Indonesian food cooking club/ group. Interested?

Princess18, scroll up page 2 of this thread and find Sophie Fisher and send her a message.

Anyone who makes a good sambal is welcome, especially if it is the green one from Padang :)

Annie's username is Sophie Fisher,

So what's the theme for this cooking class? Is it Padang food festival? Then am in it as am originally from west sumatera too :-D

Open to suggestions of course, could be a rotating theme :)

Sumatra food festival sounds good, though I wanted someone to teach me to make Pempek :(

I'd settle for green sambal and Rendeng... :D

S

Isn't Ichaa from South Sumatera ?, where the pempeks come from ? maybe she can teach you ?  :D

DWSA wrote:

Isn't Ichaa from South Sumatera ?, where the pempeks come from ? maybe she can teach you ?  :D

Yay (Y)!

Sam, still got space? if yes then im in :)

Sam,
It takes hours to make pempek especially to grind (roll) the dough manually. I've tried myself 3x, but seems still far from expected :D

If anyone here can help, I will happy to learn also - especially to make it faster.

Any sambal always good for me! :)

wid wrote:

Sam,
It takes hours to make pempek especially to grind (roll) the dough manually. I've tried myself 3x, but seems still far from expected :D

If anyone here can help, I will happy to learn also - especially to make it faster.

Any sambal always good for me! :)

I know it's not really Indonesian, but I can show you how to make bread at the same time, it's not much work, but there is lots of waiting involved.... Time to do other stuff

misskhouw wrote:

Sam, still got space? if yes then im in :)

Please PM Annie :)

guys, are we sure we want to start this cooking fun thing with something as complicated as pempek? :D

I am afraid we will end up with salad.

But, whatever you guys decide to cook, Im in ;)

Guys, Im pretty ill with stomach bug right now. Please contact Sam for the event.
Hopefully I will get better soon. Hospital scheduled for tomorrow.

See you all soon.

Annie

Ohhh no, hope nothing serious annie, get well real soon !

Ok, I am doing much better than the past three days. Sorry for the late replies to your PMs guys.

I will want to talk about it on the WA group which I already left (Sam, please put me in again :-) ) we will divide the ppl into a few groups and each will help each other on making the dishes. One or two dishes each group, that way everyone is doing their part.
And since the space is limited too, I think its best to close the "registration" for this month.
Everyone here will be contacted ASAP for details :-)

Thank you for the participation :-)

when is the next event? I perhaps can host (have a 1-bedroom) for a smaller dinner party!

Why would you host a dinner party in your bedroom? sounds suggestive and I am pretty certain all the ladies on here will refuse you and maybe all the men too....

excinit wrote:

when is the next event? I perhaps can host (have a 1-bedroom) for a smaller dinner party!

excinit,

This is a cooking club so we need a decent size of kitchen.
The next event will be informed here. Thank you for the offer.

Sophie Fisher wrote:
excinit wrote:

excinit,

This is a cooking club so we need a decent size of kitchen.
The next event will be informed here. Thank you for the offer.

Sophie,
how about in 29th October?
I will be in Jakarta that time until 31 October

sorry, i mean 1 bedroom apartment - with a small kitchen.

I can make you any kind of Coffee
Latte, Espresso, Cappuccino, Americano, Etc

Pangki Sudirjo wrote:

Sophie,
how about in 29th October?
I will be in Jakarta that time until 31 October

Hi Pangki,

We have already decided the date and already closed the registration. Sorry!
Hopefully you can join next time!
You can initiate a gathering by creating a new thread on the forum! Im sure people would be happy to come :-)

when it's running?

Pangki Sudirjo wrote:

when it's running?

Havent decided a date for next event, but this month will be on 26th.

I have posted a blog with my question, but maybe you could help me also.  I have a new friend who has moved to the U.S. from Jakarta.  I would like to give them a basket with spices that she cannot find here, for her cooking.  Could you give me a list of spices that she would use for cooking in Jakarta?   I know I can order them online, if I know what to order.  She also mentioned a sweetener that she bought in a square piece.  Was it pineapple sugar?   Thank you so much.     Judy

Galangal/Kencur
Kaffir lime leaves
Lemon grass
Ginger
Gresh tumeric
Tamarind
Dried shrimp paste
Chillies

Are the ones that spring to mind

Also Indonesian palm sugar /Gula merah

I'm sure others can chip.in on this...

Hi there Judy,

Here are a list of Indonesian spices that I can remember

- Ginger ( Jahe)
- Star Anise (adas manis)
- Kaempferia galangal/ aromatic ginger (Kencur)
- Tumeric ( Kunyit)
- Candlenuts (Kemiri)
- Cordamom (kapulaga)
- coriander seeds ( ketumbar)
- Cloves (cengkeh)
- Cinnamon ( Kayu manis)
- Tamarind (asam )
- Galanggal ( lengkuas)

as for the sugar, I am not sure if its Palm sugar/Javanese sugar or something else since you said its square piece. Indonesian palm sugar is actually always made to round shape (like bamboo). it could also be Rock sugar (Gula batu).
But we do  use a lot of palm sugar here for our cooking :)
hope it helps!

Annie

Thank you so much for you help in identifying Indonesian spices for me.  I have found a store in Goleta, California that sells many of these spices and plan to go there next week.  It is an Indo Chinese Market.  I hope to find the spices there.

eviej wrote:

Thank you so much for you help in identifying Indonesian spices for me.  I have found a store in Goleta, California that sells many of these spices and plan to go there next week.  It is an Indo Chinese Market.  I hope to find the spices there.

You are most welcome , enjoy shopping! :)

Annie