New laws regarding CPR for women who's husbands work in Saudi

It was announced a week ago that NO CPR's will be given to women who's husbands work in Saudi Arabia without the woman (and children) having an Iqama first.

This have been fought against since implemented, hence me not posting earlier but to no avail

For all those who already have their CPR, the issue will arise when your renewal date comes along.

Hopefully they will have changed the laws again by then!!

To follow on from Jo's post-

What is the protocol of living in bahrain but working in saudi?

My employer (i think) will get my family and I a residence permit for saudi, but I have it in my contract they are allowing me to live in Bahrain.

I have explained they will have to cover the costs of the bridge daily and all fuel costs ect and they have agreed.

Do I need any formal docs of them to get a villa, satellite, bahrain contract phone etc etc?

I know so many people do this daily so It's prob straight forward and not to difficult - hopefully!

This is terrible news. I hope the powers that be realize the negative repercussions of this decision and change it to the way it was.

It is indeed terrible news but am sure its a way to make more money for Saudi!!

Boltonboy - it is very straightforward.  As long as you have your Iqama (or you get your company to rent it for you) you will be able to rent a house in Bahrain.  Once your wife has her Iqama you can apply for residency and CPR in Bahrain and then you will be able to do all the other things you want.

In the meantime, there are ways around everything.  Get a pay as you go phone, get pay as you go internet (or negotiate with your landlord to get it included in your rent), and as long as you have a credit card the satellite tv is easy to deal with (or again get it included in your rent).  Hope that helps.

Argh! This is not good news!  But very information. I am in exactly this situation! My husband is already working in saudi. And is living in Bahrain! i am to move a cross to live inBahrain in October. I really hope i dont need to live in Saudi! Argh!

You won't have to live in Saudi, the process is very easy once you have your Iqama, I just didn't want to get an Iqama in the first place.
Unfortunately our papers were presented and the law changed the next day - nobody bothered to tell us!! We had to pay BD40 each as over stayers and then fly to Doha (nightmare) to get a new visit visa. We now have to start the whole process of the Iqama which I never wanted!!!!!

Not sure about UK passports but for Australian's this has been the case since January. Our first CPR application was rejected so we had to pay lots of fees extending our visa's so the company could organise iqama's. Love the way they change the rules without publicising it.

They changed the rule after our CPR forms were submitted and didn't tell us. We sat waiting for our CPR's and were only informed about the law when they told us we were over stayers and fined us BD40 each and then cancelled our CPR process. We then had to fly out of Bahrain to Doha and back - nightmare and very costly journey.

We are now right back at square one!!

I'm glad it's sorted now.

It's far from sorted - as I said, we are back to square one

So what's the next step?

I have to get Saudi Iqama, then apply for CPR, same for my son

Can you get an Iqama without living in Saudi Arabia?

brightonguy wrote:

Can you get an Iqama without living in Saudi Arabia?

Of course you can - most of your mates have Iqamas and live in Bahrain

I meant living & working.

Yes, sponsored by my husband's company. Same as 80% of expat women over here.

That's ok then.

If the company sponsor the wives - a lot don't.

It's a nightmare situation and one we aren't sure we can get out of

There were rumours that they will reduce the 3 months visit visa to two weeks for British Citizens, same as many other countries. This rumour has been around for a bit so I'm not sure if it's going to turn into reality.

brightonguy wrote:

There were rumours that they will reduce the 3 months visit visa to two weeks for British Citizens, same as many other countries. This rumour has been around for a bit so I'm not sure if it's going to turn into reality.

Haven't heard about that from Immigration or my agent. Hope it's one of those things that takes years to implement.

I've heard from some reputable sources, due to some political tension happened between the UK and Bahrain during troubles in 2011 (ie British Citizens attending the protests). The rumour has been around since then but I completely agree - let's hope it takes years to implement.

I've heard those rumours too, I can't imagine it will happen anytime soon though if at all.

The only thing that happens fast in this country is driving probably.

Can i work in Bahrain if I have a CPR? My husband is suppose to work in Saudi but consider living in Bahrain. Do Bahrain allow women with CPR TO work? Thanks.

Your CPR is only your identification card. If you are sponsored by your husband then you can't work. You need to be sponsored by the company and get a work visa instead of a housewives visa