Corozal

Would love to learn more about Consejo Shores.  Can you help me?

What would you like to know about?
They have a website that gives layout/maps - prices on available rentals and homes and land for sale.
consejo.bz/consejo/lots.html
There are so many homes for sale here - so much to choose from. But is there anything specific that you want to know?

We bought property in Consejo Shores.  We are looking for people that live there that can share their experiences (positive and negative).  Hopefully, we made the right investment decision!!

Well - if you're looking for experiences - the road is flooded again.

This happens often!!  Can you still get through on the street?

We bought also and just started building last weekend.  Where are you from??

Nichi, I see u are considering a move to SI.

Our first stop on our investigation of Belize is SI - is there an expat community  besides Carmelita Gardens?  We are liking the thought of less bugs/jungle/cooler night temps.

I am looking for recommendations of an tax consultant also as we plan to spend part time in Canada and part time in Belize.

NIchi, there are old expressions that apply here, " come hell or high water, or If god willing & if the creek don't rise".    the consejo road is always an issue.

I'm from Cleveland, Ohio. We have a few years before we start building.  We will be visiting at the end of this year to bring in the NEW YEAR!!  Who is your builder?  How do you like it there so far?  Where are you staying during your build?  What do you think about the flooding of Consejo Rd?  I'll be quiet for now!!!

I'm not moving out of Consejo because of the flood waters.  I've posted some photo's of the roads here on the Facebook Belize Expat page. That is another issue for the 'reason homes don't sell' discussion - on another thread.

I've been in Consejo for +6 months now. I've been renting a house here. I've been following the advice of most long time expats, and that is, if you are looking for a long term home, then don't buy anything until you have spent a year here. There are many good reasons for this. (For those who don't know me,  I was also an expat in South Africa for more than a decade and spent a few more years north of south, have been a senior executive at  some large multi-nationals and now own a small business, so I do have a multitude of life experiences).

And while I am sure that there are those here that are going to love their new home in Consejo - it's just not for me.
I'm sure that I'm going to start another active discussion here( and or put a target on my back), and my opinion may be different for your experiences here:

I don't want to be living in an  expat community. I feel no need to come to this beautiful country and then separate myself from these wonderful people. Nor did I come here to live in a sterile environment.

This may be a bit of a generalization, but many of the people that I have met here in Consejo, just bring their North American ideals, politics and expectations here.
Much of the discussions sound like some of the gated community issues that I have at my home in Florida.  It seems to be a very Republican and somewhat racially prejudicial area, too much for my personal liking. As a Canadian, I prefer not to involve myself in American politics, and as a Canadian, I welcome diversity.
While I have met some very nice people in Consejo, and I will be the first to say that not everyone here is like that. There are other Canadians here too, I didn't come here solely to mingle with other Canadians or "like minded people" either. I could do that at home. Why sit in an American enclave?

There are many "justified" reasons for these communities. I've been told by expats, its because of security considerations - does that mean to say that Belizeans are not trustworthy to have as neighbours and friends? If you believe that, then why buy in Belize at all?

I've been told by Americans that they have come here because they hate their 'black president" - so why even come to a mixed race country ?

I've also been told that it's not exclusionary - "they" just can't afford to live in Consejo Shores - Must we always overtly display our North American opulence?

I don't expect anybody to agree with my assessment - but that is what I have experienced in the past 6 months. I don't expect anybody here in Consejo to change either. So I'm the one that has to move. This attitude here is  also something that no one wants to discuss, like a shameful secret.

So instead of just talking the talk - I am moving out of Consejo - and to the real Belize, which fortunately is just 8 miles down the wet and very flooded road.

I know of which you speak and do not have the answere..  Must be a way for someone to blend into both worlds??  I want to be part of the Belizean community, volunteer and assist with anything possible, but I do also want to know I can leave my home for 6 months and feel it is safe from vandalism.  I would be the one I would consider "at fault" for leaving a residence for six months and technically could not blame someone for taking everything if I left it and more so if I lived in a remote area where no one could see what was going on.  I know that cannot be guaranteed anymore in a gaited community than otherwise, but it does bring peace of mind knowing there are "like" minded people around you.  I understand that most Belizeans do not have nor need what we might consider necessites (ie. electronics to keep in contact with family away) and do not fault them for thinking I am rich and can afford to have them taken away.  I also do not blame them for taking something I might carelessly leave outside.  But if I can do something to take away the opportunity, or at least lessen it, I do not find fault in building in a "gaited community".  It is not to isolate me from the people of the country, but more to give me more resources to assimilate into the country.   I do fault expats for thinking that they are above them and feel superior or try to take adavantage of a situation.  I would never do that here, why would i do that there.  As the saying goes - A rose by any other name is still a rose.  A person does not change who they are by moving to another country.

