Where can you rent a car without a driver?

Does anyone know a company that just rents the car without renting the driver?

??????????no

Yes!
But only for Vietnamese had car license (Not for foreigner).!

Hoang Nguyen wrote:

Yes!
But only for Vietnamese had car license (Not for foreigner).!

Wrong!  I have both an A1 (motorbike under 175cc) and a B1 (automobile under 9 passengers, pick-up truck under 3,500 kg) VIETNAMESE driver's license. 

I got the B1 by submitting my USA Driver's License and the authorities granted me a comparable one (just pay the fee, no tests).  Once I got my B1, I went to apply for my A1.  I did not have to take the Vietnamese-language written test because they assume everyone that already has a driver's license knows the rules of the road.  Therefore, to get my A1, I just had to do the "figure 8" driving test on my motorbike.  (So here's a tip for any Expats looking to get a motorbike license and are afraid of the Vietnamese language written test.)

So where can I rent a car without having to rent the person/driver that comes with it?

Did you try Avis?

they have Avis in Vietnam? If so that would be awesome because my credit card allows me discounts with Avis. I just need to convert my drivers and motorcycle license to Vietnamese license and I'm good to go.

cheeha wrote:

Did you try Avis?

Not yet.  For some reason Avis in Vietnam sticks in my mind as recently stopping a service.  I thought I had read a newspaper article about them...something about stopping a service, might have been not allowing people to rent a car without a driver....lemme research some more. 

Thanks for the tip.

Are you looking for 4 or 7 passenger? How long and what's your budget? I was able to rent mine without a driver.

A mate of mine rented a Getz for 800,000 per day and drove it himself from Vung Tau to Dalat and back.

colinoscapee wrote:

A mate of mine rented a Getz for 800,000 per day and drove it himself from Vung Tau to Dalat and back.

That's the type of scenario I'm looking at. 

http://avtoracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hyundai-getz-300x200.jpg

He rent it in Vũng Tàu?  You remember the company name/address?  800,000 VND / day is comparable to US rental rates $40/day so that sounds right.

JVo18 wrote:

Are you looking for 4 or 7 passenger? How long and what's your budget? I was able to rent mine without a driver.

Not a long term deal as I like to use my motorbike.  A car is just to protect myself from crazy bus drivers and truck drivers on the narrow parts of the national highways. 

Where'd you rent yours?

Give me your first name and I will send you a PM after I ask him

If you have not found, pls pm me, I have been dealing with a very nice car-rental company on behalf of my former boss (my boss is an expat). They provide very good services with very good price - I think - in both Vung Tau and HCMC!

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
JVo18 wrote:

Not a long term deal as I like to use my motorbike.  A car is just to protect myself from crazy bus drivers and truck drivers on the narrow parts of the national highways. 

Where'd you rent yours?

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to rent long term. I rent mine from a small company (if you even wanna call it that as there's only around 4 cars in his fleet).

I have a personal driver (as opposed to the ones that come with the car), so I requested  no driver and they obliged.

It was possible to rent without any driver at all as long as I had a Vietnamese drivers license, which I don't, but to be honest I have no desire to drive in this chaos. The company I rent from does not do short term rentals, however. I believe 6 months is the minimum.

Jerry

Minimum 6 months?
Troi oi!
Better buy one second hand car :D

charmavietnam wrote:

Minimum 6 months?
Troi oi!
Better buy one second hand car :D

My company pays for it, so no need to spend my own money.

I get to trade in my car every 12 months for a new one, should I choose to, no charge. Also, any car expenses (i.e oil change, flat tires etc.. is all covered and free of charge)

Sometimes it's much more convenient to lease rather than buy

:D

JVo18 wrote:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to rent long term. I rent mine from a small company (if you even wanna call it that as there's only around 4 cars in his fleet).

I have a personal driver (as opposed to the ones that come with the car), so I requested  no driver and they obliged.

It was possible to rent without any driver at all as long as I had a Vietnamese drivers license, which I don't, but to be honest I have no desire to drive in this chaos. The company I rent from does not do short term rentals, however. I believe 6 months is the minimum.

Jerry

No problem Jerry; it's still good info for any expats on business for long term.  Driving in the Big City via automobile is a big pain.  Motorbike is better since you can just drive on the sidewalks to get past traffic jam (Hey, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.). 

In your profile it says you work as a Director for a manufacturing company in Bình Dương province, but you live in the Big City?  Why doesn't your company rent you a place in Bình Dương province closer to your place of work?  You won't have to deal with the crazy traffic of the Big City.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
JVo18 wrote:

Jerry

No problem Jerry; it's still good info for any expats on business for long term.  Driving in the Big City via automobile is a big pain.  Motorbike is better since you can just drive on the sidewalks to get past traffic jam (Hey, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.). 

In your profile it says you work as a Director for a manufacturing company in Bình Dương province, but you live in the Big City?  Why doesn't your company rent you a place in Bình Dương province closer to your place of work?  You won't have to deal with the crazy traffic of the Big City.

