Larger Motorbike Rental

Does anyone know you can rent larger motorbikes of 250 cc and up in Ho Chi Minh. Or any places that would rent out enduro bikes. In Hanoi it fairly simple to rent one in the old quarter. In Saigon, it seems fairly impossible.

Flamingo Travel (dot)com (dot) vn have an office in Saigon and Hanoi. They might be able to help.

They go up to HONDA XR 250CC

Thanks Citsym. I rent from them whenever I'm in Hanoi and have a decent collection. I did call them, apparently they don't have anything over 125cc in Ho Chi Minh. They do however offer to ship one over to saigon at the cost of 80 USD.

Hi Citysim,
Saw your reference to larger bikes. Do you know possibly anything about licence restriction or police practice on use of larger bikes in Vietnam? i am on a 150 but want to get a larger bike for trips to Cambodia, Thailand etc.
cheers
Simon

Hi Simon,

Saw your reference to larger bikes. Do you know possibly anything about licence restriction or police practice on use of larger bikes in Vietnam? i am on a 150 but want to get a larger bike for trips to Cambodia, Thailand etc.

I am not an expert in this area, maybe others can help you. The information I have picked up about "larger" (over 175cc) bikes is:
As a rental, the registration through a hire agency "seems" to circumnavigate police issues.
Going from Vietnam to another country, you will have to have "export and import" paperwork readied etc.and if it's over 175cc you could be banned from crossing!

I haven't looked at taking a bike within countries, yet, but I do have a friend that bought a bike in Cambodia, a 650cc, (why, I don't know) and couldn't get it across the boarder into Vietnam. He ended up selling it at a loss in Cambodia.

I guess the best bet is to search on how to Import/export a bike into Vietnam and go from there.
(There are blogs which discuss alternate ways across boarders) your call...

Thanks, Citysym. Cause for caution. I will let you know if I find anything helpful. cheers S

Did anyone ever sort out a place to rent larger motos?  I'd love to rent a 250-500cc bike for longer weekend trips to Nha Trang or the like (my Super Dream isn't likely to make that trip, unfortunately).

Cheers!

It is rare to find larger cc bikes in Saigon relative to Hanoi where one can easily get enduro bike anywhere from 150cc to 400cc. The reason is the demand. Hanoi's north is mountainous and the type of roads really requires bikes larger than a Honda Win.

That being said, I was able to rent a DRZ-400cc bike in Saigon a few months back from Flamingo Travel here. They just opened an office here but are based in Hanoi. The catch is their large cc bikes are only available when there clients rent them for trips from Hanoi to Saigon. If you're lucky you can rent them before they send them back to Hanoi by train. Last week, the owner let me know they had a couple of 250cc bikes available before they'd return them to Hanoi.

You can always try to contact them to see if they have them currently in stock.

Ho Chi Minh City Department:
Address: 19 Do Quang Dau str., Pham Ngu Lao ward, 1 district, HCMC.
Tel: Cell phone: 098.675.1020
Email: [email protected]

If you really want to rent big bike, I can bring you to my friend who is quite well-known for selling and fixing big bikes. Leave me a PM if you really want.

[moderated: thanks you but no thank you + pls post in the housing section]

Hi, I'm looking to rent long term or buy a bigger bike in Saigon 250 - 400cc. Papers are important.
Any suggestions please?

Cheers Mike

[email protected]

Same if anyone know of where I can hire a bigger bike 250cc and up please inbox me, I'll be leaving aus on 23/jan/2015 arriving in Vietnam same date, I'd like to hire a bike for maybe 1-2weeks

Hi Ngan Khanh, I'm looking for a big motorbike for rent as well, can you introduce me to your friend?

Hello damienjamet,

Welcome to Expat.com!

This thread is dated 2013 and you might not get any responses!

I would suggest you to browse through Bikes in Ho Chi Minh City where you may want to place an ad of what you are looking for ;)

Cheers

Mishna