I lived in Atlanta for 5 years where petty thievery was epidemic.  I despise it.  I want a little fountain on my front porch so I can hear the sound of running water when relaxing on the veranda or thru the window when I sleep at night.  I think I need a herd of pot lickers to do this without having it stolen.

If I were not renting I would build a little out building of concrete blocks with burglar door & concrete roof.  I would have my laundry there plus many of our tools and for sure the ladder.   I would have a small veranda adjacent with a grilling spot.  I do not want the scent of grilling coming into the house when the grill is right by my house windows.  My husband wants to use a bicycle lock & cable to lock our ladder to a column on the back porch.   My TAXI MAN suggested that thieves would cut the cable so we should keep the ladder in the LR laying on the floor behind the couch!!!!!!!!!!!   Bleah.

When we lived in Aruba, we could assimilate for several reasons.  My husband could pass for Aruban, I could pass for Dutch in our appearances.  I spoke the local patois and he speaks french and a particular Island creole.   Aruba is an affluent country.  Tourism provides good income for Aruba and Arubans & we were assimilated into the Aruban community.  I worked in the International womans group and Marc was part of an international fraternal organization.  In Belize, the womans club is all expats.  I do not yet know spanish or the local creole.  the economic gulf that separates us from most Belizeans is apparently vast even tho our income is modest.  In Belize I am viewed as a source of money, by the government and the residents, who charge me twice the price they charge Belizeans.   

I shop at the local produce markets.  A vendor tried to charge me twice the rate per pound for a cantelope that other vendors were charging.  I told her it was too much and she gave me a filthy look.    Bleah..........

covering too many topics in this post.   

I would have a secure out building.

I will continue to attempt to be "part of" instead of "apart from", because we plan to live here the rest of our lives.

Sunnybrook,

I am in no way saying that you are "at fault" for any reason that you may want to live in Consejo Shores. If you feel that it is right for you, then who am I to challenge or even question your choices?
It is just my personal observations and my choice not to stay.

I was lucky in that I did not come here on a two week holiday and quickly buy my dream property. Because, at this point I would be unhappy because I would have bought something where I wouldn't want to live and build - and I probably wouldn't be able to re-sell it again for years. Then my dream could have turned into a nightmare, emotionally and financially.

There are many reasons people do buy and build here. Time and time again Consejo comes up as one of the oldest and perhaps best expat community. I guess if you do want an expat community and all it entails, then it will probably work out for you.
But for example, if you like sandy beaches, then this is not the place for you, there are many reason why people choose certain areas over others.

There is more to consider when looking for a long term home than a spreadsheet of financial stewardship of the HOA.  If you don't fit in with the attitudes and ideals of the community, then you are always going to feel like an outsider.  These are the unquantifiable aspects for homeownership. And as I get older, these aspects outweigh some of the other more tangible issues.

For me, spending 6 months to a year getting to know your future neighbours - is just common sense. You are a long way from home here, and will probably end up interacting with your new neighbours far more than you do with your neighbours at home. I just  find it hard to get all warm and fuzzy at a local BBQ, with someone you know is a card carrying racist. (Or any type of diametrically opposite views to yours).

The one other thing I can't help noticing is the definite stigma attached to saying you live in Consejo.  I feel like I have to apologize when I tell someone my address.
I am not mad or angry about being here or spending time in Consejo - like much of the rest of my experiences here, it has made me re-examine my motives and choices for being here. I feel that I can make a more educated decision about what I am looking for and where I want to be and who I want to be with.

I hope that you can find a way to mingle and mix the two worlds successfully. The bad roads are also a physical deterrent to spending more time in Corozal Town. At first, it doesn't seem so bad - only 7-8 miles. But after awhile it wears on you. Night time travel down that road is dangerous. Tomorrow there are some festive activities that are happening in town. But we will have to leave before dark - especially with the flooding. If you like to entertain,  for inviting people to come out and visit you is a problem, especially if they don't have a suitable vehicle. (BTW the road was impassible yesterday) If these things are important in your life, then the road will matter, if you're a recluse, then not so much.

As I said, I'm just very thankful that I rented first and did not make a financial commitment before I found out what the undertow was here.

I hope that you can find your path here. I really hope that you can come here and be happy. I truly wish you nothing but the very best.

Ah, such diversity in the Expat community too! ;-)

People are different around the world. I have met, worked with absolutely wonderful people from around the world, of different race, religion, and economic means. Of course I have also met absolutely horrible people of each as well. I hate when people paint me with a nice big broad brush because I am male, white, express a faith, born in Canada, ran my own business, and have certain belief that certain political ways are better than others for getting the best for most. I am so much more than that, and so much different than other people of the same ilk. Certainly there are many examples of people that fit this description that are horrible people that I will not be around.

