GO OUT FOR DINNER WITH FOREIGN BOSS

Have you ever invited your foreign manager to go out for dinner or beer after work? Is that ok for officers ,especially women, and boss having dinner together ? What do you think about this ?or Do you agree or disagree ?

It depends............
It can be good depending on the situation, your relationship (work wise), your intentions...., blah blah blah.
LOL

To go with your boss for dine out is not a new thing and fishy if your colleagues also invited :D
If he/she invited just you only sure there is some 'special' reason!
If you are adult, I think you don't need an expert opinion in this situation. You are able to differentiate what is good for you!

It depends, no hard and fast rule. Did your boss invite you, alone or did you invite the boss ? Two different scenarios, two different interpretations. If you both already have families, then the plot thickens even more!

If you are female and your boss is male, it may be a little odd to invite him for dinner or drinks (especially if he is married). If you would like to build your professional relationship with him after-hours, there are a few ways to do it. If you are both married, the easiest way is to invite him and his wife to eat dinner with you and your husband (or boyfriend if you have one). Due to the professional nature of your relationship and the boss being of the opposite sex, it may be taken the wrong way if you ask him to go out one-on-one. If it were me and my boss was female, the only way I would ask her to socialize after work would be if there were other people there, preferably my wife and my boss' husband.

As far as I know, there isn't an issue that an employer and employee, especially those of opposite sexes, can legitimately do or say to one another after hours, that they cannot get done during working hours.

Vietnamese are very friendly people.  But, this is where I find many of them cross the fine line of inappropriateness.

On the other hand, if your western employer approaches you that way, it is best that you not go.  Better yet, it is better that you find another employer, someone with better protocols.

VLS: We are all self-centered and its good to search your heart/ conscience why are you needing to think of such an invitation, in the first place. What is your purpose in doing that? You asked a broad question and many will agree or disagree, depending on the cultural inclinations. In Japan, collectivism is practiced and many male employees drink after work hours with their superiors till the wee hours. But as a female in an Asian culture, it's not prudent to try to develop any further single relationship with your superiors other than a professional one, during work hours only, lest that be misinterpreted!

Lunch is okay... dinner alone may be awkward. I can only see dinner would be okay if you both are working late, he offers but at some place not fancy at all.

Generally, it's not a big deal. However, single female and male foreign boss alone, this might be calling for trouble....

cth wrote:

It depends............
It can be good depending on the situation, your relationship (work wise), your intentions...., blah blah blah.
LOL

I like your "blah blah blah" lololol

I see nothing wrong if we only go out for a meal. I used to do that with my boss, my coworker after work. We got nice dinner, great conversation that we maybe could not talk at company since we are too busy with job. So go out for dinner (not drink too much), nice talk, show something interesting from Vietnam. That is great too.
But it depends on you and your boss. How is your boss personality? Only you can answer yourself that he is trustable to go with :)
Wish you enjoy!

Its lucky for VLS that she/he was in simple situation like that working with expat boss. I had an annoyed one which i was grieved to say goodbye to my huge contract of more 1 billion VNĐ due to my boss's decline of not paying commission to our company's client. He didnt know that kind of commission is practice in Asian in general and Vietnam in particular.

Your ex-boss was someone with integrity or he was simply a religious person. He refused to follow evil ways of the worldly system. He firmly believed that Truth will honour him for what he did, with greater rewards than earthly things. However, those who are 'blind' will not see this.

Depends on the situation. I have had many friendly coffee and lunch meetings with people. As a male, even an old one.  When I ask someone out for dinner, I am thinking more than as a coworker or friend.  Usually I am hoping for a more carnal knowledge event.  Just being honest....

Co-worker is ok, boss is different. In a strong company hierarchy you might not even see your (big) boss ever in person.

If one is a real boss, after work, s/he has far better things to do than going out with an employee of the opposite sex.

Sploke77 wrote:

Your ex-boss was someone with integrity or he was simply a religious person. He refused to follow evil ways of the worldly system. He firmly believed that Truth will honour him for what he did, with greater rewards than earthly things. However, those who are 'blind' will not see this.

:lol: