Happy to join this group.

While I feel like an expat at times, I am not! I am Dominican born but spent 8 years in the USA and Canada.

I am an unemployed architect (actually, I use the term "semi-retired" because it sounds nicer) turned web publisher, freelance writer and translator/interpreter. So, you see, the recession got to me too. But what's been a constant throughout my long career is that I am passionate about everything I do. It feels like playing instead of working.

Likewise I enjoy assisting (potential) expats, particularly Americans and Canadians, in learning about the D.R. and adjusting to life and business here. It's my way of paying back for the hospitality I received earlier in my life when I lived in those countries.

I hope to have a chance to meet some of you, make new friends and -- who knows? -- maybe get married again (girls only, please!).

Cheers,
LUIS

Welcome Luis!!!! As someone who knows Luis well, I can say he is well informed articulate and honest! We look forward to your input  Luis.

Let me add my welcome as well. I am sure that your knowledge and experience will be an asset to the forum

Bob K

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I just read this interesting article which I'd like to share with all existing and prospective members of the forum, but being new I'm not sure under which categories to post it, so I'd like your advice.

businessinsider.com/people-who-work-in-paradise-2013-8?utm_source=alerts&nr_email_referer

Hi Luis.
It's nice to have a new contributing member! We share a love for writing and translating...my mom was French and my father from Venezuela, so those were my first two languages. I later studied in Geneva to become a translator. Currently semi-retired like you, I enjoy living in Jarabacoa because the weather is truly enjoyable here. Do you enjoy traveling?

Hi Michita

Thanks for the welcome message. Yes, I like to travel; in fact, I've been involved in the tourism industry for a long time -- started out as a tour operator and more recently, I've published travel and tourism magazines. It's a long story and perhaps some day we'll meet and I can tell you about it.

I speak some French too. My grandfather was French and my mother had the option of claiming French nationality but never exercised it. What sort of writing and translation work do you do?

I love Jarabacoa, but haven't been there in the past few years. I was discussing with Darlene the idea of holding events for members of this forum to get to know each other personally. What do you think? Are there enough of us to warrant this? How many members are there in Jarabacoa? If you like the idea, what do you think is the best way to implement it?

Cheers,
LUIS

I don't know if there are enough expat members in "la capital", someone must have the breakdown by area, no? It would be nice to get together once in a while, maybe Darlene has some ideas...

Jarabacoa is unique because of the weather and beautiful scenery. It is growing as more tourists come for mountain and river sports and decide to stay.

My bus. partner and I make websites (JamacadeDios.com, etc.), and we also have our own sites to promote tourism in Dominicana. Basically that is the translation work I do now. In addition, I have been writing a book in English: "Sankified", and I teach Spanish and French to friends and acquaintances. Like you, I am semi-retired but can't sit still!

What real estate market are you dealing with?

I will see if I can find out numbers and areas for members.  No reason we cannot organize a get together!

I am up for it but won't be back home till mid October

Bob K

Hi, Michita

To answer your question, I run a B2B website on real estate development. Our target market is not the end-buyer of real estate products but the developer, financier and everyone involved in the production. It's currently being remodeled and migrated. When we're done I will invite you to visit it.

I'm glad Darlene thought it was a good idea to hold an offline event of some kind. I will help her organize it. Don't know whether the first one should be in Santo Domingo, Jarabacoa or Las Terrenas. What do you think?

Lets see what our numbers look like first and then we can set something up!  I know there are a few of us in Santo Domingo,  a number of people on the north coast and a few in Punta Cana.

Can we say ROAD TRIP???  LOL

Yep, ROAD TRIP sounds a lot more appealing! The question is, should it be incoming or outgoing (for those in the capital).

The idea came up because a long time ago when I consulted for a real estate association, I organized working excursions for brokers from the various regions to get to know one another and share properties.

Any more suggestions from the group?

I would love an excuse to go back to Jarabacoa, it's been years since I was last up there.

A meeting sounds great wherever it is more convenient and fun for everyone. Darlene, you said a while back you wanted to visit Jarabacoa, the invitation stands!
If anyone wants to spend a night or more here in Jarabacoa, the Hotel California is very adequate and runs around 1000Pesos/night. It is 5 min. walking distance to town, and they have a website.
We will probably also have 4 bdrms/bthrms. available after the 18th  as we are planning a B&B at our place.
Let me know if I can be of help...

THANKS that sounds awesome!!!!!   I would love to go to Jarabacoa.  Lets finish this round up of people and see what we can plan!!!!