Therefore what I do is to get to know each person as they are. This certainly is more dangerous and risky, but I get to find wonderful people in all corners of the world, and get to find some wonderful people.

I like to read about person's experiences on this site. Especially those that are already on the ground in Belize. (I should be on the ground soon). I certainly see that we are going to have to push faster at learning Spanish and Creole. Getting over the language barrier will certainly be the best thing we can do to protect ourselves.  I can understand than the multiple times that we have come to Belize to check things out that we were the tourist so people were all nice to us. As we become their neighbours then the dynamics all change. Now we are 'that' neighbour. They have their nice little stereotype package they will fit me in.

I'm with Krista in hating the act of theft. That of course is part of my core morals. I am not going to live in opulence, but don't believe I need to live in a shack of 100 sq ft, and an outhouse to fit in with the locals. The people of Belize want to reap from the 'wealth' we bring to the country then we become part of their country, part of the mix. I am positive there will be fantastic born in Belzie people, and there will be those that will try to steal everything they can (expats, and locals).

For us we have decided to not live in a gated community. We are living a more rural life and will be surrounded by various types of locals. We are hoping that we will meet some wonderful people that we will consider friends. We also hope that we will meet some that we can trust. We expect that we will meet those that will not be one of those. We also know that knowing their colour, race, 'religion', politics, wealth will not be the indicators that we can use to judge them.

Ahh... the complexities of life. If life were only simpler.

"Our first stop on our investigation of Belize is SI - is there an expat community  besides Carmelita Gardens?  We are liking the thought of less bugs/jungle/cooler night temps."

Brownie, there are other developments besides Carmelita gardens that have been around for a longer amount of time.  Carmelita has only one couple living in their house right now -- I would not call that a community, though some day it maybe.

More established developments include Riverwalk, Old Mill, Better in Belize, the towns of Cristo Rey or Bullet tree.  There are Neighborhoods in San Ignacio where expats build such as Kontiki, Maya vista, and Cahal Pech.  Search for any of these along with the words "Belize real estate,"

There is a new development in Santa Elena which is a resort that has been around for 30 years, but now they are dividing up the land (don't know the name of the development, it's just outside Santa elena as you head to cristo Rey.)  Duplooys Resort with the belize botanic gardens has remade their cabanas into purchasable little homes -- it's a good option for a rural buyer to have a "what you see is what you get" development.  That family has been working that land since the late 1980s.  The houses are under $100,000.  The road to that one is hilly and bumpy but usually passable.  You can do a trial rental through redroof property management, also search this.  Several real estate agents have rental listings, but usually they expect you to be looking at land with them, you might get sales pressure.

I also personally like San Antonio, the gateway to Mountain pine ridge.  This is a maya farm community but also has a fair number of expats from europe, has bus service, and properties are among the most affordable in the country.  Mountain pine ridge might be the most beautiful spot in the country and you have easy access to it from there, plus a new national park that is just as beautiful (Don Elijio Panti Park  http://www.epnp.org/ ) .

prestonia to brownie.......   ty so much for this post.  you have inspired me to look farther afield than I had planned.

Kris

Kristin, Nichi, read the blog by Brad Belize http://belize4me.blogspot.com/2013_04_01_archive.html

Sort of how they ended up in San Antonio.  Others I have met out there are just like that.  It truly is a simple life, but not boring. 

I would go out there to live, but am already pretty vested in San Ignacio proper.  I do like to visit, lots of eco-friendly farms using renewable energy (I visited one maya farm running on bio gas.)

The people are very happy.

My disclaimer for the link above:  I don't suggest a life this close to broke.  Just showing that there are communities where you can get by on the cheap and be happy.  Most of us have more money than this.  I would raise chickens of my own food if I lived out there.

Thanks Prestonia for the information and the link to the blog. Very interesting to read about his arrival in San Ignacio and then his return to the USA.

I have to agree with you - that not every Expat community is the same as Consejo - while probably not unique, it may not be representative of all expat communities.  I would hate to think that anyone here would assume that.
Even Mayan Seaside, which is just a mile away, is very different.

As usual, you have given some great information about the SI area and I'll be going to visit each of those areas that you mention, as soon as the flooding here subsides and we can get down the Consejo Road.

Update on Consejo Roads - Day 8
Includes the area around Oasis, starting well before Serenity Rd, the garbage dump and a few miles past

Looks like we are going to be marooned for a few more days - especially if it rains again today. Everybody who went to town yesterday made it back to Consejo safely, but said they wouldn't do it again anytime soon.

