A moment of silence for Wayne

A moment of silence for our fellow countryman(if you're American)/expat/teacher.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S3bjhfYpMg8/TEOxIIsZ4SI/AAAAAAAAB9w/hv73oClZGdU/s320/a+moment+of+silence.jpg

Mr. Wayne Madison, may you rest in peace. 

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/12970/us- … -minh-city

http://r.tuoitre.vn/i/s500/2013/09/BgRl8905.jpg

May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family.

Rest in Peace. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Our hearty condolences!!!
Dear expats! please be more careful if you use a small vehicle because big vehicle drivers are driving rash and negligently nowadays(am not sure exactly who's fault)!
THD! Thanks for sharing!

RIP

$2000 fine and time served is my prediction.  Of course we'll never know.

This happens every day, somewhere in Vietnam.  The majority of the truck drivers are barbaric, inept animals as are most of their taxi driving counterparts.

charmavietnam wrote:

Our hearty condolences!!!
Dear expats! please be more careful if you use a small vehicle because big vehicle drivers are driving rash and negligently nowadays(am not sure exactly who's fault)!
THD! Thanks for sharing!

There's a lot of people to blame.  The dispatchers and owners of the trucking companies are placing unrealistic delivery times on the drivers more than likely.  Then the drivers, fearing they'll lose their job if the delivery is late,proceed to break every law in the books.

Very sad news indeed. Many of these trucks are so overloaded they just cant stop. Seems the driver did the right thing going to police and not running off.

mmm ????? I used to be a truck driver!so many times cyclists and smaller vehicle users take such big risks? how did Wayne come to suffer like this? who was at fault? why was his bike in the middle of the road? my sincere condolences to all who knew him

Mark, comparing yourself to a Vietnamese truck driver is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't know you, never met you, but I'll guarantee that even on your worst day you're probably ten times the truck driver of any Vietnamese. This is why I do not ride my bicycle on roads travelled by these type of trucks. I'll take my chances riding in the motorbike lane. Mr. Madison met with a horrible fate - one that's crossed my mind many times as I ride my bike. My condolences to his loved ones.

Mark, I will bet the truck was cutting a corner and met with his death. I drive in the countryside a lot and trucks just push you off the road, they dont give a rats arse.

i am not wishing to discredit wayne, and yes I dont know VN truckies its just i have seen some horrific stuff here in perth and humans s are much the same every where, too much self interest

Well you need to come here and see how trucks,cars and buses operate. They will run over you if you get in their way, trucks and buses are especially dangerous as they have no regards for human life.Trying to compare Perth traffic to Viet Nam is like comparing a Holden Barina car to a Ferrai, just non compariable.

have you been to the reunification palace? check my photo, I know what you are talking about, I am not trying to defend the driver just want to know was anyone else there, i dont mean to upset people i didnt know Wayne he must have been a nice guy for so many to care

Thats ok, but living here and visiting here are two totally different things. Driving in this traffic each day you see how things really work.

my deepest condolences to Wayne's family and friend

very sad to know this news on newspaper. My wish Wanye in peace and deep condolences to his family and friend.

May he have everlasting life in eternity. GOD be with him. Amen.

Rest in peace, Mr. Wayne Madison.
Hope his family to overcome this tough time.

Either walk or get your a$$ in a car is the safest bet in this city.

Walking is also another dangerous thing to do, some streets you cant walk on the footpaths as they blocked by bikes, signs, eateries and so on. You have to leave the footpath and walk on the road, which then becomes dangerous due to motorbikes driving without any care for others. Viet Nam government has created all the traffic problems, they need to do something about it instead of just talk. Its a joke, they just talk, how hard is it to get out there and do something,problem is the cops are more interested in pulling over cars,trucks and buses as its a bigger payday. Money rules in Viet Nam and thats why the roads are a complete mess, I cant see things changing whilst you have incompetent people running a country.

You should change it into 'food path' !
Ward authorities get money from those guys who run business on street and footpath and allow them to do as they wish. I know many people doing these businesses 'permanently' for years and they make better income than people who take shops with high rent and deposit amount then sit all day waiting for a customer! Here money is power!

RIP

My Sincere Condolence from a fella cyclist to a fella cyclist!

What an awful tragedy. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

I have seen something like this more than once in my time here. Problematic road conditions and cultural habits combine to make road accidents the number 1 cause of death in Vietnam, if I remember correctly.

I agree with another poster here that walking is safer because my body is far more maneuverable than any vehicle. Walking here isn't as simple as walking in the western world and it can still be dangerous in the end, but it is and easy way to get around without all of the extra hassle of one more thing crowding the overstressed streets.

On the bright side, compared to my experiences in Thailand, traffic in Vietnam is slower and there are less cars and heavy vehicles.

I think the blatant disregards for road rules is the biggest problem in Viet Nam, that plus the fact the police dont do their jobs properly and just look for an easy buck.

colinoscapee wrote:

I think the blatant disregards for road rules is the biggest problem in Viet Nam, that plus the fact the police dont do their jobs properly and just look for an easy buck.

I dont get it with the local Police. They have never pulled me over. In fact, I get the impression they avoid eye contact. But 3 times when I am pillion with my Vietnamese wife riding, we have been pulled  over  without justification for a (fund raising) takedown.

sometimes I feel like Alice.

Wasn't there a survey done recently that says traffic cops in Vietnam are the most corrupt in the country?

There was one that got into hot water with the law and when they investigated him they found he had over 2 billion VND (100,000 USD)...in his bank account.  That in a country where median income is what.....200 bucks a month?

Like I said....I'd rather live somewhere centralized and just walk...safe and never spend a dime on those bastards.

The one I love is when the high ranking cops get caught, they are asked how did they afford a brand new car. The same answer is usually given, "my mother-in-law brought it for me".Mother- in-laws as far as I know in Viet Nam are not that generous,hahaha.

colinoscapee wrote:

The one I love is when the high ranking cops get caught, they are asked how did they afford a brand new car. The same answer is usually given, "my mother-in-law brought it for me".Mother- in-laws as far as I know in Viet Nam are not that generous,hahaha.

M-in-Law - black holes of cash :-)