Moving to Medellin next week Health Insurance Question

As an American, can I purchase private health insurance in Colombia ?

Thanks

Cedula Cedula Cedula first......Thereafter you can join a plan. In Colombia they are based on your income. Of course they accept cash for medical services.

Yes... Cigna, Sura,   bupa...   are all selling insurance... Sura is local and is the best bargain I think.  The costs depend on your age and pre-existing conditions can limit your coverage or disqualify you.  It's not like Obamacare where pre-existing conditions cannot be considered.

Medicare does not travel outside the US unless you are working for a US corp or are a congressperson.  Us old folks need to fly to the US for treatment under Medicare.  And that's a shame because medical care costs one twentieth of what it costs in the US so Medicare is missing out on a bargain by being limited to the border.

You might consider going "naked" since Medical costs here are ridiculously low while medical care is at a very high standard and convenient and not broiled up in red tape of gatekeepers.  For example, if you need eye care you can go directly to the ophthalmologist and often be seen that same hour.  I did that and the appt, the care, the drops, the exam, the follow up and a prescription for new  glasses cost $40!!!!  That's Forty!  And the doctor was fully equipped and spoke English!!!

I needed major surgery on my busted arm...  and a hospital stay of 9 days cost $18, 000 complete.  Imagine what that would cost in the US!!!!  So if you have some resources going naked is a gamble but a good one to consider.

There are plenty of insurance companies here with great plans. I assume you are under 60 years old so there is no rejection. Also being born on Pearl harbor day won't be set back since they are numb to American history.

Any tips for signing up if you don't speak spanish? Is there someplace I can visit in person?

First $18000 its not cheap in Ukraine it would cost you $1800 , almost no one pays in USA full medical cost if they do not have insurance unless they ae millioners !

Hospitals write it off , or will arange you monthly payment of $5 !

So paying $18000 and be happy for it !!! Hmmm

polmir wrote:

First $18000 its not cheap in Ukraine it would cost you $1800 , almost no one pays in USA full medical cost if they do not have insurance unless they are millionaires !

Hospitals write it off , or will arrange you monthly payment of $5 !

Five dollars a month:  don't be redonculous. :cool:

cccmedia

we talking 18,000 of US dollars, Ukraine Money or Colombian Peso?

cause 18,000 COP, is not bad.

This however is still a great topic.
I've got a few years of just no insurance and makes me wonder if I really need it?
If shit hits the fan and I need to be hospitalized I can pull money from a few areas to cover it and the (2) times that I already landed in a hospital I was able to simply pay out of pocket. (Both times where not life-threating issues)

I was in the US in 2014 and went to a clinic for a quick check in on a bad flu and it cost me over $900 after some blood work and a pat on the shoulder with advice to rest more.

When I first looked at SURA for some coverage here, I got the impression that the monthly was a bit high and the Bible of what they do cover, won't cover along with all the variables just turned me off.

If you have asthma or any respiratory problems get adequate coverage because according to reports: about 1 Medellin resident dies every 3 hours due to pollution.

Last year 3000 people in Medellin died of causes related to pollution. The municipality of Medellin often releases "Red Alerts", when pollution is too high and outdoor sporting events are banned. There have been a few Red Alerts this year already, and last year pollution was so severe that the airport had to be shut down.

Red alert: Medellin air pollution kills 6 times more people than guns

Medellin Airport closed due to excessive pollution

Is this common or an anomaly when it doesn't rain much?

Landstryker wrote:

Is this common or an anomaly when it doesn't rain much?

Anomaly.

I've been in Medellín for a total of about four months out of the past 12 months .. and am not aware of there being any red alerts during my stays here.

The red alert from last year occurred before I got here .. and was imposed during an El Niño phenomenon in an exceptionally dry period of time.

The Expat-friendly sector El Poblado has relatively good air compared with some high-pollution zones such as El Centro and Itaguí.

cccmedia in El Poblado, Medellín

CCCCCmedia, are you still going to be in MDE in mid August? I'm flying in and getting on a bus to Eje Cafetero. I'll spend a night or two in MDE maybe.  I'll buy you a beer somewhere if we cross cities at some point.

I have probably mentioned this before?  But a amigo living here in Colombia has only 30% lung capacity.  I know that he had this condition while in the states.  He has Colombian health insurance and was recently admitted to the hospital for a staph infection.  He spent four days in the hospital and had medical care in his home for seven days.  Cost out his pocket was $0.00. 

He also had medical testing here done on his lungs and the same testing done back in the states last year.  The results should the same in the states and Colombia.  Which shows that Colombia doctors and hospitals are above standard.

Brandon,

I expect to be in Medellín for most of August.

Send me a PM when you arrive.

cccmedia in Medellín