On Monday evening, when we came home, the water was 10 + inches deep, more  in spots - with about 3-4 consecutive miles of road totally underwater. Then a few feet of muddy patches, then stretches of more underwater sections.

Then it rained Monday night and again all Tuesday night. The official proclamation from those that have been living here for years is that "It is now worse than it was last year".
Even the garbage truck got stuck today.

The major issue is that the high water is concealing some huge pot holes - some apparently are the size of sink holes now - you can't see them, so the danger is that your truck will fall in one. If you do hit one - the front end of your truck goes in, and doesn't come out. The water in those holes are 18-20 or more inches, according so someone who got stuck.
Also the water is not safe to walk in, the garbage dump has been flooded for  more than a week - and the water from there just spreads out for a few miles. Some of the local workers who walked in it, are being treated for skin infections etc.
The road was pretty bad before this last week of rain, now, it's just worse. So far, it's just inconvenient.
Most people living here are used to this, part of life - just like snow storms in Quebec.
The town itself is not flooded, the houses are all fine, we still have power and internet - so far. But we are not getting out of here anytime soon. ...

I have some photos if anyone is interested, but I'm not sure how to upload them here.

[img][IMG]http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad132/nichi_photos1/P9111682_zps95f4c4ea.jpg[/img][/img]

These were taken Day 1 of the flooding - it really is much worse now. So much so that I can't get out to photograph it. But this will give you an idea of when it was still possible to drive.

But good news - I can see the sun trying to break through.

mststp  - I hope you are not sorry that you opened this topic -
More Consejo Road news from a wonderful gentleman who has a Belizean point of view. ABout half way down he addresses the specific issue of the Consejo Road.

Quote from  Lincoln Edward Eiley - The Editor of the Corozal Daily,

RAIN - ROAD - RAGE - Corozal - This particular situation hits me personally since I have so many friends in the beautiful villages of Sarteneja, Chunox, Copper Bank, Progresso, Consejo and other surrounding villages. These are the most humble, peaceful and hardest working people, I have run across in Belize.
As Editor of the Corozal Daily, I stand firm in solidarity with them as I feel their pain. It is sad and a crying shame that at a time of Belizean Patriotism/Nationalism, as we comfortably celebrate and rejoice at home our Independence Day Celebrations that for the past months, these villagers and residents have been enduring much pain and suffering in silence.

Their road condition is farthest, the worse. In some areas deep ravines have carved themselves out on the road making traffic impassable and unbearable. Water is as high as 2 feet and more in some areas.
This falls nothing short of the oppression, marginalization and malignity against those that don't seem to have a voice. It is social injustice and travesty by those that don't give a damn and those that do not stand up for them. These villagers are tired and have had enough of not being able to make it to their work or just the simplest task of getting their children to school on a daily basis makes it unbearable. This is utterly troubling my friends and I don't buy the Ministry of Work's explanation that they have nothing to do with the road project. They have everything to do with it as the overall responsibility of this project lies in the hands of the CEO of the Ministry of Works and the Supervising Engineer is the Ministry of Works, so they are directly responsible for the good governance of this project.

Yesterday, the contractor Bella Vista Development/Lopez Equipment Co. Ltd. via a Joint Venture spokesperson stated to the media that the project had been suspended. We ask why since it never got underway?

Belizeans are becoming intolerant of being fooled and everything seemingly being pictured as honky-dory when it is not. It is no longer business as usual. We are tired of the ball always being shuffled around and around when controversy arises in these issues. The poor people in these areas have had it and paying a high price on these games of chance played by both political parties. I am sick of it and WE all are sick of the schisms. In July 2011 a multi-million dollar contract had been signed by the contractor. The work was to commence November 21, 2011 and ended 18 months later on May 21, 2013. This is the second time that the project would seem to have been suspended after 5 years.
The first time was on this Government's first term in office in 2008 when the funds were diverted to Albert Street in Belize City. Is this punishment for the hardworking people of the north, particularly Corozal? Why? The current funds were said to have been allocated under the European Union's AMS 2008 Sugar Belt Road Rehabilitation Project-Phase 2, which would have seen the paving of the 16 miles of road from the Orange Walk San Estevan Bridge to the village of Progresso in the Corozal District.
Where are those funds today?.. Certainly not on the ground and we want to know where is this money? The road project is certainly a key role in the development and growth of the Tourism Industry in these areas but most important for cane farmers and agro business who use this stretch of the road especially during the crop season.
The condition of streets and roads in general has deteriorated in our beautiful Corozal District but even a greater problem has emerged now, due to the past 12 days of continuous rain and flooding.

