Being a Successful Expat in the Philippines

As an expat who is also a professional, I have learned that in order to be successful here, one must religiously exercise the following:

1. Be aggressive
2. Be compassionate
3. Be flexible

I am married many years to a Filipina and have travelled extensively in Asia and the Philippines. I would tend to agree with two and three, but number one (aggressive) I guess you would have to explain that some more. If any one action will get you in trouble in the Philippines, it would be being overly aggressive. In business and in the social, for an expat to be "aggressive" only leads to issues.

Dear Ponani,
By aggressive, I am referring to continuously marketing, working long hours, and constantly building up your reputation.  Thanks for your input!

Then I agree. A hard lesson for many Kano in the PI is that business is not simply done in the same manner. It is all about contacts, relationships, building "bridges" with others. You may go to a meeting and the topic or reason for the meeting may not come up until you are heading to the door on your way out ( occasionally not until the day after!).  It is changing, but not much yet.

Bridgeway wrote:

As an expat who is also a professional, I have learned that in order to be successful here, one must religiously exercise the following:

1. Be aggressive
2. Be compassionate
3. Be flexible

Bridgeway,

I've passed a lot of bars too, mostly in Cebu, but I've passed some in Manila as well. It's no big deal, most of the Expats here in the Philippines have spent ample time in "the bar", it's easy enough to say, that some of us are on the professional bar level... We know all about them.

[Could you be a bit more specific as to what "successful" means?]

Sometimes just getting across town, to bars, I consider being successful.

Please clarify: -- are you making money or living off of inheritance?

Sincerely.

Ramblingroads wrote:
Bridgeway wrote:

1. Be aggressive
2. Be compassionate
3. Be flexible

Bridgeway,

I've passed a lot of bars too, mostly in Cebu, but I've passed some in Manila as well. It's no big deal, most of the Expats here in the Philippines have spent ample time in "the bar", it's easy enough to say, that some of us are on the professional bar level... We know all about them.

[Could you be a bit more specific as to what "successful" means?]

Sometimes just getting across town, to bars, I consider being successful.

Please clarify: -- are you making money or living off of inheritance?

Sincerely.

Rambingroads, I think you probably were in the bar when you responded to this one...LOL..