I'm married to an Indian and moving to Pune.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make this move easier on me? I've been to Inida many times, but not to live. I'm not interested in sticking out, maybe making some other American or foreign friends. Not sure what I will do for work, or just return to school. I am into gardening and horses. Not so sure how I will get my horse fix there though. My husband and I have no kids, might not, we have 2 dogs and we love each other dearly. I was hoping to find contacts with others who are in Pune or anywhere else. I know I'm not alone.
If anyone feels like communicating please do.
Mel

I would bring along plenty of candy.

Hi beemelissa,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Pune forum.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi Mel,

I am also an American married to an Indian. We live here in Pune. I have now been here myself for 7 months. There is a very large expat community here, so you are bound to meet people. We have a handful of expat groups which meet up and have events and promotions.

There is a lot I could say to advise you, but one thing I can tell you is choose the right area of town based off of what you are looking to get out of the city. Places to live vary from one side to the other of Pune. Koregaon Park, is where most foreigners are concentrated, but due to the concentration it is my belief that the scammers flock to this area because they know there are a lot of innocent lost foreigners wandering around. A lot of my friends have gotten a lot of trouble with being harassed and stared at a lot more in that area....where I live where there is no foreigners really and I get non of these crazy hassles.

I really would love to answer or even give you websites and groups and contacts. Whatever you may need. If you want you are more than welcome to shoot me a private message, and we could go from there.

Kathleen

I thought maybe a list of quick tips might help for me to post here for other peoples reference. I didn't think about that before.

1. Choose the right place to live.

2. Find an Indian friend(or spouse)....they can give you the ins and outs of things.

3. Find out how foreigners become subjected to being ripped off. So it doesn't happen to you

4. Get used to the staring.The majority of it is curiosity, and some of it will be because you are with an Indian husband.

5. Know where to go and when. And know where not to go when. Also, know where you are going and what clothing is best.

6. Ask another expat if you can't figure something out.

7. If you have an Indian spouse. They need to be prepared to be your guide. Also, they need to be open to trying understand what you will be going through. There will be days where you absolutely hate it, and they will not understand why certain things upset you. So, communication is key.

Those are just a few...

Hello Kathleen,
I read your post and am really keen to hear more about your experiences. My husband and I will be moving to Pune sometime end of this year and we are just now sorting the moving, and sussing out health insurances etc.

I would love to hear more about how you managed, so if you are open, may I ask you some questions?

Smilingorchid wrote:

Hello Kathleen,
I read your post and am really keen to hear more about your experiences. My husband and I will be moving to Pune sometime end of this year and we are just now sorting the moving, and sussing out health insurances etc.

I would love to hear more about how you managed, so if you are open, may I ask you some questions?

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Private or Here.

Kat

Hi Kat,

Thank you for agreeing to take my questions.
To begin with, I am curious to know which moving firm you used, and what was your experience with it?

We actually had barely anything. So we just chucked everything and started over with the exception of 6 suitcases. If your husband is getting a transfer with his company then lots of times the employer has a team in HR to help you with that. We do have several Expat companies here in Pune which help with such things. They would be only thing I could personally recommend.

Pre-locate
Everything Expats
Lexagent

These companies do a number of things to help assist people in the process of moving to India. Me and my husband didn't require such a company because we didn't have anything to really move and my husband is knowledgeable due to being Indian about how to get a flat and everything like utilities set up. All this was a plus because we didn't have to
Pay someone to do it for us. 

Is your husband already here and set up or would you both be coming together?

Hi Kat,

Thank you for your advice.
We are in the process of moving, and like you and your husband, do not have much to move. This would officially be the 5 country we are moving to. That said, India is quite particular.

My husband has been told to pick whichever relocation company we wish to use, but they all seem dodgy online :-P so I was hoping to tap into your experience.

Heres another question:

When you moved to Pune, did you immediately move into a rental or did you use service apartments initially?

I am working on some projects that will take me to pune later than my husband, and I am trying to suss out how to workout the timeline.

sigh.. this is all happening very quickly :-) another adventure..

Kat, how long have you been in Pune?

My husbands case was very different. He was not asked to be moved with in the company by the company. He put in the request for transfer. So, he was on his own for most of everything. They only offered to pay for the extra luggage cost. Housing was all left up to him.

Every company seems to differently. Some employers will do absolutely everything for you down to finding you a flat and getting all set up. Others tell you to do everything yourself and give them the receipts.

The three companies I listed I know the people that own them through social gatherings with other expats. And they are very much involved in the community. They either have the resources or of contractors with the resources to help with everything in your relocation. They also are into real-estate and can help you find a flat. I don't know if your husband will be working on expat salary or Indian Salary. So, that as well can and will effect how you decide to move. My husband came here with no re-location package and was getting paid an Indian salary so these agents would not have worked for him. He wouldn't have been able to afford such agents.

He actually stayed with a friends family until he found a flat that he liked. And that process took about a month. I think he could have found something a lot faster if he had more of a break from work to look during the day.

We actually had the timeline issue as well. My husband actually moved a year and half before me. I moved here this January. So, almost 9 months.

Wow!
One and a half years before you moved. Your husband must have got everything organised before you came over.

Kat, how are you liking Pune? Oh and before I forget, what are the few things you have not found in Pune? I checked out their malls during my visit and was immediately smiling lol!lol! Im so silly!! but hey, takes little to keep me happy :-)

I went to Kalyani Bakery during my visit and loved their oven-fresh cookies.. they are super yum! Have you tried them? Beats Marks & Sparks :-)

Just curious...how easy is it to make friends or meet expats rather in Pune? How did you people get visa s longer than 6 month tourist visa? Did your spouses get entry visas for you? I have no clue how this works.