A more striking thought is the noxious spillage of garbage from the dump taking place right along the Consejo Road. For the record, we respectfully draw the immediate and urgent attention to the Ministers and Area Representatives responsible due to a continuing health and safety problems between Corozal Town and Consejo. The road of some 8 miles length is constructed of compacted white marl which is failing to withstand the heavy traffic it now carries. The road invariably floods in the rainy season making it almost impassable. Along the main road at approximately Mile 3.9 lies the Corozal Waste Dump, which is now posing serious health and environmental hazards to the Consejo Communities.

The Corozal Daily takes the liberty today on the eve of our independence day, that as we celebrate we also address these pressing and human issues at a turning point in the way forward for this community. We ask the local chapter of the Corozal Belize Tourism Industry Association, Ministers of Works, Health, Minister of Tourism, Labour, Natural Resources and all Area Representatives of Corozal to draw appropriate attention to these urgent problems facing a community of Belize which honours fully its obligations to the State with no less wish than to see our “Jewel” shine as it should.

God Bless the people of Corozal.

God Bless Belize.

Nichi: I enjoy these kinds of updates. I want to hear news from Belize. I have driven the road you talk about in the dry season. Certainly a slow drive even in the dry season.

Nichi,

I guess I asked for it and I got it.  I just hope something will be done about these conditions.  My thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this time.

6 months is only a short time Nichi

I've seen this road in good and bad conditions depends what season you are in, what you have to realise is that this is Belize and at its best the roads are not what we expats are used to, deal with it, it's not going to change anytime soon.
Corozal district for the most part is low lying swamp, when its wet it floods, end of.
Lets not forget Belize is in the sub tropics.

Consejo village, the Shores, Mayan Seaside, are not flooded, if you don't have a boat to get to the shops, in Corozal, hop on the Weekly boat ride to Chetumal and get a weekly shop.

Relax sit on your porch and watch the rain, read a book or two and take in the wet season
THIS IS THE TROPICS
Best thing to invest in is a small hovercraft land or water no worries

http://www.hovpod.com/news/news.html

By the way if your looking for a builder drop me a line

After driving from San Ignacio to Sarteneja during the dry season (6 hours) in a good 4x4 I was certainly tired from the drive. The same for many of the other roads we went on as we explored the country. Sure it would be nice if they were paved. Then I thought....

Why do I like Belize....
1. It has a rural feel to it.
2. Less government.
3. Less people.
4. Has lots of undeveloped land
5. People are lot less rushed.
6. People have time to talk.

It has this to a great extent because of the roads. These roads keep a lot of people out. So in the end it is the bad roads that help to make Belize what it is. So I thank the roads in Belize.

Of course that would not be my thoughts if I needed to go somewhere for an emergency, or food, or a flight and I could not go because of the roads. I grew up in rural Alberta Canada. Lots of times winter blizzards, and spring run off made roads a challenge to get through. So I have grown up with not being afraid of the roads.

Mcagun,

Like I've said, I personally am not really having any problems with the roads, though they have deteriorated quickly over the past few days. The topic was about the good and bad of Consejo for those who have purchased land, but as yet,  have not had the opportunity to live here.

I do have concern for the local villagers who must use that road daily to get to their jobs or to school. The road condition is a major issue for them.

I've learnt to sit tight and wait it out the wet seasons. The water will eventually recede, although estimates from the local villagers are that it may take a week.

I  stocked up with food when we went through on Monday, in anticipation of everything deteriorating.

Just FYI - although I have only been in Belize for 6 months ( I do get the sarcasm in your disparaging comments), I fail to understand how this in any way limits or diminishes my capacity to observe and compare recent meteorological events with hydrogeological impacts.

I have not, by any stretch of the imagination, been pampered by first world luxuries like paved roads. Most of my life has been spent in sections of Africa; living decades in poverty stricken countries,  with conditions that would make your hair curl.
I am, however, in a unique position to analogize various scenarios of 3rd world countries on different continents and assess their current investments in infrastructures and compare the resulting repercussions to economic growth and development.

I'm also not the type to sit and watch the rain. I run two Canadian businesses from here, both take a substantial amount of my time.

The one concern for the area is the toxic chemicals and bacterial contamination leaching from the severely flooded garbage dump. This is a huge health hazard by any standards. I own an environmental company (specializing in Bioremediation - ie the degradation of chemical contaminants by using selected microbes) and understand the intricacies of the complex contamination that is emanating from that area.( As well as what it is going to take to remediate the area)

Fortunately,  the immediate area is mostly uninhabited, though it is well travelled. It is the only access route to Consejo and Mayan Seaside.
A great entry point to some of the most expensive land in Belize - I'm sure it must make a great impression for potential buyers.

