Residente Permanente, My Experience FWIW

Two months ago I went into the Zacatecas INM office and asked about the rules for changing from Temporal to Permanente.  They gave me 4 xeroxed pages of step by step.

When I went to work through it, I noticed that www.inm.gob.mx had changed quite a bit.  The complete list of requirements doesn't seem to appear as you work through the process online.  I suggest you stop in at an INM office and get the list of requirements from them, such as 3 photos (2 front, 1 profile), a letter stating you want to go from temporary to permanent based on having completed 4 years as temporal, you still have US income sufficient to support yourself, 3 months bank statements showing you still have the level of income you reported last year...  There are others, I'm, that aren't listed on the website.  Make it easy on yourself and ask before you appear with a wad of papers in your hand.  One good thing is that if you are changing after 4 years as Temporal, the strict income requirements don't apply.  My income is about 10% less than the published requirement.

At any rate, you go to www.inm.gob.mx and along the righthand side you'll find "Tramites Migratorios." Click it.
Then "Estoy en Mexico." Then "Cambio de Condicion." And then "De Residente Temporal a Residente Permanente."  It is all in in Spanish but pretty much self explanatory.

I prepared my paperwork on Fri. Aug. 16 and showed up at INM at 9:15 AM on Monday.  I was the only one in the office so I got attended to rightaway.  It took maybe 15 minutes for the young lady to make sure everything was in order.  Then she told me, "the 'Licenciado' has to sign off on everything before I can take your fingerprints.  I'll print "Hojas de Ayuda" for the two payments you have to make at the bank, one for $3815MXN for the Residente Permanente and one for $1000MXN for Revision de Documentos."  The bank was a 3 block walk. I actually waited in line for 20 minutes longer than I needed to.  About 60 people were lined up for 1 transaction only.  After the line moved a bit, I noticed an empty line for multiple transactions. 2 payments are multiple.  I got receipts and was back at INM 45min. after I left.

By now, there were about a dozen other applicants waiting.  The receptionist took my receipts and asked me to have a seat.  5 min later, the same young lady who helped me earlier called me up, took my fingerprints, had me sign a few forms and said that was all.  I told her I had appointments in the US on the 29th and 30th and wished to apply for "Permiso de Salir y Regresar" and I had the application ready.  She said that there was a good chance the Residente Permanente would be back by today, Mon Aug. 26, and anyway the Permiso is issued the same day so I could save myself $320MXN if I waited.

This morning I was having breakfast at Vips when my cel rang at 9:15 AM and it was INM saying my Residente Permanente was ready to pickup.  It took me 15 min. to get over there and another 5 min. to verify that the data on the card was correct and sign a receipt for the card.

All in all a pretty painless process.

can anyone tell me all the benefits of being a permenente resedente,i live here full time 17,years ,my father who is 90 is temp-resident,jerked him around for the $$$,I heard we shouldn't be paying taxes,are cpa is,surprising us with high ones that we never had to pay before,going to the hacienda to check this b/s out,what if any,dont want to vote,but heard the voting card is good to have a i.d.card of residence??,also heard,diff if your 62,and older with a senior card can get a small Mexican pension of 1000,peso every other month is this true???thanks hope I get some answers,cher

I got my Residente Permanente over a year ago.  Rules may have changed.

I'm not sure I understand all the questions, but here goes.

Residente Permanente doesn't make you a Mexican citizen.  You can't vote.
The biggest advantage is you don't have to renew every year, you pay once to go from temporal to permanente and that's all for the rest of your life..  The only time you have to go back to INM is if you change your address.

If you're over 60,62,65, I'm not sure which, you can work without getting a separate work permit.

If you earn money in Mexico, you pay Mexican taxes.  Foreign(non Mexican) income is not taxed by Mexico as far as I know.  If you get US Social Security or other income from the US, you still have to pay US taxes on that income.

What senior card are you talking about?  The INAPAM card?  I don't know anything about that.

I hope this helps some, but you should search the Internet and/or go to the nearest INM office to find out for sure.  You can also look at www.inm.gob.mx.

I'm surprised you don't have an INAPAM card! It has saved me a lot of money in the 15 years I've had mine. You get it from DIF, and they'll give you a list of what you need. The usual little photos, proof of residence, etc.and it doesn't cost anything. But with it, you get a big discount on bus fares, internal Mexican flights, museums and historical sites. You also sometimes get discounts at  pharmacies for medicine. My local Chedraui pharmacy gives a 10% discount, It's also good for identification, and seems to get you a lot of respect..

The INAPAM card has saved me a bunch since I arrived in 2008.  I travel a lot by bus and the 50% discount makes a big difference.  Even local buses give me a discount.  3.50MXN vs. 6.50MXN.  Almost not worth bothering.  Sam's, WalMart and Sorianna give a 10% discount on prescriptions but I have found that Farmacias Similares and one local "brand name" pharmacy have prices that beat the supermarkets by a lot more than 10%.  There are "brand name pharmacies" that offer 30% and more discounts without a card.  Vips, El Porton and other national chain restaurants offer a 10% discount but these two chains have loyalty programs that average around a 20% discount.

I did an Internet search and did verify that INAPAM has a food pension of 580MXN a month payable every other month.

Unless you have a very high income, IMSS at about $300USD/yr and Seguro Popular at no charge provides medical care and fixed lists of prescription meds at no extra cost.  Seguro Popular will sell you prescription meds that are not on their list at cost if they can get them.

I do have IMSS insurance, but I will only use it for emergencies. I pay a little higher rate, being over 80, but private medical assistance is so economical and convenient I usually use a private doctor for the few complaints I have.

True,

hey I am an Indian, planning to live abroad, how is Mexico? I am a freelance content writer , and have a budget of 1K USD a month. I need a decent accommodation, with bath attached and electricity and internet.  also, I am 35 and looking for some socializing, parties , please help me with  information on Mexico for such requirements.

Fascinating. How long have you been in Mexico.   I retire at age 66 this summer and would love to spend my winters in mexico.   I worry that im.too old to adapt.  All information is appreciated,  especially related to being an older adult.

What is a food pension?

latebloomer wrote:

hey I am an Indian, planning to live abroad, how is Mexico? I am a freelance content writer , and have a budget of 1K USD a month. I need a decent accommodation, with bath attached and electricity and internet.  also, I am 35 and looking for some socializing, parties , please help me with  information on Mexico for such requirements.

You need to be more specific as to where you want to live in Mexico.
Please read through the posts in the forum categories list on the right hand side of this page for information.
Try www.numbeo.com for cost of living.
Click on the housing section at the top of this page for possible places to rent.

What us the card you are talking about? INPAM?

INAPAM Senior Discount Card

An INAPAM card is an ID card issued by the Instituto Nacional de Las Personas Adultos Mayores identifying the bearer as qualified for certain senior citizen's discounts ranging from 50% fare reductions on interstate luxury buses to museums, galleries, national parks, etc.  The savings on long-distance bus trips can be substantial.  Some bus lines limit the number of "INAPAM seats" available on a bus.

The INAPAM card will also get you discounts on prescription drugs at certain pharmacies such as most big box stores. In addition, some cities offer a 50% discount on property taxes and water bills.

The card may be obtained from your local DIF office.  The card is free.  You must be at least 60 years old.  You will need your birth certificate, passport, visa card (not a Visitante), proof of address, and some pictures.  The DIF office will tell you their exact requirements. You will need a CURP.