Moving next month to izmir

Dear all,

I'm currently working in Bodrum and I finish end of September.  I am planning to move to izmir and stay till I find a job.  I need to apply for residence but I need to know a couple of things:

- how much shall I have per month in my bank account in order to take the residence?
- what's a good safe place for a girl to live alone yet cheap and around how much the rent might be?
- what is the process for a foreigner to rent a house?

Thank you in advance :))

Well its gonna be a long and hard process to find a job in izmir... Istanbul might have been better option for u

Thanks for your reply.  But istanbul will be soooo expensive that's why I chose izmir.

Hi Nansie!

i believe izmir will be the good choice to live and enjoy for a relatively small budget.
there is nothing special in the rent procedure for a foreigner. No documents necessary. But it may be hard to convince the owner of the place to rent to a foreigner.
I will recommend Bornova, Karsiyaka or Alsancak to live. These three places have access to subway, train and boats/ferries. In Bornova, there is a university and so many young people and many places for young people. Both food and accomodation will be relatively cheaper. Karsiyaka is by the seaside, so i like the better. But it is the old part of the city with narrow roads and old style markets. Still easy to find economic food and place. You will most probably rent an apartment, there are not many houses and they are expensive. Alsancak is the center of night life and very close to downtown. It is by the sea also and many foreigners live in Alsancak. But also the most expensive.
Speaking with numbers, the smallest flat you can rent in Izmir will be 75-80 m2, and if you are luck enough 55 m2.  The rent will be 500, 600 and 700 TL in Bornova, Karsiyaka and Alsancak, respectively. This is the best place prices and it will go down for 10-15%. And if you plan to have a car, then the place will definetely be Bornova. No parking places in other two towns. Also your rent may go down to 300 -350TL if you live like 5 km outside the center and have a car.
And you may have food for 10 TL per day if you cook or 20 TL per day for three meals.

Best wishes,
Yalın

Hi. Ii would move to the Balçova distrivt, cause it's close to everything and you might feel saver there then if you move far out.

I'd like to know, what kind of job did you have in Bodrum?

Cheers Willem.