But, with the encroachment of expat communities down Consejo Road,  and with the extent of this recent flooding -stretching far beyond the last flooding event (of August 2012), unless better drainage systems are established for the area, it could become a major and reoccurring health hazard.

Biological threats are the first and primary are of concern right now, for at least 1+ miles on either side of the waste dump, active waterborne diseases and antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria are no doubt teaming in the area. Chemical amalgamates with toxicity levels severe enough to cause topical burns are prevalent in the area.

The secondary wave of dengue fever carrying mosquitos will no doubt follow late next week (the extrinsic incubation period ranges from 10–21 days), this will carry far beyond the current flooded areas. No mosquito control is currently active in the area.

Thirdly, the remnants of the carcinogenic leachate that will last for many years/decades after the initial flooding event. Absorbed into the ground, the effluent plume will impact wells and potable water in the immediate area, with possible localized impacts to the water table. It enters the eco-system through the animals that feed in the dump and contaminates the plant life in the area.

As you can see my concern for the flooding goes far beyond the acknowledgement of some seasonal inconveniences caused by a Tropical depression. It's certainly not about a spoiled first world brat not being able to go shopping in Chetumal.

It's about the longer term implication of population growth in an area with limited economic resources for even basic garbage disposal and sewage and the ecological impact to Belizeans and the new immigrants who will be inhabiting this very same peninsula.

I personally have no stake in this, I don't own an oversized home that I am trying to sell at an outrageous price, I'm not planning to earn my living by trying to convince others that they should buy and build in the area.

I just think that people who have bought land in the area, should be made aware of the local issues.  As the one thing that does seem to be consistent is the lack of full disclosure and readily available information to potential buyers.

What a pretty  picture you paint.

The dump has been there for as long as I have been travelling up and down this road.

I went to a meeting in town once to hear a few Canadian guys talk about their plans to move the dump somewhere else as they were going to build a golf course on an abandoned resort, that sits across from the dump towards Consejo a little.

Not happened yet, my guess is no investors

Here's my take on the Dump

Before they burn off the excess waste, some of the locals come in pick through for all things they can recycle, this is of course, after the Flies and Vultures have had their fill.

You can often see locals, young and old, coming back from the dump with their bikes full of plastic. When ever I can, I pick them up and give them a ride, usually until one of them bangs on the cab to stop. I always let the kids and women sit up front, so they get a bit of the A/C.
Once one woman with a new baby who was sat up front decided it was a good time to feed, so without hesitation she whipped out her titty and chucked that baby on it, the little thing was certainly ready.

I looked across at the woman and smiled, she smiled back, blinked both eyes and nodded at the same time,

I assumed that was Belize for thank you

Ohh and FYI Nichi

A year or so ago I noticed a sink hole opening up on the road, right outside the dump, this got me thinking. I wonder where all the subterranean water flows too, that leaches down from above the dump.

I already know where the surface water goes, straight down serenity rd towards Corozal Bay.

And folks be careful in the bay, the floods usually wash out a few Crocs into the bay

Belize,,,,,, you have got to love it.

mcagun
Thank you for so eloquently illustrating and solidifying  my initial point in this thread.

I think that the opinions you expressed are probably allot closer to the general consensus to those who live in Consejo/Mayan Seaside, than mine are.
As I said, I am the one who is out of place here. You are an excellent example of what can be expected by those who have bought here.

Although it should be pointed out that while mcagun, doesn't actually live here full time yet, he has spent time here building a house and is as per his contribution on another thread is an “expat contractor”. He has friends and associates here, probably many more than I do.
Thank you for making the point for me. No need for me to say anymore.

mcagun

Thank you for sharing and giving me a positive view.  We purchased property in Consejo Shores at the beginning of the year.  We just had a good feeling about this community.  I wanted to know how people felt about living there. I originally started this post.

I know the flooding of the roads and the condition of the dump is a major issue. My heart goes out to all of you.  I'm just looking for more information regarding my investment.

mststp

The whole of Consejo area is a wonderful place to live, very quiet and peaceful. You can be as involved in the area as much or as little as you want, I chose to get involved with the locals
Usually folk live and let live.

Consejo village, you will soon discover, is made up of a few local families.

The good thing about Consejo is that there is 1 rd in and 1 out, there is no through traffic.

Unfortunately sometimes the road gets bad, and as it happens Nichi is right, it is very bad this time, 2 weeks of rain.

Although I have just heard, that there has been 2 days of sunshine and it seems the water is starting to recede.

