Moving to Malta?

Hi my name is James and I'm looking for some information on moving to Malta. I currently stay in Scotland

I will be honest and say I don't have much money in the bank and was seriously thinking about just buying flights, renting somewhere for a month and chancing my arm at getting a job. Would it be this straight forward?

I have many years experience in sales and management within telecommunications and at present I'm working for BT in a sales role.

Is work easy to come by and what paperwork or forms would be required to make this move possible?

Hi James.

Once you find work you and your employer will need to complete what I believe is called an ETC this will normally cost around 50 euro's or so.

Good luck pal

Thanks Jordan this is very helpful. In regards to property to rent though can you recommend anywhere at all?

Dat avatars.

Hyperthron wrote:

Dat avatars.

Not really the information he was looking for I think.

Thats a good one !

'Complete an ETC  for 50 € '

jordanjenkins53 wrote:

Hi James.

Once you find work you and your employer will need to complete what I believe is called an ETC this will normally cost around 50 euro's or so.

Good luck pal

Belief is when you don't really know !

Cheers
Ricky

Am I going to get anything concrete here from anybody or am I just blowing smoke in mirrors

jordanjenkins53 wrote:
Hyperthron wrote:

Dat avatars.

Yes i know, im sorry but ....dat avatars.
As for the question.
Have you ever been in Malta ?
Is there any place you can come back in Scotland if you fail ?

There are people who found their jobs within two weeks, there are some who struggled for months. Also in my opinion you need a little bit more money, at least for six months and a "quick exit".

yeah been to Malta many of times on holiday and have a few friends that live out there. Money isn't really a problem, i'll have enough for a few months rent and money to live and emergency cash for flight home if all fails.

Hyperthron wrote:
jordanjenkins53 wrote:
Hyperthron wrote:

Dat avatars.

Yes i know, im sorry but ....dat avatars.
As for the question.
Have you ever been in Malta ?
Is there any place you can come back in Scotland if you fail ?

There are people who found their jobs within two weeks, there are some who struggled for months. Also in my opinion you need a little bit more money, at least for six months and a "quick exit".

In your opinion what is the easiest kind of work to find if there was an easiest kind. Also what would be the best time of year to move again if any?

Hi james,

you are 26 , have enough money to stay 6 months without work and money to leave.

Perfect conditions to give it a try.

I don't think there is any good or bad time of the year to make the move unless you are looking for a job in the hospitality/tourist section.

If you have friends here they should be able to guide you with the job question.

And you don't need 'an ETC for 50 €' ....that is bullshit-)))

Cheers
Ricky

one of my friends just stays with her parents and the other just transferred over there with a gaming company so didn't have the problems of finding work. I wouldn't say 6 months maybe 2/3 months maximum I could afford.

In regards to work I am willing to do anything at all out there as long as it's a source of income. In regards to property is it easy to get a lease? I've looked and believe it wouldn't be a long term lease i should get to start with and maybe a holiday lease?

thanks again

Hi raezor,

you should try to avoid a holiday lease as it is obviously more expensive but you could find it difficult getting a lease term of less than 6 months, especially in the summer months.

Usual terms are 1 months rent safety deposit and 1/2 months rent for the agent (if you use an agent).

Long-term lease would be 1 year or more.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for this Ricky. I am trying to secure a job before I get there but feel the likelihood of this is they would rather hire locals.

It will probably be November/December time before the move will happen I imagine although as I said I am contemplating just getting a flight and hotel for a week and seeing if I could secure maybe bar work or something in that time frame haha

Hi raezor,

hardly anybody finds workin with a few months! You think you will make it in 1 week? Most places are closed over the winter.

At least hotels and flights are cheap then! (That is also the reason why there are not many jobs available)

Cheers
Ricky

Never said I would make it in a week I said I would try. I understand people better than me have probably tried and failed when moving over there but one thing I know is I am willing to make a good go of it.

I'm one of the most successful salesman in my company and if I can't sell myself then I'm a pretty terrible sales guy ain't I?

ricky wrote:

Hi raezor,

hardly anybody finds workin with a few months! You think you will make it in 1 week? Most places are closed over the winter.

At least hotels and flights are cheap then! ( also the reason why there are not many jobs available)

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky

When would you say that the season starts again as surely it would be best to travel over just before it starts to try and secure a job and property as people are preparing to open up again.

