Torn between moving to the D.R. or not?

Hi,
Do it!!

I was also raised in Canada. Ottawa to be exact. And that's all I knew. My family is from Europe and so I grew up in a household constantly listening to what the world is like outside of the depressing, political, monotone lifestyle Canada offers.

To make a longer story short, I decided to move to the D.R.I am also a teacher and I teach here. I have been here 10 years now. I go back "home" every couple years to visit some family. And I can't stand it. I usually end up leaving earlier to return to the D.R then expected.

Life here is very relaxing, everything is done at your own pace.There is no red tape here, no customer service ques for hours. No taxes, however no pensions :(, everything you make is yours, everything you purchase is yours. Your sole responsibility is to yourself here. Many many many foreigners live here. So you find friends, and great deals, and helpful people. And the best part is, its always sunny !! No more grey skies, bus stops in the snow, living indoors. Here you enjoy weekend getaways to the mountains, days at the nearest beaches, friends are always having bbq's or some type of events.

But the cost of this living style is you have no protection. Meaning no financial security, customer service doesn't exist, if its broken - its broken. People both native and foreign may try to take advantage of your little experience here and so you might pay double for something then what its really worth. The law system is a joke, and the hospitals are basic. Now medical care here is private and very affordable. And we do have some great fantastic hospitals and Doctors here, you just need to search.

All in all, come down for a year, apartments are cheap and life will be easy, then make your decision.

Good Luck,

P.s.

If you are a city girl, Santo Domingo is like Toronto/New York mix, Highrises, crime, endless traffic but lots of diversion.

Suburbs girl, Santiago is nice, I would almost compare it to Ottawa. its a valley, far from the ocean but you get a more calm city feeling.

Relaxing town lifestyle / outdoorsy girl, Puerto Plata is a good spot, it's small, good community, its a beach town. This is where I live :)

Great post but you should copy it and put it in the "introduce yourself" thread

Bob K

Nice post!!!!  I agree with pretty much all your sentiments.  Only I don't go back to visit. Anyone wants to see me comes here...LOL

I feel the same. In the last 7+ years I have been back to the US for a total of 33 days.

My family and friends come here to visit me!

Bob K

Great post POLACA, it's almost sounds like me (a winter worn canuck) in a few more years, and can image myself writing my feelings exactly like this, just wish i could advance time some....and then maybe not !
:cool:

hey i'm not there yet, but after reading about other places, like urugary, ha suupose to so great a place, italy,well ok,Pamana, nope, Costa Rica, too many American's there.Mexico, are you out of your mind. and then theres the Philippines,ok #3 on the list,but still way too dirty for me.So believbe me the D.R. is the place to move to. Good luck.Mark

mpatti65 Welcome to the forum.  Have you visited here before. If not you should take a month or so and come explore. While not for everyone many of us who have relocated here are very happy living here.

Bob K

Yes, welcome to the forums.  Make sure to visit different areas of the country, it is very diverse!!!!!

Nice post and to the point.  I wish I could go now.  My country (USA) is going to h@ll in hand basket.  Unfortunately I ll have to work here for 10 more years so I can make profit on my house and save enough money.  We will be coming back to visit next year can't wait.  Mike 'the iz monsta'

That's funny.  Mexico are you out of your mind