Communication for newcomers (from Philippines)

hi everyone...my dad left for Dessie, Ethiopia...i just wanna know if it is common that we are having a hard time connecting with him...before leaving our country, he bought a roaming Sim card for Globe Telecom...i am having this doubt that his sim is not working in Ethiopia...he has not connected via internet yet, can anyone tell me the process of availing an access to the Net when one first arrives in Ethiopia so i can help lessen my mom's worries...thanks a lot=)

Hi...I really hope that someone would respond.it would be a great help.thank you

some times it can be difficult with networks. you dad can go to the local telecom and ask the best connection or he can buy the local sim card and top-up money and call.

good luck

Tnx hirut.fisher:-)
We're just too worried since it's his first time to stay in Ethiopia....hope he'll have a great stay though

Thanks again:-)

Dessie one of the peaceful city north east Ethiopia but infrastructure is not well established network connecation very slow and minimum mobile phone and land line phone so good you have to buy the local Sim to make a call and well known hotel and intranet caffe had broadband network but I am assure you are father will have a lof of fun hope this help.

hey there! the telecom service in Ethiopia is too poor, especially these days. it is very difficult to make even local calls. but i hope your father is doing well. Ethiopians are nice to foreigners. perhaps you should try email or facebook.

Don't be negative Helen it is not that so bad you can still make a call as I said network upgrade needed Ethiopia currently undertake a lot of upgrading the telecom service with a Chinese firm that include the regional Ethiopia Dessie Rome is not build one day as well.

Thakns for your assurance and peces of advice..al well tken...thanks agAin...he's doing great there...he'd called with a local sim he bought in dessie..and we also conversed via skype wyl he is in a hotel....just lyk wt u said:-) :-) :-)