Moving to Malta next week

Hello everyone!

My name's Marian and I'm moving to St. Julians next week with my girlfriend. We're both from Slovakia and we're planning to stay for at least a year. I'd like to know if private medical insurance is necessary during our stay in Malta. We both have the european insurance card but I've read somewhere that it's not enough to cover a potentional treatment in Malta.

If somekind of additional insurance is necessary, could anyone tell me the costs of a good coverage plan? (we're 27 and 25 and fairly healthy)

Thanks a lot.

Basic health care is free for EU members. And additional private insurance varies depending on the plan (edit: and provider) of course - but you should be able to get decent cover for around 500 EUR per year.

Hi Marian and welcome to the forum.

If you have been following the forum for a while you may have already seen that this subject has been covered quite a bit, so here is a start for you:

Link to info.....

Lots of other threads are here

.......and I am sure that you will have many more questions.

Good Luck

Mike

Hi Marian,

welcome to the forum.

to stay in Malta for longer than 3 months you have to register as being a resident (not a tourist).

And to be a resident you have to be able to support yourself and have health insurance coverage during your stay. The EHIC only covers you as long as you are tourist within the EU.

@ pgl Basic? health care is only free if you pay National Insurance contributions or transfer existing entitlement to health care from another EU country to Malta. As such it is not free.

The Reciprocal Health Agreement between the UK and Malta does not apply to citizens of other EU countries. That offers free basic health care to British passport holders but only to them!

Will you working in Malta Marian? If so, you will probably have insurance through your work and contributions.

Cheers
Ricky