared of this. Thats about all i can tell you.

:lol:

Vietnamese people are very superstitious; there are a number of things that one must do before and after having a baby that are just pure nonsense such as not washing your hair for a month etc. You must never step over a baby or it will be dumb when it grows up; the list is endless. A very important religion, Cao Dai, is based on human communication with God. In fact all their higher dignitaries are all chosen by God through séances. They have sped up the communication with God from the slow Table Tipping to the faster corbeille a bec or "Ngoc Co." which is a basket affair held by two people. There are millions of followers in spite of the nonsense. The government outlawed séances after the war so now the religion is run by a bunch of very old men as they aren't allowed to talk with God to choose new leaders. Don't challenge Vietnamese beliefs in the after or other world, they take it very seriously regardless of the lack of logic.

Religions...sticks turning into snakes, a man being swallowed by a fish, Cain killing Abel and then being banished by "God" and then marrying a women in Ur. Huh?  If there was only this Adam, Eve, and now Cain....who the he** did Cain find to marry?  A mermaid living in the desert? So much of all religions are hokus pokus...

Hocus pocus

Tutenkamen wrote:

Religions...sticks turning into snakes, a man being swallowed by a fish, Cain killing Abel and then being banished by "God" and then marrying a women in Ur. Huh?  If there was only this Adam, Eve, and now Cain....who the he** did Cain find to marry?  A mermaid living in the desert? So much of all religions are hokus pokus...

My favourite is the virgin birth, ( or maybe they did have artificial insemination in those days? )

Thank you happy for correcting me.

Yes there are many people that believe the 'virgin birth' ( the one known as John the Baptist was also similar ) may have been an artificially induced process. This is along the lines that believe ancient texts in creation stories were a genetic engineering process by more technologically advanced beings. See Sumerian writings  (cuneiform tablets) regarding these. But, there were many ancient cultures that had identical story lines and characters that ended up in the Torah, Bibles, and the Qu'ran. Some are identical in fact.

I like what Nikola Tesla said when he was alive. He said that if you want to know the secrets of the Universe, then understand energy, frequency, and vibration. There are some videos on YT that shows what happens when sound frequencies are applied to table salt. The table salt forms different geometric patterns based on the tone / pitch of the sound frequency. There are also some videos showing what happens when sound is applied to a drop of water. At a certain frequency, the drop forms into a tetrahedron. A tetrahedron is one of the plutonic solids.

There is a similar pattern between light and sound. White light is made up a multitude of colors (rainbow, prisms, etc). Sound for example is made up of tones (musical notes from A,B,C,D,E,F,G (do ray me fah see lah tee doe ) and then when A is reached again, you go to the next higher octave. Octave coming from octagon which means 8. 8 is a special number in that you can write the number 8 over and over again without having to raise your pen; it represents never ending cycles.

In Biblical texts it mentions "Mystery Schools" and in particular the one that is mentioned is the one in Kemet; or is referred to nowadays as Egypt. It even says a one known as Moses was well schooled in the Mystery Schools of Egypt. There were many mystery schools in those days in the Near East, Middle East, and reaching northward into what is known today as Greece. However, everything they learned originally came out of Kemet/Egypt. Even the Greek philosophers traveled to Kemet to learn, as did many famous peoples of history.

I do believe in what you are looking into is very interesting. I am not knocking it at all. There are so many issues in so many subject matters that have their roots in very very old parts of this World but have been buried either intentionally or by other methods.

oh my God, I'll think I'll go back to the jokes thread. ( BTW, was that Telsa guy related to the car maker? )

Nope

Cao Dai is the only religious organization make use of spirit possession rituals in Viet Nam that. It's pretty young, born in the middle the Vietnam-USA War period.

A semi organized form of organization is coalescent around the worship of mother goddesses (Mau). The rituals (len dong) are performed in any temple that has an altar for one form/avatar of mother goddesses, which is to say, pretty much any and all temple/shrine.  The only way it's not happening in pagodas is that the disapproval of buddhist groups and monk/nun resident.

The easiest time to see Len dong is in 1st and 15th day each month of lunar calendar. The easiest place, probabbly, is Phu Giay, Nam Dinh Province, If there is ever be a seat of the religious movement, it would be here, the main temple of mother goddess in the form of Lieu Hanh, one of 4 immortal in VN native pantheon. Her secondary temple is in Phu Tay Ho, on shore of West Lake Hanoi, but it's near the govement centre so official come down hard on rituals there.

Many potential transgender people found place in this movement. It's natural for a "dong co, dong cau" (a possessee) act female-like, or just plain gay and no one will turn a hair over that. You may not like them, but it's the way you dont like the smell of Mam Tom, Sau Rieng, etc... nothing bad about it.

Personally, my maternal grandmother is into this very strong, with a major altar erect at home and bimonthly ritual. Some of my aunts are lukewarm interested in it, once she passed away, and the altar fallen into disuse.