Just looking for some advice from somebody who has clearly made the move successfully so that we have the best chance possible at making it. Obviously having some money behind you is a given. What else would you say is crucial to making the move.

Thanks
Jordan

Hi raezor,

if you stay within the communication business you have three companies to choose from:
GO,Melita and Vodaphone.

The phone market is saturated in Malta as elsewhere. They stopped salespeople hanging around Valletta molesting visitors so now it is more based in mobile phone shops that are sprouting up on every corner and on cold calls at every time of the day. Most of the salespeople seem to be Maltese so you could have a good chance there. No idea what the pay is like though.

If you are a good salesman look into the timeshare business! They usually have a few vacancies although the regular staff I see have been on the job for years.

If you are looking for a job in the hospitality/tourism industry March is probably the time when hotels and restaurants start recruiting.

There are several companies including HSBC looking for native English speakers to serve on their customer call lines.

I'm only here in Malta because I don't have to earn money ! If I did I would most certainly not try it here in Malta-)))

Cheers
Ricky

Both HSBC and Northway Brokers (a Wonga type company) are always advertising for fresh meat.... but many fail to make the grade. if successful the money is good as is the accompanied social circle/life. and they only deal with British customers so the language isnt an issue.

6months money behind you is the ideal - some have done it on less but theyve been very lucky. If you are prepared to work hard, long hours, low wages, chop and change jobs regularly then you could do it.... be lucky - and good luck to you

Hello,

I live in malta, i came in march with no plan.

I had a room to stay in but no job. Found a crappy job in the first week. saved for deposit, now live in Bugibba.

I now work for gumtree the website, you may of heard of it. they are recruiting btw so may be an idea. Wages are good in comparison to accommodation and living costs etc.

There are companies like northway and HSBC that will employ english people and you have experience so its better.

Life here is good but takes a little getting used to.

Good points are the weather, beer is cheap and mos people are friendly.

Bad points are driving in malta or being a passenger in a car is scary! the driving it very different over here.

I hope you move over, atleast you can say youve done it! :)

Makingit wrote:

Hello,

I live in malta, i came in march with no plan.

I had a room to stay in but no job. Found a crappy job in the first week. saved for deposit, now live in Bugibba.

I now work for gumtree the website, you may of heard of it. they are recruiting btw so may be an idea. Wages are good in comparison to accommodation and living costs etc.

There are companies like northway and HSBC that will employ english people and you have experience so its better.

Life here is good but takes a little getting used to.

Good points are the weather, beer is cheap and mos people are friendly.

Bad points are driving in malta or being a passenger in a car is scary! the driving it very different over here.

I hope you move over, atleast you can say youve done it! :)

Thanks so much. Great to hear somebody else has done it. A scrappy job will do for the time being a lot like yourself.

I don't suppose you would have a link for the company you work for or have any idea of how to apply that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Jordan

No worries. It was the best thing ive ever done, although i miss home loads!

Ummm its worldaviationgroup.eu/contact-us you should quote that you are moving from UK etc and that you would be interested in a vacancy with in the contact centre. They would defo prefer you to be in malta as they do a 2 stage interview process and then 3 weeks training.  But worth a shot.

HSCB malta would be your best bet i think from your previous experience or melita or go mobile or vodaphone too as they are communications.  These companies operate all year round unlike restaurants and bars in some places.

:) x

Great info made and congratulations on the successful move. Did you just go out on your own?

So tempted just to book a flight and come out and give it a shot!! how much money did you have when you moved out there if you don't mind me asking?

thanks

James

Just to let you all know I am moving over on the 21st of October. I have a job and accommodation sorted and just want to thank all for the advice received :)

raezor1987 wrote:

Just to let you all know I am moving over on the 21st of October. I have a job and accommodation sorted and just want to thank all for the advice received :)

Well done mate.......good to see that you have taken the plunge.

However, you are arriving at the end of the 'really' warm season and it will get a bit chilly from then on (depending on your accommodation it can be freezing in Jan/Feb).  But, if you stick through this 'tough(ish)' period then you will be well set and by the time spring/summer next year comes round you will almost be a local.

What I am saying is bring plenty of woolies and you'll be alright.

Good luck fella

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yeah decided it be better moving earlier so I am all set up come spring/summer next year. In regards to the weather I'm sure I will cope being from Scotland, the winter weather in Malta will be like a really hot summers day to me HAHA and a summers day you will probably find me in the shade somewhere with an ice cold beer. :D

cheers

James