New to Jakarta

Hi all,

New to Jakarta and hoping to meet friends to explore the city.

New from where?

me too i'm new
kindly tell us more about your self

FFF has a very fast response..

are you paramedic? or fire fighter?

aabie ryan wrote:

I can be anything for you ;)

Ha ha ha I am looking forward to Aabie's reply.

Luke...raaaaaawwwwrrrr...

fff511 wrote:
aabie ryan wrote:

I can be anything for you ;)

How about for me?

Someone is jealouuuuuuuusss...
Run..people...ruuuuuuuuunnnn

I am Canadian but I was living in Japan prior to moving to Jakarta.
I have been here 1 month.  Time to get out and explore ;-)

Hi Aundrea,

Welcome and enjoy Jakarta

Ari :)

Hello Aundrea, welcome to the Big Durian!

Hope you're enjoying your stay so far :-)

Hey hey hey, Aundrea!

Welcome to Jakarta. I hope you enjoy the city as much as I do :)

Cheers,

Hi Aundrea, hope you're settling in ok!

Hey there,

You just came to Jakarta, but I'm leaving for Canada soon... ;)

Where in Canada did you come from?

Must be nice escaping the incoming winter into this tropical weather, eh? ;P (unless you lived in Vancouver, then disregard the weather comment :P)

Enjoy your stay!

plaindot wrote:

but I'm leaving for Canada soon... ;)

YOURE LEAVING FOR CANADAAA ???!!!@#$%&#! :|

Hi Aundrea, welcome to beloved city. If you need a help about everything in Jakarta just let me know, hope I can help, I was born in Jakarta and live in Jakarta so I am very familiar with this city...:)

Suryadi

Hi,
I'm from Toronto, so yes, I am soooooooooo glad to escape the winter.  Its actually sweater weather already. 
Where are you going in Canada?
First time?
How long will you be there?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance  ;-)

Thanks !

Wow, so many nice people ;-)

I am starting to research where I can study Indonesian Bahasa.  Any recommendations?

Hi i am dina
right i am looking 5 expat for volunteers teaching bahasa it is free just set up time so we can start the lesson

why is it free? and why 5?

lukereg wrote:

why is it free? and why 5?

does Famous Five ring a bell for you,Luke?

:lol:

I lived in Toronto (Well, part Oakville too) for 7 years already, just visiting as a tourist now for a month! :)

Seems like I'll be arriving JUST in time before Nuit Blanche, exciting... the only time you can drink on the streets :P
Been 2+ years already since I left Toronto though! Rec me places to be, always happy to check out places that I may haven't been ;) Or, Montreal. Will be my first time there, so suggestions would be super!

As for learning bahasa Indonesia, here's a formal learning institute if you're interested...
http://www.ialf.edu/learningindonesian.html#bahasajkt

There are tutors as well, some people here might have better contacts on that than me.

But you know, learn the (very) basics first on your own. Not hard: http://www.expat.or.id/info/bahasa.html

Luckily for you, Bahasa Indonesia is considered one of the easiest languages to learn, due to the seemingly lack of grammar and very forgiving structure... You can master conversational level in 3 months if you observe & practice it everyday. The harder part would be finding people to practice with :D (everyone would just start speaking in English to you, or at least try to lol)

Anyway, good luck :)

lashings of ginger beer....

Hi Aundrea, welcome to Jakarta...you must be patient with the road.:) its a busy city that makes a traffic so jammed..

Looks like you won't need my help, 7 years in Toronto and  your a Torontonian  ;-)
Nuite Blanche is always fun.  I think you just missed CNE and most of the harbour front festival 

Guess you'll have to just do alot of partying downtown and in Montreal  ;-)
When I am there my usual hangout is Babaloos in Yorkville and some of the other Salsa clubs and of course China Town and downtown restaurants.
I lived in Oakville for a few years too before moving downtown.  While you were there did you ever go to Niagara on the Lake wineries?

Thanks for the info on Indonesian Bahasa classes, I am determined to learn;-)

Have fun in the T.   ;-)

I am also curios why it is free. Nothing is free  ;)
and why 5??

dinalivia wrote:

Hi i am dina
right i am looking 5 expat for volunteers teaching bahasa it is free just set up time so we can start the lesson

Hi Dina, a little bit more information wouldnt hurt.
Everyone is confused why you are giving free bahasa Indonesia lesson and why it has to be five expatriates.

Aundrea wrote:

I am also curios why it is free. Nothing is free  ;)
and why 5??

hihihii

gimme high five!!

Aundrea wrote:

Looks like you won't need my help, 7 years in Toronto and  your a Torontonian  ;-)
Nuite Blanche is always fun.  I think you just missed CNE and most of the harbour front festival 

Guess you'll have to just do alot of partying downtown and in Montreal  ;-)
When I am there my usual hangout is Babaloos in Yorkville and some of the other Salsa clubs and of course China Town and downtown restaurants.
I lived in Oakville for a few years too before moving downtown.  While you were there did you ever go to Niagara on the Lake wineries?

Thanks for the info on Indonesian Bahasa classes, I am determined to learn;-)

Have fun in the T.   ;-)

Sure will! Thank you.

I sure hope I'm still a Torontonian... lol and no, I never went to the Niagara on the Lake wineries... Doubtful october's a good time for that but I'll look into it (they make ice wines no?). Good reminder.
Heard Montreal parties are such riots, so, looking forward to that. ;)

How long are you staying in Jakarta and in which area are you staying?