Moving/visiting Jamcia

Hi Guys - always interested in Jamacia - presently living (all my life) in Canada - got lots of questions - can someone on a pension of approximately $3200.00/mnthly be able to live comfortably - I am assuming medical coverage is paid for but is med insurance offered - what about apartment rentals and are the apartments fashionable - thats it for now - please reply - thanks!!!!

Hi hem781,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

You should post an advert in the Housing in Jamaica section if you are looking for accommodation :)

You can browse through the discussions on the Everyday life in Jamaica it might be helpful ;)

Best wishes

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hey! I'm from Burlington lookin to move to Jamaica too! It seems a bit, overwhelming to move there on ones own. Ya know? I just got back from vacation there two weeks ago, believe me it was absolutely amazing! Have you been? Are you looking to move down there???

Yes, and Yes...... Though I am looking to live more in the farming community..... I am trying to get away from the tread mill way...

hi hem781,

here are some figures and they vary as you can imagine depending on what part of the country you choose to live. your budget should get you by but it would not be living like a king or queen. I live in Kingston so the rates apply to my area which is Kingston 10.  rent 2 bed room apt in 3-5 yr old gated complex Ja $60k to 75k.............water bill Ja$ 2500...........light can vary from a low of 8000 up to 17,000 or more depending on your usage and conservation practices,,,,,,,,,,,,house keeper can run 7000,00 per week if you need that or 1500 per day for cleaning and washing etc.
transportation can vary widely if you hired a taxi for the day it could 3k to 5k if you rented a car for the month it would be costly so you would have to weigh your transport options depending on where you plan to live. Kingston is where the energy is at also Montego Bay and Ocho Rios are options if you like the resort town vibe and long term rentals can be affordable in those areas. Port Antonio is a sleepy town with beautiful landscapes and beaches and is great for the easy going laid back living.

I hope this helps

On my last stay in Jamaica; I lived near a place called Manchioneal, in a Cabin in the hills with no running water or Electricity....  I liked it very much, each day i would go to the waterfall to wash and get water for the day... It was one of the best moments of my life....  I was required to pay Nothing;  I would like to return to this life; living with Nature and being Free........  That is the purpose for Coming Back to Jamaica.