My Belizean brother (Dorro) called me yesterday from the Millennium Bar/Restaurant in Consejo and gave me a sit-rep.

Dorro is typical Belizean, always smiling and always willing to help. He works with me when ever I am in Belize. I can always find him something to do, Most people around Consejo know Dorro and most expats on Mayan Seaside have employed him in some shape or form, some, including myself have had him house-sit from time to time, while they are away.

Dorro can do anything with construction and is a well trusted person around Consejo.

The telephone conversation went like this.

(Dorro) Hey John, how is you and de family man, 'Good', I say,
'How is Miss Debbie', 'Good man', I say,

I drop straight back into the accent

(Dorro) 'Good man', 'I am at the Millennium with Jorge' (Hor-Hay)

I hear Jorge in the background, 'Hey John when you back next man', I have a cold one waiting'.

Jorge is a good friend and the owner of the Millennium Bar in Consejo. Top class barman.

(Dorro) 'Hey John, the road is messed up man bad, but I got through with the coke truck'.

Beer, worldwide, always gets through.

(me) 'Are you working Dorro'?
(Dorro) 'No man'
(Me) 'OK, I'll send you some Dollar bro'
(Dorro) 'Good man'.
(Me) 'Dorro, ask Santiago to look at my plants man, they need trimming'
(Dorro) 'Yes man',its all good man'.

Santiago is Dorro's in-law, he and his family live with Dorro and his family, in Dorro's house.
Santiago is great with plants, I am hoping to set up a basic Aquaponic system for him to take care of and learn about.

(me) 'How you getting back home man'
(dorro) 'Darvin is giving me a ride in his boat, good man'.

'Darvin' is Jorges cousin, he owns a boat and also mends them and sometimes sells them, you can rent him and his boat out,
Darvin and his family also have just opened another little Palapa Bar in the village.

I hear Darvin in the background,'Hey Barón, when you back man'.

Dorro explains that Darvin is ferrying the folk from Consejo to Corozal in his boat to get supplys because of the road.

We end the conversation with the usual goodbyes and I pass the phone to Saul, my youngest, as Dorro wants to speak with him.

I know what the conversation is going to be about already, as does Saul and he starts to smile and blush.

Santiago has a daughter who is the same age as Saul,(12).

Dorro is always ribbing Saul that his future wife is being good and that she is doing well in school and staying away from the boys and she is getting better at cooking, etc, etc.

Points in all this.

The road floods its a fact, I hear that some people are getting together this time and trying to attract some attention to the problem, not sure what can be done except to move the dump to higher land, but who's going to agree to a dump being moved closer to them.

The village pulls together in times of need.

Belizeans, like Dorro who don't even own a car can get down the road and do so on a daily basis travelling miles a day, some on bikes some bum rides, its the Belizean way.

Belizeans are optimists, Dorro is in Consejo for 1 thing only and that is to look for work, he knows that if he hangs around long enough someone will want something doing, especially when bad weather hits.

If you do decide to get involved, i believe you will have a fuller life, do as some do in the area, adopt a Belizean family and help out where you can, pay and send a kid to school, employ a Gardener, a Cleaner, get out on a boat now and then,

ENJOY Belize and all its 'Ups and Downs'.
You think a bit of water is bad
Wait until it brings wind with it.

The Mayans named a god after this natural force, they called the God

Huracán

Some cultural Information

Grace Nichols' poem
Hurricane Hits England

Video

is about the experience of being an immigrant, of living in a foreign country. Like 'Presents from My Aunts in Pakistan, it is also about how such an experience affects a character's sense of themselves and their cultural identity.

At the start of the poem the character feels some distance, or lack of connection with her new country. She doesn't feel quite at home, or part of things, it is still alien to her:

'It took a hurricane, to bring her closer To the landscape.'

The hurricane re-connects her to her heritage and homeland. It breaks the 'frozen lake' in her. This frozen lake suggests that until the storm she has felt cut-off from the deeper aspects of her personality and her history, that she felt restricted and had to live on the surface.

The hurricane not only re-connects her with a full sense of herself it also connects life in England with life in the West Indies. In the end the message of the storm is that the 'earth is the earth is the earth., In other words, beneath superficial differences we are all connected and share a common experience.

This is an elaborate impassioned poem. Nichols uses a dense combination ofpoetic effects, from metaphor to paradox to apostrophe. Like the characterin the poem we have to work hard to decode the message of the storm and theaffect it has on the character.

When you listen to the poem concentrate on the tone that is used.

