Injection Molds for ABS parts in Vietnam?

Hi all. I am looking to have 2 injection molds produced for ABS plastic injection parts for consumer grade electronics enclosures. I have gotten numerous bids from China (mostly Shenzhen), but would truly rather make them in Vietnam. The bids I got from the only 2 companies that answered in Vietnam were 3-4 times the cost of China ... I need to finalize this and contract molds to be produced in the next 1-2 weeks so the mold can be ready when I arrive in October ... I need 1st production run of parts by early November.

Anyone have any ideas or do I just have to settle and manufacture in China?

Thanks as always for the help.

John

John,

If you and your people don't know those Vietnamese manufacturers personally, and it doesn't sound like you guys do, then I suggest you start in China.  Then, once you are on the ground, you can work on bringing the Vietnamese manufacturers along.

If the Vietnamese put their minds into it, there is no doubt that they can give their Chinese counterparts a run for their money.  But, the problem has always been the lack of attention to details on the part of the Vietnamese.  This wrecklessness has cost them billions (USDs) over the years.  But, they still have yet to learn.

Hi Howie,

That's what I am finding ... This first project I believe I will do in Shenzhen; once I am staying in VN I hope to do the plastic, metal and eventually PCB's in Vietnam. I hear also that China's gov't 'subsidizes' the steel cost to their manufacturers (molds are very heavy) which makes it difficult for other countries to be competitive.

Still owe you that beer when I'm there ... if you can make it to HCMC let me know, if not I'll try to get to Can Tho again.

As always, thanks.

Hi John,

I run and own a sheet metal processing factory here (100 foreign  owned) and we develop and produce (sheet)metal products. I have some contacts about making plastic products, but when the produts becme a little complex then the producers make the molds in China, Taiwan or Thailand and import them into Vietnm for production. So I would recommand you to produce the mould in China, not Vietnam. In Vietnam they say they can do everything, but the results are dissapointing mostly. If you did not see the factory yourself then I would not do business here!!

John,

I used to do garments, and the Vietnamese contractors struggled mightily.  And I knew them and their families personally, they were all in with me.  I had to spoon-feed them almost.  So, go easy and be prepare for a lot of hand-on. 

I am supposed to fly out on the 10th.  But, I am thinking about delaying that for a couple of weeks more.  So, I will probably be back there at about the same time as you.  I have been gone for over 3 months now; I will definitely have to spend time in Saigon, when I get back. 

Look forward to seeing you over there.