Thinking about marrying my Hugarian boyfriend In Hungary

I am thinking about marrying my Hugarian boyfriend In Hungary. We've discussed it but not really thought about all the hassle and paperwork and the laws about it. Eventually I'd love to settle there with him.

Can you help me in regards to what it will take and will I have to be a resident, will it be translated?

I'm kind of clueless, until I started to read and now my wishes of marrying in Hungary seem pretty much destroyed!!!!
Help!!!!

Hellom MeggieSmith.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Hungary Forum for more visibility.

Thanks.

Karen :)

MeggieSmith wrote:

I am thinking about marrying my Hugarian boyfriend In Hungary. We've discussed it but not really thought about all the hassle and paperwork and the laws about it. Eventually I'd love to settle there with him.

Can you help me in regards to what it will take and will I have to be a resident, will it be translated?

I'm kind of clueless, until I started to read and now my wishes of marrying in Hungary seem pretty much destroyed!!!!
Help!!!!

I cannot really help you directly but I can tell you what happened to me and my Mrs.

I had to get married in an emergency. My Mrs had a bun in the oven and if we were not married, our child would not have been a dual national, but only Hungarian. The child would only get the mother's nationality. The rules were different then.

We looked into it really quickly and it quickly became obvious that it's a lot more complicated in Hungary and we couldn't do it in time before our kid appeared but we could do it in 2 weeks flat in the UK. As it happened, our baby arrived about 2 weeks late and just a month after we tied the knot.

But anyway, apart from the babies, as you are from Wakefield and presumably both EU citizens, consider doing in a UK registry office and then everything will be in English (and no official translations are required!) and the residence requirement is just a couple of weeks. It's all really very easy to arrange in the UK.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150257

my experience is in that thread

I'm going through the process now. 
Be expected to pay a lot of money unless you are really wise about doing things cheap.  The wedding industry seems to put $$ in peoples' eyes, and they know most silly brides will pay.

Check out the link posted by Matthiasdg above, we have a wedding thread there.

When you gather your documents and submit them to the 'mayor's office' or 'town hall' as I call it, you must have a translator present at that time.

Each district has different options and prices.  The 11th district is only open during my F's working hours, so he pretty much has to take a day off work just to submit our papers, and so does our translator :-(  Lots of offices are like that.
If we get married on a Thursday, with no frills, it is free.  If we get married on a Saturday in a 'real' wedding ceremony, with flowers, music, champagne, guests, etc it's like, 30,000 HUF.

Some districts will send the officiant to your location, I'm sure for a ton of money, to be paid to them, and the venue may charge extra as well (the first venue we looked at let us rent for free when we booked the reception dinner.  As soon as they found out we wanted a small ceremony in the garden, they said "50,000 huf".  for no work on their part)

Personally, I'm frustrated because it's SO much easier to do in the US, but then we'd have to pay $450 for a fiance visa.  But with my family and friends' connections, the venue, the catering, the photography, the decor, the flowers, would pretty much be covered by my very creative connections.  Unless you know a lot of people in Hungary, you'll pay through the nose for it.

THEN, once it's done, you need to get the certificate translated back into English, another fee.

So... if you're both already in the same country, where taxes are lower than 27% and you have connections, just get married there.  If you are both very familiar with Hungary and have a lot of time during the day to run errands and get documents, go for it.  But personally, this country is raining on my parade!

Hi.
I married a Hungarian. It's not as hard as you think.

My son married a Hungarian in HU about 10 years back.
He is a dual citizen of the US and HU.
It took a while to get it all set up, they planned on the civil service which is the one that counts in HU and they planned on a church service afterwards to make his wife happy. It took a couple of months to get an appointment for the civil service. Not sure if it still takes so long but I do know it did cost allot. Son had to take "church" classes for 2 months before they could book the venue. He didn't understand a word the priest was saying but they took his money without needing any translation!
The thing to remember if getting married in HU is that if you should ever divorce you must legally register the divorce in HU even if the divorce takes place out of the country. If not you are still legally married by HU laws.

Our son is now divorced from his HU wife and remarried to a Japanese National. He has been lazy to file papers with the HU embassy to tell them of his divorce. At the immigration office in Budapest, I found out he is still registered as married in HU. If he ever sets foot in HU he could be jailed as a bigamist.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

.....on the civil service which is the one that counts in HU and they planned on a church service afterwards to make his wife happy. It took a couple of months to get an appointment for the civil service. Not sure if it still takes so long but I do know it did cost allot. ...

2cts.

I've done the marriage thing a couple of times.

Anyone thinking of getting married, in HU or abroad should only do the civil ceremony.  The rest of it is just money  down the drain and unnecessary.

In the UK (must be similar here), many marriages (perhaps 30% these days?) end in divorce, going through the costume part is just a waste as are the ludicrous lessons to the Church.  Plenty of children are born out of wedlock (it must be well over 50% now in the UK).  The main things are inheritance and citizen rights for kids and the partner. Those can easily be resolved.

So best to keep as much cash for when you really need it and of course, live together (for years) before even thinking of getting married.

Do anyone here  from Indonesia who married with Hungarian citizen?  Cause I really need information about the details about what to do if I want do marriage In hungary... And we have different religion for sure. Please help... Thx

Seanna wrote:

Do anyone here  from Indonesia who married with Hungarian citizen?  Cause I really need information about the details about what to do if I want do marriage In hungary... And we have different religion for sure. Please help... Thx

I'm not from Indonesia.

Your religions do not matter in Hungary.    All marriages are civil marriages.  There are no official marriages in temples, churches or mosques.  You go to the official office, sign the papers taking ID along, wait 1 month and then turn up for the ceremony with witnesses etc.  You might need a certificate that you are allowed to get married (i.e. not married now even  if married before).  Ask your embassy about that.   But search the forum - some others have asked about this.

There are some complications if you want to send any kids to a religious school like being a member of the religion.  But on the other hand, no-one really cares otherwise.

If you want to get married, then just get on and do it!

Congratulations!