Considering to have a baby in Colombia

Hello Thank you so much for updates and great info! Any new updates. My husband and I are both from US but have considered having a baby in Colombia. How long did it take to get US passport for your baby? any other advice feedback? and what hospital /city was baby born. Thank you and congrats

Hi cristy2408,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I have created a new thread as from you post on the Colombian Forum for more interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Cristy,

Getting the US Passport was easy. We just needed to fill out the paperwork and bring a notirized copy of the birth certificate (long form), some pictures along with my proof of US citizenship and the citizenship and passport was both approved. We also received his social security and US birth certificate as well. You will have to go into the Embasy to finalize all the paperwork.

The Embasy did mix up the birthdates and names so we had to send the passport and birth certificate back (they had my birthdate as 02/16/2006). But they redid everything correctly and in time for our vacation back to the USA.

Getting his Colombian passport and citizenship was easy because his mom is Colombian.

My son was born in Manizales, Caldas at Caldas Hospital. We paid out of pocket, I think the total cash discount price was 1.8 million. That was for the premium hospital service (private rooms, being allowed to be in the room for the birth and stay win my son every moment from birth until we left.

Be sure to interview your hospitals and find out what doctor(s) will be on hand to deliver your child. Have them walk you through all the procedures. Also if you need an interpreter be sure to tell them to have one there for you for the birth (it might cost extra).

All in all we had a very good experience.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask.