NI Number and registering with a doctor

Hi All,

A frind of mine who has been in Malta for the last couple of weeks is asking for you help.

Quote..

I was wondering if you could do me a favour and check in with you buddies that are here in Malta and are self-employed and find out how they obtained a National Insurance Number and how much you pay in each month please.

I am lost with this and not having much time to research with work and commuting.  I cannot find out where to register Macey and I, plus there is no clinics in Marsaskala and so far I have not seen any doctors offices.  I know the doctor goes to the chemist a few days a week but the hours do not work for Macey and I and I am assuming that we have to be registered first.

She is currently residing in Marsaskala and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Ken

Hi, for a private doctor you do not need to be registered but most private doctors will do the same hours, a morning session and an afternoon session.

coxf0001 wrote:

Hi, for a private doctor you do not need to be registered but most private doctors will do the same hours, a morning session and an afternoon session.

Thanks for the speedy responce and info.

Ken I'm not sure but I dont think they have doctors as such like us in uk that u join a particular surgery, there are poly clinic that she can go to if Masie or her need to see a doc I know she mentions the doc at chemist and if its the same one as that has been there for years he use to go out to my auntie In marsascala and it wasent expensive.

They will need the e-residency card to use the poly clinics and show that you are entitled. Others on the forum will have the info on entitlement.

doctors are easily accessed at the pharmacist and the fee is usually between 7e and 15e depending on the doctor. we tend to use them more as we cant be bothered sitting in mater dei all day.. and the clinics we tried 5yrs ago didnt seem to be interested in our back dated history records which we got form our docs in Uk £15 each they were, and not one doctor has ever asked nor wanted to see them!!!!!!

coxf0001 wrote:

They will need the e-residency card to use the poly clinics and show that you are entitled. Others on the forum will have the info on entitlement.

You can use a poly clinic with a valid EHIC card, mine was accepted without question when we first arrived and were considered as tourists.

We have used the Health Centre in Rabat, Gozo. We have our Entitlement Certificate but I am sure one can get by with an EHIC, especially during the first 90 days of arrival. I was given a prescription and both of us given letters for appointments at the Hospital for Sched 5 assessments/procedures. (Free medication for chronic conditions.) The other option, which we chose not to use was to see a doctor privately and there are 3 in our village. NB. Not all pharmacies have visiting doctors. Unless on Sched 5 'yellow card' all medication to be paid for.

Thanks Redmik,

The problem with my friends circumstances is that she is self employed working as a contractor and has a 3 year old daughter and both need medication as have both have nearly finished the one's they already have.

Although she know's she can go private if she wants I believe she is looking for an NHS approach like the UK.

Regards

Ken