The company actually allows me to have two places. I have a house that's right next to my company, so during the week I stay there, and have a small studio in D1 for when I have meetings with clients and customers during the week. I also generally spend my weekends in d1. I work in Binh Duong, but it is VERY far out. I'm actually closer to the next town over. It takes me about 90 minutes to get to d1 with minimum traffic by car. During rush hour it's well over 2 hours. I'm about 20 minutes past Du Lich Dai Nam, if you know where that is and about 50 minutes past VSIP which is a very big industrial park located centrally in BD. Alot of guys I know live in Sai Gon and work around VSIP, and are able to commute everyday because its around 45 minutes give or take. But I don't really have the luxury because I'm so much farther out. When my boss first set up here I was gonna live in PMH but we drove from PMH to my company to see how long it would take and it was an hour and 50 minutes with average traffic. I couldn't see myself spending 4 hours a day in a car even if someone else was driving me. I was on the road a lot while back in America for work, averaging 1000 miles a week for the last 2 years, so I wanted to stay away from that. Still I would like to live in PMH because where I live now is like the boonies. All you see is tumbleweed rolling around and the sound of wind. At 6 pm when the other companies close, it's a complete ghost town.

How bout you? What do you do here and what part of the states are you from?

JVo18 wrote:

....I'm about 20 minutes past Du Lich Dai Nam, if you know where that is and about 50 minutes past VSIP which is a very big industrial park located centrally in BD. Alot of guys I know live in Sai Gon and work around VSIP, and are able to commute everyday because its around 45 minutes give or take. ... At 6 pm when the other companies close, it's a complete ghost town.

How bout you? What do you do here and what part of the states are you from?

I know Khu du lịch Đại Nam (translated as Great Vietnam Tourist Area or Great Southern Tourist Area....whatever, it's the Disneyland of Việt Nam).  I also know Vietnam Singapore Industrial Park too.  One of the first things I did when I came in country was bought myself a motorbike.  I've been all over the place.  Sometimes I pass by a place and it doesn't register, like VSIP, until someone brings it up. 

I'll Private Message you in response to your question.

[moderated: no free ads please]

Avis is avaible in vietnam but for shop only. :D. If you have Vietnam's license, try to contact with vietnamairportransfer.com

hwanghuydo wrote:

Avis is avaible in vietnam but for shop only. :D. If you have Vietnam's license, try to contact with vietnamairportransfer.com

What does "but for shop only" mean?  Meaning I gotta buy a car?

I tried the website vietnamairportransfer.com but it doesn't work.

Ahhh... i am sorry. miss sing "t" try this vietnamairporttransfer.com
I mean Avis talk they are in Vietnam. But when you hire a car from avis. they will ask for another providers for the cars.

hwanghuydo wrote:

Ahhh... i am sorry. miss sing "t" try this vietnamairporttransfer.com
I mean Avis talk they are in Vietnam. But when you hire a car from avis. they will ask for another providers for the cars.

Ok, I tried the website (it needs an English proofreader badly) and it doesn't go into any details about renting a car without a driver.  Most rental places will always rent out their cars with a driver.

I think it's easy to hire a car if you have a Vietnam driver license in big city. I am not sure in Vung Tau.

hwanghuydo wrote:

I think it's easy to hire a car if you have a Vietnam driver license in big city. I am not sure in Vung Tau.

Yah it's also easy if you're a Vietnamese citizen with the red residential book...since if you run off to Cambodia with their car, they can seize your house as compensation.  But for foreigners...I think it's a little different deal.

If you know where in the Big City, let me know.

People who has red residential book surely posses house?
I doubt that :D I know many people just make book with some address and live other places!

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Yah it's also easy if you're a Vietnamese citizen with the red residential book...since if you run off to Cambodia with their car, they can seize your house as compensation.

charmavietnam wrote:

I doubt that :D I know many people just make book with some address and live other places!

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Yah it's also easy if you're a Vietnamese citizen with the red residential book...since if you run off to Cambodia with their car, they can seize your house as compensation.

Dunno.  I saw someone actually advertising via power/telephone pole that they have cars for rent without a driver but when I asked, they wanted a red book.  It's probably a way for the company to find you or shake your family for compensation in case you take off to Cambodia with their car.

There was actually a story of a guy who worked as a driver for his boss.  One day he just disappeared with the car.  The guy ran to Cambodia to pay his bookies back with the stolen car.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Dunno.  I saw someone actually advertising via power/telephone pole that they have cars for rent without a driver but when I asked, they wanted a red book.  It's probably a way for the company to find you or shake your family for compensation in case you take off to Cambodia with their car.

There was actually a story of a guy who worked as a driver for his boss.  One day he just disappeared with the car.  The guy ran to Cambodia to pay his bookies back with the stolen car.

The red book = the land use rights certificate?!? That's what you meant?

No. Family Registration Book (Sổ Hộ Khẩu ) :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

charmavietnam wrote:

No. Family Registration Book (Sổ Hộ Khẩu ) :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

Ahhh, my bad, just logical: a car -> a land -> a house :lol::lol::lol:

How many beer finished?

aibiet150204 wrote:

charmavietnam wrote:

How many beer finished?

aibiet150204 wrote:

Hehe. I knew it. You just sat next to me on that table! I thought you counted the empty glass?!? :lol::lol::lol:

Excellent work :D

aibiet150204 wrote:

Hehe. I knew it. You just sat next to me on that table! I thought you counted the empty glass?!? :lol::lol::lol:

Of course you have to give them something to ensure you dont disappear with their car .:D
I found this website. Try to contacct with them. I ur name is Vietname so i think you could speak Vietnamese fluency

Im an American and i have a viet car. Motorbike and up to a 9 passenger truck license . Having said that. If you rent a car without a driver youre a fool. They will target you for scams and the driver is for keeping your butt out of trouble. God forbid you hit someone even if its their fault.