Kitchen/Baking

Hi all!  I was looking at what to bring from the US and what can I just buy in Jordan.  I thought I would ask you guys if you have seen or purchased any of this stuff to help me whittle down my list... and if it's reasonably priced or of good quality.

We were hoping to be able to get:

Bakeware-- muffin/cupcake pans, bread molds, cookie sheets
Parchment paper or silicone baking sheet liners
stainless steel cooking pans of good quality/weight
Utensils-- like rubber spatulas-- I think they have everything else I was thinking of
Gadgets-- like a mandolin, vegetable peelers (I've beard these two are infamously bad), ice cream scoops, garlic press, pastry cutter
Pie stuff-- pastry cloth, marble or French rolling pins, pie pans/glass dishes

My husband feels doubtful that he remembers seeing most of this or says that it was mostly stuff of low quality.  But he wasn't sure if it was in Amman.  I am sure I forgot some things-- I don't feel like digging up my actual list. :) Any ideas? 

I do a lot of baking and work with chocolate.  I know cake flour can be very pricey and iffy over there, and was thinking to try to sneak some in.

Thanks!

Hi Vintageviolet,

You are a woman of my heart :D

Almost all the things you mentioned you can buy it here but like your husband said, most of them bad quality (special for the cooking ware!) and if they are available incredible expensive.
My advise to you is bring all the things you need from the USA.

Now these days you can buy many things, a couple of years ago it was like mission impossible.

My advise to you is bring also a huge amount of vanilla beans or extract, food coloring, good quality of chocolate and that kind of stuff, decorations, piping bags. Lately I found some of these but it is not always available.
You can not imagine how thrilled I was when I saw vanilla beans!

Flour you don't need to bring because they are good.

Oh so they have cake flour now?  I know last time I was there it was a big problem to find it. 

So bittersweet/baking chocolate is on and off in supply? Good tips about the vanilla and food coloring, etc. 

I am most worried about the weight and space of the pots and pans, as well as the baking pans. Since each bag can only be 50lbs before they charge you, that adds up fast!  Also my husband may not want to pay for extra baggage.  I think I could fit a few things though.  It sounds like things are really improving with selection though even if bad quality/expensive is sort of the deal.  I remember back in 2005-2007 it was like no one even knew what I was talking about with pie supplies lol!

Did I mentioned cake flour?
You can only find the normal flour and you have to add some baking powder or baking soda (or both).

There are different types of flour but till know I don't know the differences between them.

Ahh yeah I asked about cake flour and since you said the flour was fine I thought that meant it was there :)  Cake flour is really finely milled and has a totally different protein and gluten content to it.. to create American-style cakes :)

Primadonna--

So I have a friend who goes to Jerusalem she sent me a link.. it looks like you can get great cookware and such of regular American quality and prices in Jerusalem!  So I would think it would probably match European quality as well?  Or at least be a lot closer to the quality you were used to and better in price than the Amman market? 

Just thought I would toss that out there in case that information was useful to you!  Tarte pans and everything! \o/

(Oh and PS-- they also have chocolate supplies and pastry stuff!)

Thanks, I really appreciate that.
Maybe you can send those links to my pm?
Visiting our neighbor land is one of the things that is on my to do list.

A couple of years ago I get a set of pans from a Turkish brand named Korkmaz and I am very pleased with it. Not only for the quality but the design as well.
You can buy it here in some stores.

I'm hoping to get another stainless steel and copper pots and pans set.  I will PM you the link I have!  She says there are a ton of stores, all carrying good things and priced similarly.