Tips on where to live in Chennai

Hello!

I am moving to Chennai now in October. Me and my wife is going there on a pre-visit and look on where we can live and prosper :P. Unfortunately I have no idea on where I should go :/.

We will have access to a agent who will help us to find something, but it is always good to have information.

My work is located in Nandambakkam and my budget is around 100000 rupees a month. I would like to have access to good broadband connection (100 mbit is it possible?), diesel generators, AC-equipped etc see "Good living".

Thanks

Hello,

Welcome to India !!

I see you have mentioned Nandambakkam which is jus around 6 to 7kms from Airport. There are few things which you should about taking a house in Chennai. It all depends upon how far can you travel daily from your place to office. i would suggest area like Besant Nagar (Beach side) & Thoraipakkam where you can get gud deals with all the facilities you have asked for.

Good Day !!

Regards,

Irfan

Somewhere close.  Number one time waster here is commuting.  plan on 5min/km so that is the driving factor.  Adayar, Velecherry, Anna Nagar are all very nice.  Set that as your commuting limit.  There are some nice places around St Thomas Mount.

Be careful of the agents and anyone that claims to be working on your behalf.  Do not sign anything until you have seen several flats from several agents.  1 lakh is a fat budget and the commission is a years pay.  The bait and switch is common so do not believe the toilet for 50,000. 

100mbs????  Good luck, you are reading the connection speed to your router, not your internet speed.  The best home package you can get is 4mbs with a 30gb limit, after which you drop to 256kbs for the rest of the month.  If you use Skype a lot, get a bandwidth limiter that can scale back the usage, otherwise you will be done in 2 weeks.