Nice story Mcagun, except that the Coke Truck hasn't been here since September 11. ( and Jorge, who is friendly to everyone, doesn't actually own   the Millennium, but he is a great bar man) Jorge is a good resource to anyone when they first arrive, so helpful and a great guy.
But remember, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Road Update -
Coke truck cannot get through.
Also the school bus didn't make it either - it got 2 flat tires at a pothole near the garbage dump.
A few hardy soles did drive the road yesterday- several 4x4's got stuck - some are still there - others they managed to drag out. There is one large 4X4 that did make it yesterday- barely, but he wasn't going to try to return to Corozal until things got better.
Most people who had been doing regular runs to town have decided, that unless its an emergency not to even attempt the road. Also driving on it is tearing it up .

Rain continues - day 14

As far as drying out - not likely - we had a few hours of sunshine yesterday -  it has been raining for 13 consecutive hours.
An additional .66 inches fell last night (between 7 and 10pm)- and it's currently raining at 1.44 inches per hour.
There is some minor flooding on the streets in Consejo shores, but that will drain off quickly - as it usually does, after the rain stops.

I think after this past 13 hours we are in for a entire other set of problems.

http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/90627

Not just my opinion this time :|

Nichi,
Yes, I have noticed people are trying to bring attention to it. I also saw floods on channel 7

7 news

I was on the emailing list with the attached letters from Carol (shores) & Richard (village council) and the Video which highlighted the dump.

I have forwarded the email and its contents to various people that may be able to circulate it further,

Well, thank you for this current thread.  I haven't been out to consejo since about 2005.  I know a lot has been built since then (building permits show 25 houses in the last 4 years being built.)

Isn't it about time they do something about the road?  aren't there enough residents to tax for it or something? Or can't they set a up a community shuttle by boat?

The road will always flood, unless they can raise it a couple of feet, or create some huge elaborate drainage scheme to the bay.

The dump needs moving to higher ground, but that will not stop toxic waste leaching into subterranean waters.

Would anyone in their right mind agree to a new location for the dump.

I am afraid it will take more than the $ that is created from the whole of Consejo area to sort out this mess

Prestonia

We could arrange an exodus by boat, there are enough people here co-ordinate that - and we still have communication, power, internet. Most people went through last week when the road was somewhat passable, and stocked up with food and rum, so everybody is fine for a few days.
The situation is not dire yet.  I don't think that anyone is at the point where they have decided to leave. Most have just opened up another bottle of rum. A boat could be used to bring in basis supplies, should it become necessary.

We are getting brief reprieves in the rain, the weather pattern it's not letting up.

Ferry Road, Progresso and Orchard Bay are having the same problem, their road to both Corozal and the alternate to OW is impassable.

There have only been very few incidents in the past where Consejo got totally cut off, that was an honour bestowed on places like Sarteneja  or even CopperBank. As it happens more and more frequently, the longer term implications on investments here is yet to be seen.
With so many house already for sale in Consejo, this constant national publicity of being cut off and the possible ecological impacts caused by the garbage dump is not going to be good, at least in the short term, for anyone trying to get out of their investment here.

It certainly makes it a less attractive option for those who want to live here year round. Though, it still won't physically affect the snowbirds, it could impact them economically when trying to sell.

I do enjoy a good story.   I love factual discourse.   thank you all for participating.   I remain delighted that I live on the very high ground here in Vivas Layout, just off the hard, intact Northern Hwy.   I Thank all the participants.

Hey Mcagun,

With all of your vast knowledge of the area,  why didn't you think to mention that there is a second route - a ring road (a secondary road) through the cane fields that exits through Paraiso. That info would have been really helpful.

We traveled it today. There were several spots that were dangerous, ie underwater hole that went down 3 feet, and several stretches of 6-8 inches of water and mud - but it is in much better shape than Consejo Road. Some guys were going with a truck ( this evening) to fill the most dangerous area with rock and fill. But it is a viable and safer way out.

Consejo Road is still a disaster. The solution has been to have a truck there - on standby, to pull the vehicles out as they get stuck in the largest mud sections.  There was a traffic jam there this morning; the School bus was stuck again.

Other residents, not wanting to travel the road, hired the 'Chetumal boat' to take them to Corozal this morning for supplies.
The rain has now stopped - for the last 24 hours. And we have alternative routes in place. Life is not exactly back to normal, but close enough that nobody will notice the difference.

There has been enough noise, made at a local level, that there are promises to look at the road issue, and I have no doubt, that it will happen at the same speed as most other things here.
Belize it or not - The Consejo Rd garbage dump was supposed to be closed and moved last January, though no one seems to know about any plans to deal with the accumulated garbage. Also no one knows why the new dump didn't open, just that it didn't. A mystery for another day.

http://www.quepasacorozal.com/consejo-r … the-flood/

Local News