Can't decide where to live! Help needed please!!!!

Hi everyone,

After lots of deliberation and research I have finally decided to make the move and I will be moving to Malta in February 2014

The thing is, I just can't decide where to live!

I've been looking to start off more central/south, rather than north, just because I think it would be more convenient for work etc.

I'll be self-sufficient for the first 3 months but ideally I would like to find work as soon as possible.

I'm not a youngster looking for nightlife, i'm 51, so i'd prefer somewhere a little less noisy, but not totally dead either.

I would like to see the sea, or be quite close, but that's not a priority, but being close to shops and on a good bus route is.

Being a female on my own I want to feel safe, so no dodgy areas!

It'd also be great if there were a few expats locally to meet up with occasionally too!

All suggestions welcome........please!!!!

Thanks
Kerry.

How can it be close to work if you don't know where you are going to be working?
By that I suggest you stay somewhere short term until you get your work then you decide where to live.
Why stress about it now?
You'll have 3 months to explore and find out for yourself.
Only you can do that.

Thanks for the reply redmik

As I will be relying on buses to get around it made sense to me to base myself more centrally, then I wouldn't be too far from anywhere, but I take on board what you're saying.

Thanks

Kerry

I was not trying to be facetious but practical.
The two areas for access to bus transport are Valletta (Central)  Buggiba (North) and Marsaskala (South). At least that is what I have found but bear in mind I live on Gozo.
If you go here, you can download a network map

arriva.com.mt/file.aspx?f=55

I have found that often it is difficult to go directly from A - B unless one goes via Valletta or another town/village terminus/stop.

May I ask, have you visited Malta? Have you experience of the bus service here?

I am sure there are many, more experienced of the bus services on Malta than I who can help answer your question perhaps.

Also, you say you don't want to live anywhere too noisy so if you want to live close to major bus services then I would suggest that 'centrally' should not include the area between Pembroke and Valletta. Bugibba and Qawra are also main tourist areas but not so noisy and there are some nice places there.
Perhaps the 'Three Cities' area of Cospicua, Vittoriosa, and Senglea would be an area that meets your needs and for you to research?

Good luck.

I agree Red and on top of that, there are the traffic queues to take into account.
Technically, Mosta is most central but everything north of Valletta requires a change of bus to get further south and visa versa (some of the airport buses will go direct.)
I live in st. Pauls Bay and have worked in Zurrieq, uni placements near Qormi and Bormla, all of which take around 2 hours to get to...So although Malta seems small, it really isn't.
Mind you, you don't say what type of work you are looking for, that will also factor in!

I have visited Malta and experienced the buses which were the old ones when I was last there, what fun!!!

However, visiting for a holiday is so different to living in a place permanently,so I thought it would be good to get the opinions of others that have made the move already.

I do like the '3 cities' area though, it's an area that I have been seriously considering, but I think you're right, I shouldn't be stressing right now, i'll have plenty of time to look around once i'm there.

Roll on February!!!:)

itsnowornever wrote:

I do like the '3 cities' area though, it's an area that I have been seriously considering, but I think you're right, I shouldn't be stressing right now, i'll have plenty of time to look around once i'm there.

Roll on February!!!:)

The 3 cities??!!! Are you sure? It is the exact opposite to what you were asking. It's a very Maltese place, no expat community and a place where if you ask most Maltese about, would not wak around at night. unless you worked there, buses to anywhere would be a nightmare as it is so out of the way. On the upside, Bormla market is good!..are you sure you have done your homework?

Obviously not well enough! Perhaps i'll have to re-think that one then.:/

Just goes to prove that what you read doesn't always give you the whole picture.

Oh well! Still another 5 months to do more research!

Thanks for the info.

Kerry

You still haven't said what sort of work you would be looking for as I think that would narrow down your places a bit more.

Caroline

itsnowornever wrote:

Hi everyone,

After lots of deliberation and research I have finally decided to make the move and I will be moving to Malta in February 2014

The thing is, I just can't decide where to live!

I've been looking to start off more central/south, rather than north, just because I think it would be more convenient for work etc.

I'll be self-sufficient for the first 3 months but ideally I would like to find work as soon as possible.

I'm not a youngster looking for nightlife, i'm 51, so i'd prefer somewhere a little less noisy, but not totally dead either.

I would like to see the sea, or be quite close, but that's not a priority, but being close to shops and on a good bus route is.

Being a female on my own I want to feel safe, so no dodgy areas!

It'd also be great if there were a few expats locally to meet up with occasionally too!

All suggestions welcome........please!!!!

Thanks
Kerry.

Hi Kerry,

If you looking for somewhere central, then Birkirkara or Balzan would be suitable to you. I live in Balzan and to be honest, I cannot complaint. It's about 5 mins walking to Birkirkara where you can get mostly the buses to Valletta, Sliema, St Julian's, Pembroke and so on. From here to Valletta, it takes about 15-20 mins by bus and the same from here to Sliema. The good think is that mostly of the buses go to Valleta and from there, you can take a bus to anywhere in Malta.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info mantonas, that's very helpful.

One of my worries is how long it can take to get from A to B on the buses, but 15-20 mins to Valletta etc sounds ok, so i'll explore the Balzan area a little more now.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Kerry

itsnowornever wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm not a youngster looking for nightlife, i'm 51, 

Kerry.

Whaaaaaaaat!!!! 

I'm 54 and am always on the look out for a good party, hoedown, get-together. My lads (21, 24, 27) still like me having a drink in town with them (every now and again....I might add)

Grow old disgracefully Kelly...........it's much more fun.

:D

MikeInPoulton wrote:

Grow old disgracefully Kelly...........it's much more fun.

:D

Well said Mike,exactly what I'm doing :cool:

hi..iam new here..can help me somebody with next questions: it is faraway Naxar from Qrendi? there is the job of my housband in Qrendi...if he take alaways the bus..and how is Naxxar like town comparative with Sliema? we have to moving in Naxxar next month and i realy do now nothing about this..it is dificould for me to work in ST.Giulien if i live in Naxxar...all adviceses will be helpfoul for me..:)...(sorry for my english)

Naxxar to qrendi is about 1h 15 mins by bus
silema ferries to qrendi is about 1h 4 mins both involve changing buses just outside valletta so essentially neither here or there.
Naxxar is less touristy then silema , as it is inland
you could still work in st julians if you got a bus , - i live in marsaxlokk and my partner works in silema and i work in bugibba so its not that bad .. (bus issues aside )