LIFE IN MAURITIUS

MY NAME IS RAJENDRA RAMKALAWON. I WORKED IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR, AT SENIOR MANAGEMENT LEVEL FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS AND AM STILL WORKING.

WE, MAURITIANS,ARE COURTEOUS AND HELPFUL TO OTHERS AT ANY MOMENT.
THOSE WORDS ARE VERY COMMON IN THE MOUTH OF MOST FOREIGNERS WHO VISITED THE ISLAND AND COME ACROSS.

WE HAVE A STABLE GOVERNMENT WITH FAR SIGHTED VISIONS, ALWAYS CARING
TO MOVE FORWARD ECONOMICALLY AND SUSTAIN WITH GREAT CARE THE WELFARE STATE.

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT ANY MOMENT IF YOU DO NEED ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICES.

CHEERS!!!

Hi RAJENDRA RAMKALAWON,

Tell us more about yourself?

Please avoid posting in caps lock, it make your post difficult to read.

Thank you,

David.

greetings for the day.

I am considering to locate and settle in Mauritius and while gathering information I have come across following information which may or may not be true.So, please comment:
1. There is milk supply problem
2. There is power supply and mobile network issues
3. The locals specially taxi drivers force and chase expat till the expat get annoyed. Hawkers over charge foreigners.
4. Potable water problem is going there in Mauritius
5. Climate is very hot and without AC life is miserable
6. Daily requirements like medicines, clinics, hair cutting saloon, plumbers etc are not near walking distance of the IRS/RES
7. No of schools are very less than required. Expat find very difficult admission in schools.
8. Any other problem you would like to bring to notice:

Thank you.

hi david,

thanks for your comments. nobody is perfect but there is still room
for improvement. i am not a member of this government but i adopt the principle of : " live and let live". i hate to criticize but i love critics and i act behind the scene for no remuneration.

regards

rajendra

to 91667

If you have already heard of all these problems then your attitude is already negative and not conducive to someone who could relocate anywhere abroad!

Also - I'm pretty sure India's not perfect! ;)

Gurj,

Re-read my post above what I have written.

"I am considering to locate and settle in Mauritius and while gathering information I have come across following information which may or may not be true.So, please comment:"

I have some information which I want to confirm thats all ! 
I will be grateful if you just give your comments point wise on my point.
Thank you.

Ok then!

1. I have not experienced any milk supply problem and I love milk!
2. Power supply is fine and network is ok to excellent if you pay for the right package - better at some times than others - definitely no worse than India so you'll be used to it!
3. You can get overcharged - if you don't have the confidence to haggle and know when you are being overcharged - you'll find this happens in a lot of places abroad ( have you travelled?). However most Mauritians are honest and friendly - if you are honest and friendly.
4. Bottled water is sooooo cheap! water from tap cleaner than India by far anyway.
5.errr...and you're from Mumbai?? Is it not hot there then? lovely sea breezes here and only really hot around January! AC is everywhere..or else get it fitted!
6.pharmacies etc are everywhere!
7. No idea on schooling as I don't have kids, I have a lifestyle!

The reason for my previous post was just that you seem to have already made a pretty long list of some ( not all) trivial concerns. I have compared to India as I see you're from Mumbai - not to knock India but I suggest you come over here for a couple of weeks and check it out. Anyone seriously considering relocating would do that!
Again it is a matter of opinion - what I may find trivial you may find more serious and vice versa, but as someone who has considerable experience of India I was really surprised at your concerns!

I hope that helps! :)

Hello there. Namaste

I have just returned from Mumbai, I can assure you that you would be happy and like living in Mauritius.

Visiting Mumbai is not for the fainthearted. Despite the fact that I stayed in a 5 star hotel, 3 weeks on I still feel traumatised about what I witnessed.

Please just go to Mu with an open mind and find out for yourself. You will benefit from the experience

@916677

1) What do you mean by a milk supply problem? Skimmed and powdered milk is available everywhere on the island, in shops, supermarkets and other retail outlets. There are both local and foreign brands especially from New Zealand and Australia. Of course, it's not like in India where you get fresh milk from your neighbors' cows.

2) You can experience a power interruption like once in a month due to repair works or a network upgrade. As regarding mobile networks, due to the high density of mobile users, the network can get jammed for a couple of minutes or so, but no big deal.

3) Yes hawkers do overcharge foreigners, but no one in their right mind would pay a high price for a fake product being sold on the pavement. Like for everywhere else, you should be on your guard and use an iota of common sense. AS for taxi drivers, yeah, they tend to overcharge foreigners too, unfortunately.

4) Depends on where you will be staying. Some areas occasionally have water distribution problems and that's the trouble, the distribution not the quality.

5) At the peak of the summer season, the temp reaches a max of 32-34 C on the coastal regions and 28-30 C on the central plateau, I don't think this is any hotter than in India. And believe me, a hot day will not make your life 'miserable'! LOL

6) Yes some IRS/RES resorts are located in remote areas, but if you can splash over $500,000 for a luxury villa, I don't think buying a car will be much of a problem.

7) I don't know where you gather this information but there is no shortage of schools in Mauritius! The trouble is whether your child will adapt to the educational system here and the environment. There are also private schools for expats but you will have to dig into your pockets.

8) There are many other issues that will arise because you are moving to a different country, to a new environment and setting...but you will have to make the efforts to adapt to your new life. That's the whole purpose of an immigration.

@Gurj, Kaviraj & Chandraw,
Many thanks to you.

I forgot these 2 points will be happy:) if you can comment:
1. Road side romeo and eve teasing :
2. Are there good number of vegetarians & Cremation facility.
3. Do people respect your personal privacy and personal matters or they are bothering and constantly interfering in your personal matters? In my home country people have a bad habit of "putting their legs in  others pants"----interfering in others matters. In US many of my friend opined that you live as you want without anyone bothering you. So, how the condition here.

@Gurj,Kaviraj and Chandraw
My sincere apologies if I m indulging too much

@Kaviraj,
Milk problem:
In Mumbai, we have whole milk available which is pasteurized. This milk is sourced by the company from farmers in near by villages, processed and packed in plastic bag.

gokulmilk.coop/prod_milk.html

I think you are going overboard with some questions.

1) There are characteristics in relation to some people, not the society as a whole like it is in India.

2) Mauritius is not really a veggie nation.

3) Seriously, as a foreigner, who do you think will meddle in your personal matters?!

I agree with Kaviraj G about going overboard and that was initially the point I was trying to make. Please consider that the depth of your questions is reflecting a mindset that may not be  adaptable to living abroad.

Have confidence that there are many expats living here (from "non meddling" countries like UK and USA!)  quite happily or at least adapting and trying to accept the limitations of Mauritius. It may be interesting for you to read the forum/blogs on India and see how expats there are coping and the hurdles they face. :D

Have you travelled anywhere? Have you experienced any other cultures or countries? - I assure you there is good and bad in all! I'm not trying to cause any conflict here...just discussing!

Oh and there is loads of Indians here and loads of veggie options - although you are missing out on the seafood and tandoori chicken!;)

I would recommend this book:
Culture Shock! Mauritius, Roseline NgCheong-Lum

It can be helpful.