Passport & Visa question

As a Canadian citizen, I'm able to stay in Malaysia for 90 days without a visa.

My question is: How long must I leave the country before I can re-enter? Is it 90 days like the Schengen Zone in Europe, a single day, or something else entirely?

More general Q: Does anyone know a good way to find this information out for any (or most) countries? I find my internet searches turn up little of use.

Thanks for the help!
AJ

You need to leave Malaysia for at least 24 hours. You will be questioned at the border when you return.

Thanks for the info Gravitas!

You will not be questioned when you returned to Malaysia.
if they ask anything and normally they do not you just say you are looking where to invest or just travelling.
You can not trust 100% advices on this blog.
Been there 19 years and you will not have any problem anytime you live or come back to Malaysia, specially Canadian or Australian passport holder.
You do not trust any agent for any reason including immigration or visa issues.
While you are in Malaysia you just take a time and go to immigration to ask yourself and they will inform you everything there is to know.
You will be given VIP treatment every where you go ( avoid making any negative comment political religious and any type)  but be careful any type of agent promising that you will be helped:
immigration, accommodation(maybe)share market(they will tell you that artificially they will push shares up) or anything like that.
Hopefully you will learn that easy way and not hard way.

And if you just take your time to assessed the country then you will be living like a King and that is true.
I was living like that.
Regards

Taslik - times change and I am afraid the normal procedure in the last 2-3 years is to be questioned when you return. This is especially the case if a person has only left the country for one day - it is pretty obvious that it is a so-called "visa run".

It's because of all the illegal immigration problems here and around the world. At the moment there is a big drive to sort immigration out, so there are lots of raids on areas where people live or work who do not have valid travel documents.  I see them regularly and the newspapers are full of photos and reports. It's called the 6P programme and it has been ongoing since 2011.

ajwalton does not have need to consult immigration as there are no visas required for the 90 days he is able to remain at any one time in Malaysia. Of course, the only reason could be that he bumps into someone and finds out a company wants to hire him and arrange an employment pass on his behalf and then the company would do all the necessary paperwork at no cost to him. However, his embassy/high commission can assist should any difficulties arise during his stay. Agreed - don't part with any money to people promising goods and services, apart from obviously reputable sources.

Otherwise, enjoy your stay in Malaysia and make sure you travel as much as possible as it has some amazing places to visit. Neighbouring countries are also great for additional exploration.

I was there 4 months ago and after 19 years of stay.
Times and things will not change in 4 months.
Immigration issues handle case by case and British Canadian Australian passport holders not having much problems at all as they are genuine travellers or potential investors.
I am afraid everything I say I am stand by and your response does not make any sense at all.
Your comment might discourage  potential investors investing in Malaysia and that is not to good for Malaysia's interest.
Think about it.

Halit

Taslik - it's nothing to do with investment in Malaysia - its tourism. Immigration officers are just doing their job properly. There is no problem for travellers but just protocols and spot checks. I was in and out of the country 3 times earlier in the year and questioned at KLCC airport (finger prints already on record as part of the immigration process for a couple of years, so they had all my immigration history in front of them). Still they asked the purpose of my entry into Malaysia and I live here.

Again,
Been there 19 years I just returned back to Melbourne.,
They do it case by case and probably your comment will nor be helpful and I can not see any benefit to anybody only obvious conclusion is that your negativity and the impression you gave to potential travellers is not helpful to local tourism industry.
So why would you make comments like that?

Because if there is a chance of being questioned on why only 24 hours has elapsed since going out of the country (different from probably your trip to Melbourne which was no doubt a bit longer?) then it is best to at least be prepared for what can happen.  It's not negative it's positive assistance and not just glossing over the facts. Knowing that "difficult" people like you live in Malaysia is more off-putting.

Hi all,

Please note that some off topic comments have been removed from the thread.

Thanks
Armand

Don't worry, I won't be scared off - I want to make sure I do things right so I can STAY. I'm not one to try to game the system so thanks for letting me know how things work.

Cheers

Ajwalton,

You wont have a problem in entering and re- entering Malaysia specially that you are a Canadian citizen they will embrace you with open arms hehehe.

And every time you re enter they will always give you the automatic 90 days visa.

Darkmocha is not actually correct.  It is at the discretion of the immigration official who processes your re-entry and the prevailing immigration instructions on how long they will give you on each re-entry. The maximum will be 3 months but it can also be less.

Ajwalton

I am positive that Canada is in the list of the countries that is given automatic 90 days in entering Malaysia. It's in their website  Malaysia Embassy website just check and confirmed.

It's NEVER A DISCRETION of an immigration officer because their is a law for that. Mind you I have to to bring a print screen of that laws that is in their website because MOST of the immigration officer specially in the booths (not at the airport) is not knowledgeable enough with their OWN IMMIGRATION LAW.

[keep this comment for you please]

darkmocha sorry you wrong gravitas right.

Even with your prearranged visa the entrance officer can reject you and send you back. There is no law to say they have to take you. If they suspect a tourist will work or do something illegal they need no proof.

Often they don't care if a westerner is well dressed and looks decent. Probability is they have money and won't work illegally. An Asian citizen from a poor country is far more likely to work illegally so.more hassles. They work on statistics

But I have seen westerners rejected. All travellers should realise that they should have credit cards on then and cash to show they are able to support themselves.

Yes there are some in Malaysia 20 years on tourist visas. They seem to be allowed on basis you must have cash so no risk. But things change and they are fussier now. It is easier to catch white people working illegally. They stand out more in a bar for example in a raid. So lower risk. But immi can and do refuse entry to westerners

Hi AJ,
Actually, you can go to Singapore for a day or two and return to KL. I strongly suggest you use KLIA, coz the immigration officer will not question you too much.
Good luck.
Joe

Peace Guys :)

Remembers that our aim and ambition here is to help people who want to live abroad.

Lets calm down for the wellness of the Forum and try to keep this spirit of mutual help up please

Some off topic posts have been removed from this discussion

Thank you

Maximilien

Dear TayLee,
I believe the information you received is correct. Hence, it will be much easier to quickly apply for your employment visa so you don't have to go out from the country often which subjected to a lot of hassle.
Good luck.
Joe

I only got a 1 month visa when I returned to KL and would normally be given a 3 month one for people of my nationality. Luckily I was travelling to Cambodia so it did not matter. On my next return I got a visa until what would have been the end of my employment pass that I had cancelled.  Just a sign of the times - immigration trying to stop people working in KL without an employment pass/spouse pass.  In all likelihood you will get 3 months, but it is not a right.