Single Guy moving to Thailand but where to Rent (?)

Hi guys,

I'm leaving sunny Scotland in the UK and moving out to Thailand soon for anywhere between 6 months to 2 years or more.

I'm a single guy, 33 years old and looking for some advice on the best place to rent while meeting the following criteria:

- 1 bedroom or studio
- ADSL/Broadband Internet is a must as I work from home and would prefer to have high speed if possible.
- Fitness center or gym within walking distance.
- Hot water.
- Air conditioning.
- Fully Furnished.
- I'd prefer to cut rental cost slightly by living just outside Bangkok (10 miles max) but not at the expense of fast/reliable internet access.
- Somewhere within walking distance to the coast would be brilliant.

I'm still researching the country and Bangkok in particular so any extra advice is more than appreciated, especially visa advice.

I play online poker for a living which might not lend itself to obtaining a long term visa.  I was in the British Royal Air Force for 12 years as a Policeman but have no real transferable job related qualifications.

Along with my own searches on the internet I've also read this topic on your boards which gave some very helpful advice and website links:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62538

Best Regards,

Davey

WanLangPeee wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm leaving sunny Scotland in the UK and moving out to Thailand soon for anywhere between 6 months to 2 years or more.

I'm a single guy, 33 years old and looking for some advice on the best place to rent while meeting the following criteria:

- 1 bedroom or studio
- ADSL/Broadband Internet is a must as I work from home and would prefer to have high speed if possible.
- Fitness center or gym within walking distance.
- Hot water.
- Air conditioning.
- Fully Furnished.
- I'd prefer to cut rental cost slightly by living just outside Bangkok (10 miles max) but not at the expense of fast/reliable internet access.
- Somewhere within walking distance to the coast would be brilliant.

I'm still researching the country and Bangkok in particular so any extra advice is more than appreciated, especially visa advice.

I play online poker for a living which might not lend itself to obtaining a long term visa.  I was in the British Royal Air Force for 12 years as a Policeman but have no real transferable job related qualifications.

Along with my own searches on the internet I've also read this topic on your boards which gave some very helpful advice and website links:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62538

Best Regards,

Davey

Hi,
First of all welcome to this forum, secondly if you intend to live in Bangkok then Sukhumvit and Silom areas are full of single bed condos including all the facilities you have mentioned in your post plus these areas are accessable via sky train as well as underground.
You are only 33 years old and if you are a university graduate you can work here as a teacher which will provide you a non immigrant long term visa and work permit.
Many other suggestions will follow by posters on this forum so good luck.

Cheers

If your interest is Bangkok then its best to stay along sky train or subway routes.  As previous poster says there are many apartments and condos that provide everything your desire.

Walking to the coast from Bangkok is not an option even from the fringes of the city because its to far.

If you desire coastal living then you might consider Pattaya or Hua Hin.

It might help if you mention budget you have for apartment.

Another visa option will be an education visa for learning Thai language or something else you desire to learn.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not a university graduate so teaching is out of the question even if I had the time.

The education visa sounds like a good option.  I'd be interested in learning Thai in any case.  I really want to spend a minimum of 6 months in the country but preferably 1 year or more.

Cheap living is one of the things that have attracted me to Thailand so my rent budget would be <20,000. 

I'm still a newbie so any other useful information is more than welcome.

Thanks again,

Davey

Hi. you can find accommodation along the Sukhumvit road from On Nut area, not far fm BTS station with the rent around 13,000baht/month for 1 bed room condo with facilities as your requirement. Let try this site mybangkokhome.com, Mr. Wong. I used this agent and found good place to rent with good price. Also if you want a long term visa, contact me in private message and I can give you info.