Smilingorchid wrote:

Wow!
One and a half years before you moved. Your husband must have got everything organised before you came over.

Kat, how are you liking Pune? Oh and before I forget, what are the few things you have not found in Pune? I checked out their malls during my visit and was immediately smiling lol!lol! Im so silly!! but hey, takes little to keep me happy :-)

I went to Kalyani Bakery during my visit and loved their oven-fresh cookies.. they are super yum! Have you tried them? Beats Marks & Sparks :-)

Yes, My husband had most things sorted, but there was a lot that he hadn't. The apartment was pretty much a bachelor pad. I think a lot of the prep that was not done had to do with the kitchen. He lived off of Maggie Noodles(aka Indian version of Top Ramen). So there were a lot of kitchen tools, food, spices pots and pans that we had to get. :)

I love Pune. I do live a lot different of a life than your typical "expat". I more or less live a local Indian life. We don't have a lot of extra money to spend on a lot of the socialization that happens with expats because I simply can't afford it. A lot of expats enjoy partying here, and that just doesn't fit into our lifestyle or budget. In addition to the great malls we have a lot of international food stores, and we have companies who can provide you with meat that you do not have access to in your regular grocery stores. There is one thing big Indian cities have and that is huge malls with stores that you might even not find back home. You just have to  be prepared to pay the prices.

I've never been to that bakery, but there are some others I have been to that are to die for. I don't live on that side of town so I haven't tried as much.

beemelissa wrote:

Just curious...how easy is it to make friends or meet expats rather in Pune? How did you people get visa s longer than 6 month tourist visa? Did your spouses get entry visas for you? I have no clue how this works.

Friends: now that's a hard one. Again this brings me back to the question of are you and your husband living on Indian income or expat income. The income makes all the difference. We have a lot of expats from all over the world. And if you are a social butterfly you will not be short of people to choose from to socialize with. We live on a single Indian income, and I can not afford to live the expensive lifestyle which expats live. So, it's hard for me because a lot of expats spend time at expensive restaurants and go to all the party/social events in which again as I mentioned before does not fit into my lifestyle or pocket.

So the answer to the big question would be that yes you there are plenty of expats here which you can connect and find friends amongst

When I applied for my visa, I had an option to apply for 6months, 5yrs, or 10yrs. So I applied for 10yrs. If your husband still holds his Indian passport then and you have been married more than 1yr. You are eligible for PIO Card.

Hi Mel,
    I am a Canadian woman married to an Indian husband. I will be settling in Mumbai. I have the wonderings also. My husband and I choose the Colaba area.I do have a pension an a freelance online business so the money is higher then Indian income.
   Expats can be helpful...kinda. I was in a group of mainly work based expats with the high incomes. Partying etc. I ended up dropping out of that group.
   Being married to an Indian spouse is much different.I think there needs to be more groups just for us.I do know a few who are married to Indian spouses. I don't feel so much the staring part of it. I do get sales pitches at me a lot tho.
   I have visited lots and my husband is quite good with advising.We stay in the Colaba area and I think they think we are tourists or  he is my guide. I have found people friendly and polite.  I am looking forward to meeting people like myself.Regards, Gail:)

hi

Christine wrote:

Hi beemelissa,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Pune forum.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

thanks for the welcome.

it looks like i'll be moving to indiain late November or early december.

im excited to be with my husband, but im concerned that i'll have nothing to do while he is at work.

i have 2 dogs that i'd like to bring with me. did anyone else bring their pets???

Hello Melissa,

I am from Southern Part of India, the City of Madras which is now called Chennai.  I am married to a nice sweet blonde lady from Manchester MA (not from Peabody mall off of South 128. We both met at MIT 15 years ago and we both teach at University of North Carolina Charlotte.

We both lived in Pune for 2 years 6 years ago when I worked for the National Chemical Laboratories as a Visiting scientist and my wife Susan pursued M.S. in computer science. Pune is a nice clean city and a very educated population. A lot of Americans live there. My wife's sister and her husband now live in Pune and they work for the Proctor and Gamble (HQ in Cincinnati OH). You will find a lot of Americans in Pune and Bangalore which is today the hub of hi-tech.

I know a few high Indian Army officials who live in Pune with horses. India has inherited the British legacy and not be surprised if you see many retired Army officials who rear horses and also play polo.

My wife Susan and I will be happy to help you with whatever you like to ask. What made you move to India?

RaM

hello!!!
im so glad to know im not the only one moving to india.
im excited, yet nervous.

pm message me.

My mail is***. You are welcome to communicate and if we can be of any assistance please feel free to write. Which part of Boston do you live? My in laws live in Manchester by sea.

Do not be nervous; India is a safe country and the nation was formed 4000 years ago with the blend of Mongols, Greeks, Portugese, French, Jewish (In Kerala there is a Synagogue which is the oldest in the Commonwealth), British came in 1775 and were there for 200+ years. I will give you a connection between India and US (Boston).

General Cornwallis who lost the war went to Ireland and then was sent by Her Majesty the Queen to India as a ViceRoy (Governor General of India) and after he went there, he started to oppose the British policies and decided to remain in India. He is buried in India in a place called Gorakhpur not far from Benaras.

Eliah Yale who founded the Yale University was the Governor of Madras now Chennai. He robbed money from the Indian merchants through bribes. The money he earned he build the Yale college. Yale was originally from Boston.

Good luck and do not be nervous

Ram

[moderated: off topic]

Consider yourself lucky - you'll have an expat community that speaks English and locals who speak English in no time. In the mean time if you ever want to holiday in the no-expats-only-tourists world called Kochi, message me. :)

Fiona