Where would be a good place to live in Bahrain if you have children?

Hi,

My husband and I are potentially moving to Bahrain. We have a nearly 2yr old and I am due baby no.2 in 4 weeks time! I would love to hear from some mums with their stories of how they have found the transition to living in Bahrain.

Where is a good family, friendly are to live in?

Would we be better in a complex? I assume this as there will be other families around etc.

Is it easy to meet other mums with children? I am terrified of being very lonely.

Thank you for any advice/help

Kirsten

Sorry I should have said the company that my husband has potentially got a job with is based in Manama

Hello again- well there are quite a few suggestions. A lot of british people live in adliya, which is very central, but quite a busy place! The British Club is in that area if you are interested in that - lots of families go there.

Seef is a very nice area, probably less families and less brits.
Saar- lots of villas and complexes with lots of families and lots of british. A few colleagues live in Seef and its very nice! Its not directly in Manama but you can cover most areas in less than half an hour anyway!!
They are the 3 areas I would look at in you're position - in fact probably narrow it to Saar or Adilya to be honest. (With adilya include Mahooz and Umm al Hassam - all neighbouring districts).

Rich

Thank you that is really helpful.

Also take a look at http://www. bahrainpropertyworld.com/

It will give you an indication of what there is on offer and the different areas.

But I generally agree with Rich. Saar, Adliya and areas sorrounding these two would be best suited. Another area you could think of is Riffa Views. I am biased since, I live in Riffa Views :)

Living in an apartment vs villa is a choice you have to make depending on budget, convenience, space requirement, etc. Weigh out the pros and cons before deciding. The forum members will be alble to help out too.

Best wishes.

Thank you! ooh have seen some nice properties! Very different from our wee cottage in the English countryside :D

I would recommend Saar, Janabiya, Jasra or Hamala area for you.  There are loads of expat families living here because we are very close to the 2 British schools and you have the Rugby Club, Dilmun Club and great nursery schools nearby.

Riffa is beautiful and I know Farhaz is biased :)  BUT I have a friend with 4 young children who lives there and is now moving back to the Saar area as she spends her life driving to school, playdates etc.  She had been here a year when she moved there so already had a great network of friends but she says she does feel isolated living there.  I know its not really that far but we all very quickly fall into the "if its longer than 10 minutes in the car its miles away" frame of mind that is unique to the Middle East! 

Hope that helps

Thank you I have found some amazing properties now looking at those places - ooh getting a little bit excited now!

Just be aware that Saar can get lively at times with protests. Nothing to worry about as you will get used to it when you get here, but it could be frightening to see a warzone-like area for the first time. The protests are not towards expats but until you get to know the ins and outs of it, it could make you feel itchy about the place.

Good luck.

... and Riffa, on the other hand, is lively without any of the protestor fanfare. :)

brightonguy wrote:

Just be aware that Saar can get lively at times with protests. Nothing to worry about as you will get used to it when you get here, but it could be frightening to see a warzone-like area for the first time. The protests are not towards expats but until you get to know the ins and outs of it, it could make you feel itchy about the place.

Good luck.

There is Saar (near the village and a bit dicey) and there is Saar - very expat and fine.  If you choose places in Saar - let one of us know the name of the compound and we will be honest and let you know if its the good bit or not :)