Public transport in Sicily

We are flying to Catania for a week and thought that rather than hire a car we'd use public transport to visit Syracuse and Taormina. Any comments/suggestions?

we went to catania last year - we didnt like it at all - too dirty graffiti and beggars all over the place.... but thats not to say the rest of sicily wont be nice... cant really vouch for public transport as we only used the bus service from airport to catania... you buy your tickets in shops and kiosks - the one we got fromthe book shop in airport was valid for one/two hrs (cant remember) from the minute you scan your ticket on the bus... theres no real interaction with the driver.

Thanks. Any information is valued.

Hi,

we had spent a week in Siracusa in March 2012. We flew to Catania and took a bus from the airport to Siracusa. There are frequent buses from Catania to Taormina or Siracusa and all of them have train stations as well.

i can vouch for two eateries though - one on the main street its a little cafeteria and does lovely food during the day... ideal for a snack - its on the right as you walk up the main street from the roman ruins towards Bellini gardens.

the other one is in a side street its a small sicilian eatery and its really cheap and the food was delicious. Trattoria da Nuccio  i think its called - its next to a bar called the interneteria bar in Via Penninello. highly recommended - we ate there every night and its proper Sicilian - they dont speak much english but we had great nights there

I booked the car for our friends via auto-europe.co.uk - no issues.

You can use railway to Taormina, but with the car you can see much more. And there are nice roads in Sicily, not like Maltese :)

Spiridonov wrote:

I booked the car for our friends via auto-europe.co.uk - no issues.

You can use railway to Taormina, but with the car you can see much more. And there are nice roads in Sicily, not like Maltese :)

Yep I'd tend to agree.

When I was stationed in Sardinia we often 'road tripped' to Malta (Ferry to Palermo.....cross Sicily.....then Pozzallo to Malta). We always took the time out on the return journey to spend 2-3 days in Sicily and having the car was a godsend. Easy to get around, no delays......really trouble free.  That's the way I'd do it.

Mike