District 12, Zugligeti ut Budapest

can anyone tell me what is around this area i will be staying?  Shopping, food, paper products, books?  Those are my major interests.

missustoad wrote:

can anyone tell me what is around this area i will be staying?  Shopping, food, paper products, books?  Those are my major interests.

There's not a lot there shops wise unfortunately. To get to civilisation (shops etc), you can go to Moscow Square (now called Szell Kalman Square) and the Mammoth shopping centre (it's not far, 10 minutes). From Moscow Square you can get the metro to other places.

For tourism, there's the chairlift and plenty of hills.

I assume you are not yet in Budapest?

My brother lives around there, so I have been there a few times, not saying, I 'know' the area tho.
It is not quite as bad as Fluffy writes, he just wants to scare you off, so he has more Hungary left for himself;))
What he meant to say is that Hũvösvölgy ('cool valley') is a somewhat upscale, very green area where folks just hop into their upper-middle class cars (those in a hurry take the bike or tram  as the only road may jam badly) to go shopping. Your street starts some 2.5 km (~1.5 miles) from Moszkva tér, but it is a long one and you didnt say where you live.

Locally, I guess there should be a few small shopping locations, mainly for groceries. However, you seem to be lucky as Budagyöngye ('Pearl of Buda') shopping mall may even be walking distance from you(depending on your location), it surely has bookshops as well.
http://goo.gl/maps/H3RhJ

Of course, for a vibrant cultural life with small bookshops and cafés, you need to come to my district, Újlipótváros... ;)
Moszkva tér (Renamed to its previous name by the will of the local Mínimo Líder) is a major hub in budapest, so you can reach Jászai Mari Tér(The gate to Újlipótváros;) via Tram4/6, or Deák Tér via red Metro in some 10 minutes. My brother uses the bike to commute between Moszkva and his home, if you do this, get a crappy bike with a good lock.

The more serious bottleneck may be, how easy it is to get a nice seection of english books, Im sure this forum has had this question a few times...

thank you for your help.  So far, I am slowly adjusting to life up the hill from Budagyongye Shopping Mall.  The tram line seems quite effective and I am not a creature that requires a limo. 

It is a bit cold -- do you know where I could buy a tiny space heater for when I get dressed in the morning?  I don't even know what a Space Heater is in Hungarian.  That would help!

I am trying to avoid turning on the entire heating system.  On these cold autumn days, just a few minutes of heat is enough for me to get dressed and out with life.

missustoad wrote:

It is a bit cold -- do you know where I could buy a tiny space heater for when I get dressed in the morning?  I don't even know what a Space Heater is in Hungarian.  That would help!

You can just go to Tesco, Media Markt or Auchan etc and get one. They have all the electrical goods on shelves and you can just pick one up.

Here's a selection at Mediamarkt:

hősugárzó

There's a MediaMarkt at Mammut (Moscow Square). BTW, I don't have a thing for MediaMarkt, I'd shop around as they are expensive for a lot of stuff.

Thank you, Fluffy.  MediaMarkt had them on sale. 

I also found some lovely Hungarian books in translation to keep me busy.

Call me up, I am also in heaterhunting configuration but in the III-rd district (Csúcshegy vicinity) 0670 577 6099 [email protected]