Border control and marriage of non-citizen to mauritian citizen

Hi there

Does anyone have any idea about what I need to say to the border control authorities upon arriving in Mauritius as I intend to marry a citizen of the country but am a non-citizen.

Do I have to present some kind of paper work?

Can I get have a civil marriage on a tourist visa?

The information I have been receiving has been extremely mixed from people saying I don't need to mention a word to the border control when i arrive at the airport as it might brew up trouble and some people have got married on tourist visas...but then some have said that it is a MUST to tell them of my intentions and fill in that white paper that you receive in the plane appropriately.

The last thing I want to happen is that I have to come back and reapply and enter the country again....it's extremely costly and time-consuming!

If anyone has had any solid experiences, your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sorry just to be more specific, what did people write on the little white sheet?

Hi melandmike,

Please feel free to go through this link; http://csd.pmo.gov.mu/English/registrat … gners.aspx you might find some useful information. ;)

Please see also this link: http://passport.gov.mu/English/Passport … ation.aspx . Some useful hints can be find here. :)

Best of luck,

David.

great! thanks david :)

Hi,

We phoned the immigration office at the airport in Mauritius, and they said to write "marriage" on the immigration form, and make sure you have a return ticket within 6 months.

Try phoning them and see if they tell you the same thing.

Dan.

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is one clear guideline for this situation. I can only tell you what I've experienced.

Before departure I have been reading a lot about the do's and don'ts. I found out that it should be clarified when entering the country that you intent to get married to your Mauritian partner - to make sure you don't obtain a regular tourist visa. So I wrote down on my paper my purpose of this visit is "marriage". Furthermore because I moved to Mauritius, I quit my job and on therefore I was officially unemployed. This I wrote down at the paper under "profession".

The result of these two things was first of all a talk about money with the man at customs. The smartest thing to do is to bring prove of the money you have. I brought a letter from the bank, but it is more effective to show them the numbers; bring a bank statement of a Euro-account or a Mauritian bank account.

Secondly I was being asked if I was going to attend a marriage or if I was getting married. I clarified it was me who is getting married. The result: a one (!) month visa, clearly stating it is for marriage. The stamp looks the same as a tourist visa, but mine had a different note on it and stated it was for one month, and not the regular 3 months that I expected. I did not try to negotiate about this, for me one month was fine, so I don't know if this 1 month visa is a fixed duration in such cases or if it was randomly given.

Also I had to come into a small office to fill out a paper, that I have entered the country under a one month visa to get married to my partner and disclosing I don't have HIV/AIDS. The man told me this paper will be send to the Civil Marriage Office in Port Louis  -  and for this reason I didn't get a copy of it at the airport.

Before I left my country I also booked a return ticket (for 2,5 months later), to avoid getting any troubles when entering the country. I was not being asked to show this, but to be on the save side I would still advice to you book a ticket to Reunion before your departure.

All I can tell you more is to be prepared. Bring all the papers from your home country which you need for your marriage, for entry to the country and for opening a local bank account. Don't lie about your reasons for visiting and give all contact details of yourself and your partner.

After arrival I advise you to soon go to the office for Civil Marriages in Port Louis. Make sure you go when you have time, to wait and to go from place to place to get things arranged. The people working there are very friendly and will help you clarify everything you need for your marriage. Also they will be able to give you the contact details for example of a lawyer for your affidavit.

Good luck!

Hi guys
thanks for the reply...i think I will just be honest on the landing card as recommended and hope that all goes well????
really appreciate your help

regards

Mel