Working UK iPhone in China ???

I am having problems getting my iPhone to work here in Beijing!!

I am from the UK with a British iPhone and have had it unlocked. I have bought a China Unicom SIM card and it does not work, I just get No Service in the top corner.

I have tried a de-activation device, (which is a chip they place under the SIM) but that does not work & I was told I had to buy a new phone.

However when I took it to an electrical store a man tried his SIM card and it did work, I am not sure of his network.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I would REALLY appreciate any advice!?

Thanks in advance.

All the best.

Britt.

Go to china mobile and have them insert an existing sim card. Maybe from the clerk's phone. If it works then your  sim checked at the place of purchase. If they tell you it works fine. Then it may be your phone is incompatible with Unicom; it's China, anything is possible.

Kris...

Kris N wrote:

Go to china mobile and have them insert an existing sim card. Maybe from the clerk's phone. If it works then your  sim checked at the place of purchase. If they tell you it works fine. Then it may be your phone is incompatible with Unicom; it's China, anything is possible.

Kris...

Hi Kris.

Thank you so much!! I took a Chinese friend with me and tried a China Mobile SIM and it worked! Unfortunately it means I did waste 200RMB on China Unicom! But I am so happy to have a phone now so thanks very much!!

You are very right - Anything is possible in China!

Britt :)

britt_pearce wrote:
Kris N wrote:

Kris...

Hi Kris.

Thank you so much!! I took a Chinese friend with me and tried a China Mobile SIM and it worked! Unfortunately it means I did waste 200RMB on China Unicom! But I am so happy to have a phone now so thanks very much!!

You are very right - Anything is possible in China!

Britt :)

Happy to help :)