Expat doctors in Singapore?!

I am a US doc looking at positions in Singapore. Appreciate hearing experiences/advice from those docs and health workers about working there and also living there, since I don't know what it's like for expats and women to live in Singapore. Also, are expats taxed in Singapore? I know they're not taxed by the country there when working in the Middle East.

First, you need to check if your degree and other credentials are recognized in Singapore (contact the Ministry of Health, MoH, for this).
There are foreign doctors in Singapore, mainly working in hospitals and many of them from third world countries but with degrees from UK. Unless you have niche skills that are rare here, your pay will be lower than in USA. Working hours are longer in any case.
The same income tax rates apply to expats as to everybody else in Singapore. You can check with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS). They are generally lower than in the USA.

Ok. Thanks for the good info

Hi! Yes you'll be working longer hours here and there is no over time pay. It depends at what level you're entering. If you're a medical officer, then that's the lowest. The next is the registrar, it is the equivalent of fellowship there in the US. Their way management here is quite different from the US. Coz they adapt the British system. You can send me a personal message if you have more questions 😊

If you are willing to work in a pharma company you will probably have a more competitive package. There are several medical positions available at jobsdb.

Hello,

Does anyone know what happens for doctors who don't have studied in a medical school listed in SMC?

Do they have any chance to work?

Thank you

chopa wrote:

Does anyone know what happens for doctors who don't have studied in a medical school listed in SMC?
Do they have any chance to work?

Not as a medical doctor.
But you could work in any other job that fits your background.

Greetings everyone,

Those doctors that graduated from NON-SMC listed countries, have they considered/got licensed through Post Graduate Training?

Based on my online research, I came across some Fellowships/Post Graduation Trainings offered by Public and Private hospitals, where they give training to these individuals for a certain duration.

What happens after you complete the training? Does that makes you a licensed medical practitioner in Singapore? Bypassing SMC's criteria of listed countries only?

If someone has more info on this topic, gone through this path, please share.

Regards!