Hanoi, Vietnam - Looking for an American who can help my English !!

Hi guys !

I'm new and the reason that brought me here is :

I am a vocal student in Vietnam national academy of Music in Hanoi, Vietnam. I love English and I've been learning it since I was a child. But it's really hard to speak and talk like a real American , and I wanna learn how to do that. Also, most of my music stuffs that I've been doing require those skills and I need someone who can really check my pronunciation. So I'm really in the need of being able to speak, talk and listen as though English is my mother tongue . In return, I'll teach you Vietnamese and the cultures of my country, all the thing that you wanna learn about Vietnam.

Hey, I love being happy, singing, playing and I'm funny and young too ( I'm 19 yo boy ) :) !! So if you're young ( It doesn't matter how old you are ^^ ) , funny, love being happy, love art,music, SINGING ESPECIALLY ,making friend and wanna know more about my beautiful country, especially my home city - Hanoi,Vietnam and you are CURRENTLY IN HANOI then why don't you just reply this and we'll make a deal ;)  I'm really serious and lookìn forward to hearing from you xoxoxo !!

Dattie.

Hi Dattie!
I'm Thu, Vietnamese girl. I think we can practice English together :)

not many local ppl can speak as well as american , u know... anyway , we can chat when free , add my skype killerdragonthreestars

Hey thank you for your hospitality, Thu ! Can you speak and talk like an American ?

Khuyen nguyen wrote:

not many local ppl can speak as well as american , u know... anyway , we can chat when free , add my skype killerdragonthreestars

Yeah ! That's true but luckily, it's "not many"  not "there's no"   :P  And I am trying...
Yeah and we can chat on Skype too :)

thevoicesofheartie wrote:

Hi guys !

I am a vocal student in Vietnam national academy of Music in Hanoi, Vietnam. I love English and I've been learning it since I was a child. But it's really hard to speak and talk like a real American , and I wanna learn how to do that. Also, most of my music stuffs that I've been doing require those skills and I need someone who can really check my pronunciation. So I'm really in the need of being able to speak, talk and listen as though English is my mother tongue . In return, I'll teach you Vietnamese and the cultures of my country, all the thing that you wanna learn about Vietnam.

Hey, I love being happy, singing, playing and I'm funny and young too ( I'm 19 yo boy ) :) !! So if you're young ( It doesn't matter how old you are ^^ ) , funny, love being happy, love art,music, SINGING ESPECIALLY ,making friend and wanna know more about my beautiful country, especially my home city - Hanoi,Vietnam and you are CURRENTLY IN HANOI then why don't you just reply this and we'll make a deal ;)  I'm really serious and lookìn forward to hearing from you xoxoxo !!

Dattie.

No luck yet eh?  After reading your post, I wouldn't mind helping you, except I'm on the other end of the country.  Just a few thoughts however:

Some singers don't have a good American speaking accent but they mask it very well when they sing.  A great example is Celine Dion.  She's French Canadian and when she speaks English, you can hear the French accent.  However, in her songs, you can't hear it and she sounds just like an American singing.

Here's the Wiki on that singer written in Vietnamese if you don't know who she is:
http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9line_Dion

You might focus on getting a Native American (or Canadian since they also speak American English more so than the Queen's English - what the Brits/Irish/Scots/Aussies/Indians speak though not all the same within that language group) to listen to your singing and give you some corrective suggestions.  You can probably do this by uploading Youtube videos if you can't find a tutor living in Hà Nội.

Other than that, here are two quick American English cultural tips:

Don't go around calling yourself a "19 year old boy".  After you turn 18, you're considered a "man" and should act like one.  Otherwise, people just think you're immature.

Who taught you to write "xoxoxo" in your signature farewell sendoff?  That means "hugs and kisses" and only chicks write that crap; Guys say "peace out" or "later".

"Who taught you to write "xoxoxo" in your signature farewell sendoff?  That means "hugs and kisses" and only chicks write that crap; Guys say "peace out" or "later"."

Lol, good adivce tho

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Hi guys !

Dattie.

No luck yet eh?  After reading your post, I wouldn't mind helping you, except I'm on the other end of the country.  Just a few thoughts however:

Some singers don't have a good American speaking accent but they mask it very well when they sing.  A great example is Celine Dion.  She's French Canadian and when she speaks English, you can hear the French accent.  However, in her songs, you can't hear it and she sounds just like an American singing.

Here's the Wiki on that singer written in Vietnamese if you don't know who she is:
http://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9line_Dion

You might focus on getting a Native American (or Canadian since they also speak American English more so than the Queen's English - what the Brits/Irish/Scots/Aussies/Indians speak though not all the same within that language group) to listen to your singing and give you some corrective suggestions.  You can probably do this by uploading Youtube videos if you can't find a tutor living in Hà Nội.

Other than that, here are two quick American English cultural tips:

Don't go around calling yourself a "19 year old boy".  After you turn 18, you're considered a "man" and should act like one.  Otherwise, people just think you're immature.

Who taught you to write "xoxoxo" in your signature farewell sendoff?  That means "hugs and kisses" and only chicks write that crap; Guys say "peace out" or "later".

Haha ! Wow that's totally new for me ! I will stop that " xoxo "  lol .... I didn't know that. Thank you !!   

I do know Celine and I love her ! She's one of my idols. And when singing, I feel I sound more American than when talking, but what I want is Talking, listening and singing exactly like an American . That's my goal... I'm ambitious.  And still looking for someone who can help seriously.

Haha ! Wow that's totally new for me ! I will stop that " xoxo "  lol .... I didn't know that. Thank you !!   

I do know Celine and I love her ! She's one of my idols. And when singing, I feel I sound more American than when talking, but what I want is Talking, listening and singing exactly like an American . That's my goal... I'm ambitious.  And still looking for someone who can help seriously.

Well, in that case, go pester your parents to send you to study in America.  You cannot talk, listen, sing exactly like an American if you haven't been to America.  There is not ONE American. 

But if you do go, go for the West Coast (Washington, Oregon or California).  To me, that's a more neutral dialect.  Texas and the southwest has it's western cowboy drawl.  The South has it's Southern belle twang, Louisiana has the French influence and the Northeast has it's mix of European influence so you hear English with heavy mix of Italian.  The Midwest has influences from German and Norwegian languages.

Just to give you an idea...here's a cool graphics that breaks up the major "dialects" of American English.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/index_collection/AmericanEnglishDialects.png

Minus Canada, it appears there are 7 major American English dialects.  If you have all the time in the world, you can watch the Youtube videos to hear how each of the 7 major areas speak American English....all 888 videos.  :o

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#AudioFilesOfLocalDialects

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Well, in that case, go pester your parents to send you to study in America.  You cannot talk, listen, sing exactly like an American if you haven't been to America.  There is not ONE American. 

But if you do go, go for the West Coast (Washington, Oregon or California).  To me, that's a more neutral dialect.  Texas and the southwest has it's western cowboy drawl.  The South has it's Southern belle twang, Louisiana has the French influence and the Northeast has it's mix of European influence so you hear English with heavy mix of Italian.  The Midwest has influences from German and Norwegian languages.

Just to give you an idea...here's a cool graphics that breaks up the major "dialects" of American English.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/index_collect … alects.png

Minus Canada, it appears there are 7 major American English dialects.  If you have all the time in the world, you can watch the Youtube videos to hear how each of the 7 major areas speak American English....all 888 videos.  :o

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/#AudioFilesOfLocalDialects

Oh that graphic's gonna help :) many thanks :)